Do Flashlights Scare Coyotes?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My experiences with wild animals and lights has been along the lines of making them curious. But if you're in a place you can shoot at them, it helps to see them.

hotlight

Enlightened
flashlight can confuse them, might scare some. might cause others to come closer and investigate(unlikely).
loud noises approaching them+bright light=good chance they may never come back to that area.(I think)

park in a garage if possible(wife)

conservation on 3 sides=problem not going away.

with the restrictions you're facing, I'd ask city/county for help.(or move, yes its extreme)

side note: mountain lion not scared of bright lights

sounds sarcastic, are you allowed to throw rocks at them?

Qoose

Enlightened
I've been attacked by two dogs that just were not fond of me for some reason. Both times I was minding my own business. Thankfully the first time the owner got it back in time, but the second time I had to give the thing a boot to the face.

I'd imagine coyotes to be more fierce IF they were to attack. Most of the time they would avoid people, but if they do, remember to keep your calm, and defend yourself however you can. Both times I made it away from the dogs unscathed. Clothing could have used some work though.

Hellbore

Enlightened
I know from experience that pepper spray can deter a dog.

I was once chased by a dog who seemed to really want to bite me, and a spray of pepper spray made him turn tail and run.

Your mileage may vary... but the stuff seems to work pretty well on them so it should work on coyotes. Bears too are said to respond well to it.

Mdinana

Enlightened
Sounds like your wife needs to man up! Pun intended.

Seriously though, she outweighs most of them 2:1 or 3:1 (or hell, it could be more, I don't know your wife's size). If she has a toddler or something I could see the concern. But really, of all the things to be afraid of, a coyote isn't really the one that should top her list. Mountain lions or bobcats, real wolves, random guy for a mugging/rape, etc. Is she afraid to leave the house? Try some xanax.

Do I understand you right in that pretty much any sort of distance/projectile weapon is out of the question? How about a regular baseball bat, or a tomahawk? Even an Airsoft pistol might be a viable option (though I've never heard of anyone using that)

jupello

Enlightened
Try an air horn. Like the ones used for boats or sporting events.

That should work on scaring them away. Also high enough fence could keep them away from your property.
From what I've seen animals don't really register light as a threat..the light intensity change/movement of the light might draw their attention but that alone is not enough to scare them.
Those coyotes sure seem pretty bold if they attack dog or child that's near an adult. :duh2:

DM51

Flashaholic
Any wild animal will initially be wary of something it hasn't encountered before. Once they learn it doesn't represent any threat to them, they will lose their fear of it. Your light may initially startle a coyote, but it will soon realise it isn't a threat and it will thereafter ignore it.

When they've lost their fear and become bold enough to come into towns and cities, coyotes/foxes/other scavengers can be a real nuisance, and sometimes dangerous. A pellet gun or shotshell loaded with rock salt instead of lead will see off most nuisance animals, but if you aren't permitted to use those, there really isn't much you are going to be able to do except organise a petition to put pressure on the authorities to deal with the problem.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright light + fear in "yotes? NOPE.

In-laws in mid Florida development are being overrun w/ 'yotes. No firearms allowed and since it a retirement development any really loud 'gunshot' type sounds will only attract police and rescue / ambulance [too many "sudden" sounds = myocardial infarction].

One idea is to put a handful of gravel in a can and seal it up. Make up several and when you see a 'yote heave the can in their direction. They run like Satan himself is coming.... They learn to stay away from places that pose a risk.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
One idea is to put a handful of gravel in a can and seal it up. Make up several and when you see a 'yote heave the can in their direction. They run like Satan himself is coming.... They learn to stay away from places that pose a risk.

Yup. Shaker cans work nicely. I actually still had the one I made for puppy training. I keep one on the table outside and two in the garage. I often see coyotes over the fence in the back yard, mostly from lighting up the woods playing with a flashlight. Making big noise near them is the next best thing to causing them discomfort. They will get brave when they get hungry though.

Pepper spray, howver, is a lot like a gun....it's no good if you don't carry it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
lights don't scare them, people do, they know where there are moving lights there are humans.
if firearms are forbidden where you live, use paintball gun, if they come too close, it will sure teach them to stay the hell away. and no jail time.
even thou coyote are wild animals, they aren't stupid

ypsifly

Enlightened
A couple years ago I was fishing a spillway below a local dam at night. I had caught a few walleye and having forgotten my stringer at home, I just kept them next to me on the bank. It was getting cold out so I didn't worry too much about spoilage.

I started to notice and hear coyote on the berm behind me and some of them started coming down and before I knew it, I was surrounded. They must have smelled the fish and they got pretty close, about 35 yds or so. There were maybe five. Shining them did nothing. At the point that I had enough I picked up a chunk of re-bar and started banging it on a fence post and shouting at them. I even threw a few rocks. A few minutes of that scared them off. It was a nervous walk back to the truck after that.

We have them all over Michigan. Even in downtown Detroit. They had to shoot one not too far from where the Red Wings play a couple years ago. There was an article in the local news about them killing pets in one of the northern 'burbs just last week.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ those were some real hungy cayotes.

i wouldn't rule out that some ppl feed them. thus teaching them to come close to humans, and not be afraid.
i know few retards that feed rats.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It appears my local coyotes which have been relatively rare so far here in coastal CT are not yet acclimated to my DEFT and other bright lights, so while I did report on actual case responses of them fleeing when my *BRIGHT* lights hit them, I realize I should add pepper spray and sound makers to my preventions.

