Do I really need/use so many modes? (Fenix L2D)

geobio

Newly Enlightened
I was looking to get a Fenix flashlight, and noticed that they commonly have up to 6 modes? I'm not sure whether that would be helpful, or rather... annoying at having to switch between so many modes.
(I don't have to use them, true. I just wanted opinions on whether having so many to switch between would be annoying/hassle)

I usually use it at home (when I'm wandering around the house at night to get something from the living room while someone is sleeping on the couch), or just to look around in places like the closet or under the bed (max distance 3 meters). However I do go hiking, etc, and would use it for lighting the trail, and occasionally looking at far away places. Usually we stick in a group, so I wouldn't really use the SOS or strobe function.

Based on your experience, how practical is it to have all the modes:
[FONT=??]• Two modes (6 types) of output, generation/turbo selected by turning the bezel (patented)
• General Mode: 12 lumens (55hrs) -> 53 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 107 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
• Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe

And if you have any opinions regarding Fenix Lights (specifically the L1 or L2 or similar, and not the TK10 that I've read many good reviews on), please do share it!
[/FONT]

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do I really need/use so many modes? (Fenix P2D)

I carry a P2D everyday. You can turn it on in LOW, or you can turn it on in TURBO, depending on if the bezel is tight or loose. So you never have to deal with SOS or strobe if you don't want to. From low you can tap the clicky to go up to medium, and then high if you need more light, or twist for TURBO.

I have used the strobe now and then to get people's attention. They will respond to a strobe faster than a constant light source. The SOS would only be handy if you were stranded somewhere.

Marduke

Flashaholic

You don't HAVE to use all of those modes. The two default modes you first encounter is low or turbo. If you don't want to bother with the rest, you NEVER have to even pass by them. But it's nice to have them if you need them.

pbs357

Enlightened

+1 and +2! Well put. I like having the modes, and the ability to turn on at low or full blast depending on my situation. The P2D rides with me most of the time, unless the NDI is taking a turn.

PayBack

Enlightened

I carry a P2D everyday. You can turn it on in LOW, or you can turn it on in TURBO, depending on if the bezel is tight or loose. So you never have to deal with SOS or strobe if you don't want to. From low you can tap the clicky to go up to medium, and then high if you need more light, or twist for TURBO.

I have used the strobe now and then to get people's attention. They will respond to a strobe faster than a constant light source. The SOS would only be handy if you were stranded somewhere.

That pretty much sums up my P1D CE. I can use Med, Low, or High without worrying about Strobe or SOS, though I have used strobe a couple of times. I'm not likely to need SOS (I hope) but more likely to need that than some silly strike Bezel. :p

da.gee

Enlightened

Fenix loves modes.

Like everyone says, you don't have to use the modes. I think the strobe is useful. I'm pretty unlikely to get in a situation where I need SOS so it is kind of annoying to have to pass it to get to Low but no biggie.

The P2D RB100 was my first cool light many months ago when I started flashlighting. I gave my wife an L2D. It is a longer, skinnier version of the P2D with comparable performance.

PROS: Compact, form factor (especially L1D and P2D) and as bright a light as most humans need. Surprising throw. Can have extensive run time on lower modes. Turbo really turbos! Tail stands. L2D can be L1D for really mini light.

CONS: Slippery, however, simple solutions exist for this. Modes (if you're cranky about that stuff). Not much else.

I like the P2D because of its smaller than L2D size and slightly better performance. The L1D is tiny but I'd miss the real Turbo of the L2D/P2D. It rocks. :rock:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Take a look at the L2Tv2 Q2. It only has two modes which you can change with a twist of the bezel. The L2Tv2 will work with a P2D body and switch if you want the small size.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

While I don't have a P2D, I do use the different brightness levels on my L0D Q4 regularly.

Actually I want more modes, primarily a low-low setting of maybe 1 or 2 lumens.

That and the Christmas light setting would be great!

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast

Three modes max, two modes preferable (low/high) is what I demand in a light. Switching between modes can become tedious. Strobe (perhaps not 10Hz) and SOS can be performed manually, if need be.

Katdaddy

Enlightened

I also edc the P2D. I have a bunch of lights but this one keeps finding it's way into my pocket every day. It is so small and bright. I keep the head loose so it turns on in low. Cycling through the modes is easy when needed.

gnef

Enlightened

I would not recommend keeping the light set on turbo. there have been a few threads of people who did this, and the light accidentally coming on in their pocket, and when it is insulated, it can become tremendously warm, even difficult to touch, and if done multiple times, could potentially damage the emitter.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened

I have the L2D and L2D CE, and I like the modes the way they are!

