Do LED Flashlights make you happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bansuri

Enlightened
Ladies...

Ok Mossy, we're all friends here. I just don't think that this is an appropriate thread to barge into touting incans. I HAD an Aviator A2 and have a G2 (with aftermarket LED dropin of course) and didn't like them at all. If I have to spend more than that to get a "quality" Incan why bother?
This is the LED subforum.
One of my first posts was "how can I upgrade this A2 to LED?". Can't be done, sold it.
Regardless, I dig the efficiency, output, and mod-ability of LED lights, also the amazing level control and different modes available on different models.
It's an active market so there's always something new coming along.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Now boy's ............. eaaasy ...... Whoaa

Ok Mossy, we're all friends here. I just don't think that this is an appropriate thread to barge into touting incans. I HAD an Aviator A2 and have a G2 (with aftermarket LED dropin of course) and didn't like them at all. If I have to spend more than that to get a "quality" Incan why bother?
One of my first posts was "how can I upgrade this A2 to LED?". Can't be done, sold it.
Regardless, I dig the efficiency, output, and mod-ability of LED lights, also the amazing level control and different modes available on different models.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad that makes you happy. How did you manage to find your way into a thread about LED lights making one happy when you're such an Incan enthusiast? Just looking to bash someone with a different opinion?
No thanks to the Incan hand-warmers.
Go away.

Nobody was trying to "bash" you pal. Explain to me how stating my opinion was bashing you? If you can I will apologize, in the mean time, go away. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that in this LED thread but seeing as all anybody cares about these days is super long runtime and multiple modes of light, and not caring about the actual quality of that light, I couldn't resist posting my honest opinion. Quite amazing when someone get's like this after one post that might disagree with them.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not to drag this on and pick out every little thing that's said but, I can't understand, nor can I comprehend how ANYONE who owned an A2 aviator would want to upgrade it to LED after witnessing what the quality of light it produces. And selling it for that matter. If you were wanting LED why didn't you just but the A2L LED in the first place?

ragweed

Enlightened
Despite all the other bad, or unhappy things that may pop up in your life, do LED Flashlights make you happy?

Does buying and collecting flashlights make you happy, or at least add some level of pleasantness in your life, other than it being something you have to buy because of work, or for your commute?

OK .. The only thing that makes me Happy is a good Tool when I need it! My lights serve me well when I need light :nana:

bansuri

Enlightened
Ebow, I'm sorry to have used the word bash, sure seemed like you were questioning the validity of my opinion, I shouldve phrased it differently.

I wasn't blown away by the A2, just as I'm not blown away by many top shelf led lights because of their tint. I enjoy modding out my emitters in search of the perfect light. I'm just about there, but for me it's miles away from an Incan.

Pal, ladies, boys...:sigh:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Yes, my lights do make me happy and always put a smile on my face. It doesn't matter if I'm using one at work, getting up in the middle of the night, or outside around a campfire with family and friends. When you have a light that you can count on to always be ready when you need it or to blow someone's standard 2D mag away, I will always grin when I turn on a light.
Always carry a back-up, dead batteries can make you look like a fool.:oops:
2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Barry

why not two backups? :nana:

DM51

Flashaholic
Maybe I shouldn't have posted that in this LED thread
That is the only thing you've posted here that we can all agree with.

Your belligerent and trollish posting style has had an adverse and disruptive effect on several recent threads. Stay out of this thread, and refrain from further troublemaking in others, or you'll receive a suspension. You won't get another warning.

m3flies

Banned
Sure does. The range of different modes, durability, and customization leads me to ask myself how I didn't know about these great lights before February, 2010, when I first stumbled into this world. From work to play, and everything in between, can't wait for the opportunity to use them.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say they do make me happy, but I'll add that purchasing incan lights as well as LEDs make me happy. I recently bought an SF C2 - HA that can mostly be attributed to an attempt at cheering myself up after a pretty rough stretch of road in my life...and it succeeded in taking my mind off of things for a bit.

And I'm going to keep it incan for a bit at least, I figure I had better use up some older CR123s, and I had forgotten how sweet the beam of a stock P60 can be. But once those older batteries are gone, it will be getting one of my many Malkoffs...most likely my M61, which BTW, never fails to make me smile when I fire it up.

It's funny how flashlights capture my interest. I swore a long time ago that I was done buying new lights (for the first time)...that was many, many lights ago. Once I got my Ti Quarks, I decided that was it (for the second time), I'm not getting any more lights dammit! Well that was several lights ago. Sometimes I thing I must either be crazy or stupid...I have thousands of dollars (literally) tied up in lights, but every now and then, I feel the irresistible urge to buy a new one, and yes, 99% of the time they are LED, and yes, they do make me happy. :)

Last edited:

lostinwv

Newly Enlightened
Strangely... Yes, LED lights do make me happy. I have accumulated quite a few quality pieces over the past year or so, and I spend countless hours reading and researching on CPF to find my next acquisition. I have all the lights I need, and I could quit now and be fine. But, that ain't happening...

Dave

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes...

