Do certain drivers cause issues with protected Li-ion batteries?

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
I've got a NiteCore SRT3, and I power it with a Fenix 16340 with built-in USB charging. Every so often, when switching the light to its highest output, the battery's protection circuit will trip and I have to turn the light off and on again. This seems to happen even when the battery has a decent charge and does not appear to be temperature related.

Just tonight, the battery that exhibited that sort of behavior died completely while in my Fenix PD25 on turbo. No output at all even with around 80% charge level. Less than two full charge cycles on it over the last six months.

I have a second identical 16340 that I've been using in the SRT3. It started doing the odd cutout thing too, and it's only a month old. I never see any issues when using the 16340s in my PD25, so now I'm sort of worried that something about the NiteCore is pissing off the batteries. Does this seem likely? Given that it's designed to operate with fairly consistent output levels on anything between 0.8 and 4.2 volts, I imagine the driver setup isn't the simplest.

Thoughts from experts?