The only improvement I could think of would be to make the interface a bit like this new Jet interface which has three modes, and each one is independently programmable. There should be three modes in 2 groups, and these groups should be accessable by turning the bezel.
This way, one would have all possibilities open.
A purist could program very simple 2 stage lights without any strobe or SOS, people liking versality could program lights with 6 different brightness settings, and playful people could program lights with various strobe and SOS modes.

One could also program in the standard Fenix interface, just with the SOS behind strobe instead of high.

Cheers,

Julez

scottaw

Enlightened

I carried a P2D for a long time, and i thought it was fantastic. I only ever used, low med Hi, i never used anything blinky, and can't recall ever even needing turbo. Just using those 3 modes daily, you can make a battery last 2-3 months. I only switched to a novatac for the ultra-low and the ability to start at different levels.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

You don't have to use all the modes.

A click is always on or off, unlike some complex ones that go low - medium - high - strobe - SOS - off.

You can use it as a one mode light but keeping the head constantly tight or loose.

The light also resets after 2 seconds so if you were using strobe and turned the light off for a bit, it will come back on turbo.

There was never a specific L1 or L2, there were the L1+, L1P, L1S, L1T...(look here for their naming scheme).

The lights are much easier to use once you have them. It should take you all of 1 minute to understand the user interface.

The Olight T15 works differently, twist the head(loosen-tighten) to change modes and taps of the switch to access strobe and SOS.

:welcome:

Sevy

Newly Enlightened
I have a L1D, L2D, and P2D.

I have taken the L2D apart to place a slight diffuser on the inner side of the lens : now it gives a smoother beam. This is the light I use most. Inside the house I use mainly Low. Outside I mainly use Medium or High according to the ambient light. I rarely use turbo, but I like to have it available. I don't need the strobe and SOS, but I don't mind if they are present.

For me it would be the perfect light with more widely spaced levels, especially on the low side, for instance : 1 lm, 8 lm, 40 lm, max.

Sevy

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L1D, L2D, and P2D.

I have taken the L2D apart to place a slight diffuser on the inner side of the lens : now it gives a smoother beam. This is the light I use most. Inside the house I use mainly Low. Outside I mainly use Medium or High according to the ambient light. I rarely use turbo, but I like to have it available. I don't need the strobe and SOS, but I don't mind if they are present.

For me it would be the perfect light with more widely spaced levels, especially on the low side, for instance : 1 lm, 8 lm, 40 lm, max.

Sevy

How did you take it apart Sevy? It would be nice to have a less throwy light at times and I might be interested in modifying one of mine to do this.

Yes a 1 lumen low is better than a 12 lumen low in my opinion. That and a memory function (+ better knurling for grip) would improve already great Fenix lights.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The head just unscrews. You can achieve the same affect easier however with some satin cellophane tape over the outside of the lens. Not matte or clear, but satin. Works well to smooth the beam without eating too many lumens.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head just unscrews. You can achieve the same affect easier however with some satin cellophane tape over the outside of the lens. Not matte or clear, but satin. Works well to smooth the beam without eating too many lumens.

I haven't been able to unscrew the head of mine.
I do like the simple cellophane tape idea and I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
I was looking to get a Fenix flashlight, and noticed that they commonly have up to 6 modes? I'm not sure whether that would be helpful, or rather... annoying at having to switch between so many modes.
(I don't have to use them, true. I just wanted opinions on whether having so many to switch between would be annoying/hassle)

I usually use it at home (when I'm wandering around the house at night to get something from the living room while someone is sleeping on the couch), or just to look around in places like the closet or under the bed (max distance 3 meters). However I do go hiking, etc, and would use it for lighting the trail, and occasionally looking at far away places. Usually we stick in a group, so I wouldn't really use the SOS or strobe function.

Based on your experience, how practical is it to have all the modes:
[FONT=??]• Two modes (6 types) of output, generation/turbo selected by turning the bezel (patented)
• General Mode: 12 lumens (55hrs) -> 53 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 107 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
• Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe

And if you have any opinions regarding Fenix Lights (specifically the L1 or L2 or similar, and not the TK10 that I've read many good reviews on), please do share it!
[/FONT]

I started with the P1D, I am not a fan of turn head switching, it just feels cheap to me and I would always be anxious to get to the brightest mode and go past it. Or I would forget the order of brightness and have to look at them all first before going back and selecting it. So these days I just keep the P1D in the center pocket of my dashboard... Comes in hand when I drop something between the seat and gear shift.

The P3D works a lot better for me, keep the head screwed on and just click between turbo and strobe... All the other modes are useless to me... SOS? come on I bet not even 1:100,000 people in Los Angeles could recognize SOS or any other morse code... If I need help my tool of choice is the mobile phone...