Except when I'm trying to figure out which combo to carry :thinking:

(Long runtime??? Kick-*** blaster light??? AA or lithium powered??? and so on)

clippper

Newly Enlightened
My ra clicky gets used and abused at work everyday. Even though I consider it a tool, eveytime I use it, it makes me happy:D

z17813

Newly Enlightened
For me I sort of fell into it as a hobby. One day I just sort of noticed I had 2 or 3 lights in the car, 1 on the nightstand and was carrying 1... at that point it is more than just being prepared, in fact some would say it is kind of sad :mecry: But heh it's more healthy (and marginally more socially acceptable ;)) than a drug habit

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most definitely. Playing with flashlights and being with my wife/kids makes me happy. Nullifies all the other stresses in my life. playing with flashlights with my kids...:twothumbs

Agreed, this is what it's all about for me as well. And since it sounds like we are being honest here I would say first light's where a required tool for my profession a handful of years ago. When I was done with that I stayed interested for the preparedness factor and for EDC.

The most honest answer is my enthusiast attitude began a few years ago when me and my family was going through some really hard times when my son's health was not so good. CPF was a place for me to get my mind off things and relax a bit, half of my earlier post came when I was in a childrens hospital with my son.

He is better now but my affection for CPF and lights has grown even stronger as I continue to learn, and it does not matter if it's LED-HID-Incan whatever because I am a flashlight enthusiast and even though I'm partial to LED as a enthusiast I keep my options open.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT AN EXCELLENT QUESTION!!!!!!!!!

Despite all the other bad, or unhappy things that may pop up in your life, do LED Flashlights make you happy?
YES! for many reasons!!!
..."If you heard someone talking about lumens, or lithium-ion batteries, 'Cree', 'good throw', 'nice pattern', how does it make you feel?
What happens when you hear someone mention Fenix, or Olight, EagleTac, or Surefire? What happens when you hear JetLight, or MG, or Nitecore, 4Sevens? Do you get tingles?"...
wOW!! yes I frequently (when appropriate)compare my mighty QUARK CR123 titanium to the lights EDC'd by Cops and other professionals!
If you heard someone talking about lumens, or lithium-ion batteries, 'Cree', 'good throw', 'nice pattern', how does it make you feel?
What happens when you hear someone mention Fenix, or Olight, EagleTac, or Surefire? What happens when you hear JetLight, or MG, or Nitecore, 4Sevens? Do you get tingles?
BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does buying and collecting flashlights make you happy, or at least add some level of pleasantness in your life, other than it being something you have to buy because of work, or for your commute?[/QUOTE]
Yes! at work, yes in a variety of social situations,
That would be an understatement!!

Does spending hours each day here, from waking up to the wee hours of the morning count?

WHAT AN EXCELLENT QUESTION! thanks

I live for this!!! I cherish each package I get from ENGLAND (LUMMI)
CHINA and of course 4 SEVENS, BATTJUNCTION, ELITE LED, LED SUPPLY, LIGHTHOUND!

Here is some recent personal history:
  • I gave my doctor a PREON NEUTRAL!!
  • A real cool (helpful) bigshot contract lawyer in DC got an QUARK NEUTRAL CR123. This should be more unique than an expensive watch!
  • The mechanic who servcies my vehicle got a Nuwaii to replace his lame 3AAA LED!
  • I want to get an older (over 60) mall security guard a JET I set on strobe, med , high (but $$$has prevented it) for being so helpful to members of my family recently. (something tells me that STROBE could save him at night going up against a wacko)
  • Another guy owns a carry out where I get onion rings, he really appreciates the coin cell UV used for currency dectection.
  • (same for an oldtimer cobbler who repaired a pair of boots)
  • Of course as a gentleman, I frequently give "an evening dinner date" a coincell LED.so she'll think of me when alone in the dark:crackup:
  • a group of young missionaires going to remote Africa got a few coin cell LEDs!
MAN I can't stop writing about this!! what a great question
  • On a recent lake cruise I gave the captian an green LED coin cell for reading maps in pitch black conditions.
  • a helpful toll collector on Penna Tpke(an avid hunter) got a BLUE coin cell LED for tracking blood, deer etc.
  • A motel housekeeeper at a place I stay often got an UV coin cell for "stains" :sick2:
  • A few years ago I saw some young Marines at a gas station near Quantico who were due to go overesas I gave them each a coin cell LED & thanked them for their service!
I sometime feel like "Johnny Appleseed", spreading the LED gospel!!

At a recent US Dept of Energy event I proudly whipped out my QUARK mini CR123 when an unenlightened individual questioned the performance of LED lighting! The folks there from CREE were impressed! The audience was awestruck.

I gotta stop writing about this because it's 3:45AM
but it gives me such joy!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, flashlights have *always* made me happy too. What kid doesn't like to play with lights at night? I sure did and that hasn't changed throughout my lifetime.

Hellbore

Enlightened
tsask - You captured something in your post that really resonates with me.

A big part of what makes LED's so fascinating to me is how much light they can produce from such a small package. This to me gives them a wow factor.

Most non-flashaholics are not prepared for the efficiency that the latest emitters have. At a recent family gathering, I was playing with my new Quark Mini Titanium 123, and someone asked "Is it bright?" and I said, "Oh, it's pretty darn bright for the size, I think!"

I let them play with it on High, and they said "Bright for its SIZE? What are you talking about, this is the brightest flashlight I have ever seen!" I had to tell them, Hey, this is just my pocket light, and not nearly my brightest light :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.