Discussion thread: A2 dumb LED rings - (Onion Ring)

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A2 dumb LED rings - (Onion Ring)

If they are all plugged in, they will all light up. I can't imagine there can be a processor on there for ~$15.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Will this allow me to put in 3 different colored LED's and choose between them or will this just light up all 3 at once? :thinking:
Speaking of which... Vince, will the Onion Ring work with just one LED in place? (I'm thinking über low LED level.)

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will this allow me to put in 3 different colored LED's and choose between them or will this just light up all 3 at once? :thinking:

As the name suggest "dumb", they light up 3 at once.

Think of it as the original A2 ring, plus a LDO voltage regulator so it works with rechageables and a LED driver which supplies a safe constant current(user-adjustable) to the LEDs. And nothing else. Nothing fancy or tricky.

I am scare to #@$# to make microcontroller versions because someone's lawyer may come after me :nana::nana::nana:.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Speaking of which... Vince, will the Onion Ring work with just one LED in place? (I'm thinking über low LED level.)

Yes it will work with 1 LED but it has to be in the first channel of the LED driver otherwise it won't regulate properly.
Shall I send you datasheet of the LED driver? I'll PM you right away.

Last edited:

SaturnNyne

Enlightened

I've found I don't have a lot of use for my A2 so I skipped the aviatrix because I couldn't justify investing that much in it, but I'd be interested in one of these if it's affordable enough. As much as I like my unique Y-G leds, being able to switch to red would make it a lot more useful for me. I'd probably like to have the leds included though, since I'm not sure where to buy 5mms.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

you have so much demand for these, luckily time is no option for me. i will take 1-2 depending on final demands for it. i cant wait to learn more.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd probably like to have the leds included though, since I'm not sure where to buy 5mms.

Be careful, you might have your Flashaholic status revoked if you really don't know anywhere to buy any 5mm LED's! :)

SaturnNyne

Enlightened

Be careful, you might have your Flashaholic status revoked if you really don't know anywhere to buy any 5mm LED's! :)
Uh oh... But I'm a power-LED/incandescent/hotwire flashaholic! I generally like my LEDs (potentially) bright and with a non-horrible white tint... ;)

But now that you've shamed me I'll have to go figure out where I can get them. :sigh:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh oh... But I'm a power-LED/incandescent/hotwire flashaholic! I generally like my LEDs (potentially) bright and with a non-horrible white tint... ;)

Its really not that hard. Where do you buy your power LED's? The Shoppe, DX? Thats a good start. Then there is Newark, digikey, and even radio shack. I hear ya though, there wasn't much use to bother with them before this :)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

These are so cool (and so cheap!) that I'm going to express my interest for one more just in case I get an A2 sometime in the future.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

These are so cool (and so cheap!) that I'm going to express my interest for one more just in case I get an A2 sometime in the future.
yeah thats what im sayin grip! i dont have one yet. i have to wait 2 months before i can spend more, cuz i just bought 4 lights this week (thats 2 months of expendables i have budgeted) lol :sssh::broke:

edit: 6 lights this week

Last edited:

SaturnNyne

Enlightened

Its really not that hard. Where do you buy your power LED's? The Shoppe, DX? Thats a good start. Then there is Newark, digikey, and even radio shack. I hear ya though, there wasn't much use to bother with them before this :)
Exactly, I truly never had any need or desire to buy a 5mm before this ring. I can't even remember the place I last bought an led from, it's been a long time since I've felt like upgrading something, but after looking around I did find that the Shoppe has a small 5mm selection, as you say. So if I must buy my own, I'll find a way... er, like a proper flashaholic. I guess.

Tronic

Newly Enlightened

koala,

I am also interested in the datasheet of the LED driver.
Do you have a datasheet of the LDO?

-Daniel
Yes it will work with 1 LED but it has to be in the first channel of the LED driver otherwise it won't regulate properly.
Shall I send you datasheet of the LED driver? I'll PM you right away.

Optik49

Enlightened

I'm interested in one. I would love to see some beam shots side by side with a stock A2.