Do LED Flashlights make you happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
they do indeed. I have been guilty of some "retail therapy" and purchasing a new light after something in life has me mad, upset, or down.

I immediately feel better and then spend the time reading about my new light while I wait for the mailman.

works for me. :shrug:

I'm guilty with this as well. Not just flashlights either. When I was told I have to have corneal transplants, I got a 2AA warm white Tactical Quark, did the same as Captain Spaulding said, reading reviews and checking out beamshots and felt all warm and fuzzy when I got it. Now that my surgery is this Wednesday, I (ironically) feel the need to get a new knife. No, I swear I won't tell the surgeon "An eye for an eye" when I get it.

Hellbore

Enlightened
If we are being honest, then yes, buying flashlights for me is not purely a practical thing, it is often times just a therapeutic hobby that makes it easier to get through stressful times of school, work, etc. and give me something fun to look forward to.

Sometimes (rarely) a family member or friend will give me a hard time for spending as much as I do on lights.

To them, I say, look: I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't gamble, I don't pay for hookers... If flashlights are an addiction, I say you could do a lot worse :D

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Absolutely. Folks wouldn't keep coming back here if all they needed was a tool. Lights offer satisfaction at many different levels.

And we're all probably a little bit crazy.... in a good way.

Geoff

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, flashlights make me happy. Within a short time it has raised to be my favourite hobby.

In a life which isn't always happy and fun, the flashlights enriching it and make it better. When I am bored with my job I can look forward to the next week when the new light will arrive, which actually makes it easier to withstand the days...

For me flashlights is mostly for fun. But now and then I actually can make serious use of them. And then it's nice to now they will do a great job! Because I have so many to choose between I always can pick the one which is best suitable for the situation!

The best with the flashoholity I think is when I can show my flashlights for friends, who are interested in flashlights, but not familiar with the new LED-technology.

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
Yep. Pretty much everything else is just depressing so it's good to have a simple hobby that I know isn't going to annoy me or just be another pest in my life.

I guess that'll last until I get into modding. :(

ASheep

Enlightened
I Love LEDs. The fact that I can get days of runtime, or retina-burning brightness out of the same light just amazes me, every single time I hit the switch on my Neutral Quark AA^2.
Having said that, I'm in love with my new A2 Aviator. I could stare at that beam all day, runtime be stuffed. :D
Friends and family think I'm nuts, my girlfriend thinks its "cute", but like Hellbore, I don't drink (much anymore), I don't smoke, do drugs or gamble. I only have a small collection of knives and lights. It's the little things that keep you happy. :D Good thing we've got this amazing community here to share our experiences! lovecpf

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED torches are positively Orgasmic !

The pleasure I get from my torches lasts longer too , not just hours.

So far , none of my torches have complained about how I handle them ... I do try to feed them with the best available torch food to keep them healthy.

I can turn them on easily with one hand.

The pretty ones are ideal companions and never get jealous if I take more than one out with me.

Torches don't usually need plastic surgery as they get older.

So yes , they do make me happy.

Xacto

Enlightened
Yes, buying flashlights makes me happy. Its a hobby and to be honest - purely a hobby because I am neither a LEO nor an EMT or Firefighter.
I do not work night shifts and power failures are something that happens..... nearly never in my neck of the woods.

Nonetheless I do select my lights with a possible defensive situation in mind.

The big thing with flashlights as a hobby compared to my other hobby scale modeling is - for my kits I need time to build them, but it gets dark every day so out comes the hobby, errr.... flashlight.

Cheers
Thorsten

vudoo

Enlightened
Buying lights definitely makes me happy. If I had the chance to use it in a real life situation it would probably make me happier!

bob4apple

Enlightened
The touch of a button- then night becomes day. You now know what is making those noises in the woods.

(If it's a skunk, you're not so happy :laughing: )

BarryG

Enlightened
Yes, my lights do make me happy and always put a smile on my face. It doesn't matter if I'm using one at work, getting up in the middle of the night, or outside around a campfire with family and friends. When you have a light that you can count on to always be ready when you need it or to blow someone's standard 2D mag away, I will always grin when I turn on a light.
Always carry a back-up, dead batteries can make you look like a fool.:oops:
2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Barry

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I like well made things. I like doing research before buying a well-made product. I wear a Tilley hat, Birkenstock dress shoes, Seiko Kinetic watch, etc. All great products. I'm waiting on my Nitecore D10 to arrive, another thought out and researched purchase :)
Oh, and yes, LED flashlights make me happy. Knowing more about them makes them even better.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
For years, my signature block included the line, "LEDs impress; incans satisfy." But thanks to improvements, today my LEDs satisfy.

bansuri

Enlightened
Ever use a high quality incandescent? Runtime isn't much of a consideration to me when I'm enjoying the unparalled color rendition, depth and clarity that my incan's bring to the table. If there is a situation where long runtime is needed, then I turn to LED, otherwise I stick to the superiorty of incandescents.
Glad that makes you happy. How did you manage to find your way into a thread about LED lights making one happy when you're such an Incan enthusiast? Just looking to bash someone with a different opinion?
No thanks to the Incan hand-warmers.
Go away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.