Often times I see them in a very large open field. Hitting them with the light has them tear off running. If I stop the light, they frequently stop and look at me, as if assessing the cost benefit ratio of fear/food. I Hit them again with the light, they take off running again, and usually continue until back in the brush. I did not get this response with <200 lumen type lights, but I hardly did a controlled experiment. But I don't question the other good feedback/experiences in this thread.

I contacted our local city dog warden who says they are horrified by their growth explosion and increasing reports of eating domestic pets. They are unable to do anything as the coyotes are under the jurisdiction of the CT state gaming system. I contacted them, and they gave me a treehugger phone response which I paraphrase as "they are all God's children." I politely thanked her, while silently hoping she has a favorite cat or dog that will be eaten by one sometime soon. She mailed me a pamphlet about how to learn to live with them, and how we have encroached on their territory, etc.

The funniest response to uber bright lights are with deer. It is like the light beam hits them between the eyes like a 2 x 4 and they freeze. I know that behavior is not funny-'ha ha' if they do it on the highway to an approaching car. I don't know how any animal or human can avoid running into a tree trunk after being blasted with a DEFT type beam--especially after you have your night adapted vision fully online.

grizz660

Newly Enlightened
I've used a HID light that I bought from Sam's Club auction site to shag them out of the field. I was able to see the glowing eyes for 500 yards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, the light I used was a Power On Board 35 Watt HID.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The dingos ate my baby!!!"

I have coyotes in my neighborhood. They prey on the jack rabbits in my neighborhood. I wish they would take down the cats that crap in my yard. I personally don't feel threatened by them. They see people and lope away.

I had a dog run up to my wife and I one night. I had a turboheaded 9P with me at the time. It did not slow the canine down. The first thing the friendly pooch did was lick my flashlight.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've got lots of unwelcome "guests" in my neighborhood. First we were inundated with chipmunks, now it's coyotes. The coyotes are pretty bold and look starving. I can see their ribs in at least 2 cases.

Is it worth pointing a bright flashlight on them to scare them away? How about strobe?

I told my wife to flash him then throw the flashlight at him and scream like a banshee if he doesn't run. I never saw coyotes my life before this year. Now I know of at least 3 different ones I've seen this week. All different sizes. Each one always alone when I see him.

Not around here (Massachusetts). All it does is let you see them doing the mental math as they stare at you: "Food? Not food? Food? Not food? Food?" I'm serious.

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
LOL JNewell! I too am a "massHole", but I did have an experience camping over the weekend that may be of some assistance.

My girlfriend and I went camping at the Granville State forest on the MA/CT border, where the Park Rangers warn everyone up front to NOT leave food and/or anything with a "strong scent" in your campsite-they recommend locking up your food in your car at night, and they come around to pick up your trash daily. That being said, she and I were out fishing, and missed our opportunity to turn in our trash to the ranger, so we decided to walk up to the ranger station from our campsite (which is approx a 1/2 mile).

The only items we had on hand for our little trek were 3 different flashlights: my IlluminaTi with a 10440, an MTE SSC P7 Bin C light with a 18650 cell, and my latest addition to my flashlight arsenal a Trustfire TR-1200 with 3 18650's( comparison YouTube vid here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjlRYZRJ_zo) and my trusty CRKT Tactical sheath knife.

We were about 1/4 mile down the road when we heard coyotes in the woods to both the left and right of us, and they were pretty vocal. My girlfriend became terrified because she figured the pack was "sizing us up for the kill". First, I told her to stop walking, put down the trash and slowly back away from it. Then, I explained that typically humans are NOT on the "main menu" for coyotes in general, just to calm her emotions down a bit. We then turned on the SSC and the TR-1200 (on low setting). We could see a myraid of eyes peering back at us from the woods maybe 50 feet away. I was on the left and noticed the coyotes on my side were becoming a little too curious for my tastes, so I lit them up with the strobe feature on the TR 1200 on Boost. I don't know if they were scared, but, they certainly stopped what they were doing and seemed disoriented for a bit, enough for us to keep backing away and pause at a safe distance to see what was happening. Then, they just melted back into the woods, leaving the trash bag untouched.

I don't know if it was the VERY bright strobe, our human scent, or possibly a little of both, but, we were able to continue our journey to the Ranger station and back without further incident. And no, I wasnt going to leave a bag of trash sitting in the middle of the only access road without doing something with it!

As an aside, I don't typically hunt for trophies or anything I wouldn't be able to eat, but, coyotes have become so overpopulated here in New England that i have had an opportunity to hunt them on occasion in Vermont. The gentlemen I was with during one of the hunts used a .17 HMR to VERY good effect at coyotes within 100 or so yards, and the other gentleman had an "old school" .220 swift that was just as effective at longer ranges. If I were to have a Close Quarters weapon for things that go "bump in the night", a shotgun is an excellent choice for one-shot stops.

Lastly, I personally don't condone the hunting of predators as a regular practice, but, it's getting to the point where the numbers of coyotes has stretched their survivable levels, leaving much competition for the same amount of food. It's like the ecosystem has gone amok and these poor creatures are starving and doing anything to survive- a sad state of affairs to be sure.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cattleprod legal there? Haven't looked in forever, used to be a small bounty on coyotes here. We've had some, but guns are legal here, as are bows etc.