Do Flashlights Scare Coyotes?

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
Do the coyotes go after the javelinas?

Good question. I've never heard of that happening, and I see lots of coyotes and javelinas when I'm at my in-laws house in central AZ. The Verde River flows through their property and and coyotes and javelinas live along the riverbed. Coyotes live mostly on rabbits, rodents and carrion. Up close, a full-grown javelina looks bigger than a coyote, so I doubt the adults are at risk. I can attest that javelinas do run from flashlights!

DM51

Flashaholic
I Hit them again with the light, they take off running again, and usually continue until back in the brush. I did not get this response with <200 lumen type lights.
I didn't know you had any <200 lm lights. :D

[Edit - I should explain for the benefit of those who don't know: most of Mr. Luthor's lights are ~50,000 lm, and would set fire to anything within 100 feet. No wonder the coyotes ran off, lol]

Last edited:

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Vortus- In a word, No. we "Massholes" cant even order pocketknives through the mail, and even stun guns are illegal....the laws here are pretty draconian as compared to other states in New England (Maine and Vermont come to mind).

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sheesh, I never thought that California (where I live) would be considered an easy state when it came to ordering cool stuff! Maybe it actually is.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Grab a couple boxes of those snap-n-pop things for kids during 4th of July season (or online). Those scare away coyotes quickly.

Try an air horn. Like the ones used for boats or sporting events.

Those work well, too, as does running at them. They get VERY scared when they see a large animal coming after them. I don't suggest this, but it's been done, and has worked.

~Brian

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vortus- In a word, No. we "Massholes" cant even order pocketknives through the mail, and even stun guns are illegal....the laws here are pretty draconian as compared to other states in New England (Maine and Vermont come to mind).

Just because they say you can't doesn't mean you can't. Assorted walking stick/cane swords are available with nobody knowing till it's needed. Then I'd deal with the law after. Hehe what about bottle rockets and a glove.

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Tygger has a good suggestion...loud sounds like an air horn would startle just about any wild animal (or domestic one for that matter). I personally wouldnt trust that any of those "snap" noisemakers would scare anything-the air horn is probably their best bet.

I know the Military is using various types of "strobe lasers" to disorient people and crowds, but, I doubt VERY highly that type of technology will be made commercially available anytime soon.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the Military is using various types of "strobe lasers" to disorient people and crowds, but, I doubt VERY highly that type of technology will be made commercially available anytime soon.
my buddy came from Iraq few years ago, they had steady lasers, no strobes, those lasers don't disorient anyone, at check point they are used to point at approaching cars, so he knows to stop or next will be bullets. any strobe light or laser can be defeated by either turning away, or closing your eyes.

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Vortus- If I'm in an area where I'm concerned that I may be in contact with critters that may do harm to me (frankly the two-legged variety concerns me more sometimes than anything that resides in the woods), I carry my .45 ACP or my 12 gauge Mossberg. I am licensed legally to do so, but, I don't carry too often- I don't see a need to on most of my camping/fishing/hiking excursions.

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Alpg88- I wasnt referring to weapons lights, only some these goofy things that our tax money is being spent on by our government in the "less-than-lethal" category. I used to have one of those projected dot lazer sights, and it certainly gets peoples attention VERY quickly for sure!!!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my .45 ACP or my 12 gauge Mossberg. I am licensed legally to do so, but, I don't carry too often- I don't see a need to on most of my camping/fishing/hiking excursions.
lucky you, in my city you can't even buy a guns and ammo magazine.
stun guns are illegal, spring and gravity knifes illegal but black powder guns are legal,go figure.

thou i took the time and effort $$ years ago, and got my pistol and rifle licences, thou i would still get arrested if i got caught carrying pistol.
now i doubt i would be able to get them.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alpg88- I wasnt referring to weapons lights, !!
me neither, my buddy described it as a big azz flashlight with a beam about 2" in diameter.

he also told me, which surprised me a bit, they had regular dorcy 6v lantern, exactly the same ones i used as a host for my mods.

Last edited:

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Alpg88, geez, are you a fellow "Masshole"?? It sounds that you're stuck in a similar situation to what those of us in this State have to go through. I'm glad I received my Class A concealed permit some time ago, and keep it current.

I apologize to the original poster- I'm not trying to hijack your Thread:(

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alpg88, geez, are you a fellow "Masshole"?? It sounds that you're stuck in a similar situation to what those of us in this State have to go through. I'm glad I received my Class A concealed permit some time ago, and keep it current.

I apologize to the original poster- I'm not trying to hijack your Thread:(
no i,m nyc

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

Massachusetts is not exactly a hotbed of libertarianism, but it's not quite that bad, either. For example, you can mail order any edged tool you want to pay for, unlike what's now going on next door in New York state.

CrowdGather

Newly Enlightened
If slingshots are legal then carry one of those with some .44 round ammo. I carry my slingshot when I walk my little fluffy dog, but I have never had to use it. I have friends on a slingshot forum that swear that a nice smack is a very effective deterrent.

Curias

Newly Enlightened
Why not just leave them alone. Coyotes are pretty small, and VERY rarely bite people. There have only been 2 recorded cases of fatalities ever, and one was thought to be a half wolf hybrid, the other killed a toddler. I have lived around coyotes all my life and never heard of a single attack. And yes, they are very hungry here too. Seriously, they weigh 15-45 pounds.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Curias!

I agree. They are part of the ecosystem. What do you expect when you live near open spaces? They keep the other critters like jack rabbits in check.