Do LED Flashlights make you happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
It is all about the buying of top quality gear that interests me. So many general use items these days are designed by accountants to be cheap to make and easy to sell.

There was an article in the local paper yesterday about an old guy who was given a pop-up toaster as a wedding present in 1947. He still has the same toaster and it looks and works like a new one!

Most products these days seem to be made to have an operating life of between 1 & 2 years (example: the last 3 toasters I have bought!!, VCR's, DVD players, amplifiers, washing machines, cordless phones etc) - no matter how much I spend, I still can't get gear that lasts.

With quality lighting products such as Surefire, Malkoff, etc you can really buy well and have a product that you know will last you a lifetime - that's the buzz I get with my involvement with CPF - it gives me access to products that the average Joe doesn't have access to and probably wouldn't buy anyway. I, unlike many others in the world, never buy on price!!

James.....:)

This point is relevant. It kinda makes you different and opens a different world in the dark.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep with my DX lights. They make me happy, even though sometimes I'm sad when they don't work but the hobby of fixing them to make them reliable makes me happy. Quality workmanship is satisfying, knowing you did it yourself is doubly so. I especially like how people's jaws drop when they see the likes of my Romisen R2 P60 lights, then they're like waaaa?! when I tell them it's only $25. Then I blow them away with my custom direct drive MC-E light. Better to build up the show than just blow their minds with an impossibly bright and impossibly expensive light. When they find it's only $40 or so to get into the hobby they jump on it and I've converted quite a few.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights bring a level of usefulness. If I were in the dark, I could say, "I'm happy to have this light with me." I could also say in the event of a failure "I'm unhappy/displeased it is not working".

In and of itself, no...they are a useful tool on hand. Do they make me happy...a thought to ponder.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Despite all the other bad, or unhappy things that may pop up in your life, do LED Flashlights make you happy?

If you heard someone talking about lumens, or lithium-ion batteries, 'Cree', 'good throw', 'nice pattern', how does it make you feel?

What happens when you hear someone mention Fenix, or Olight, EagleTac, or Surefire? What happens when you hear JetLight, or MG, or Nitecore, 4Sevens? Do you get tingles?

Does buying and collecting flashlights make you happy, or at least add some level of pleasantness in your life, other than it being something you have to buy because of work, or for your commute?

I enjoy quality things. From a very young age, I enjoyed exceptional or "over the top" things and hobbies. I took up shooting as a hobby, particularly longer range shooting (it involves skill, precision, concentration, and is very technical. I enjoy it as it allows me to find my "zen" so to speak.). Later I got into weight-lifting and full-contact Shaolin. Now am saving up for a Z06 Corvette, as I like sports cars as well. I don't do or own things for image, and I don't do them to impress people. I do them because I enjoy them. It just so happens that I enjoy nearly anything that "goes to 11", as they say. I find my zen in purity of purpose, and the technical. Liking LED flashlights is just an extension of my personality as they offer all of the things I seek in my hobbies.

Yes, I do derive joy from owning a 500+ lumen flashlight that will fit in the palm of my hand (Just bought a Nailbender SST-50 because the M61W didn't "go to 11" as I saw things). It's fun, and useful! I could care less how the girls at work roll their eyes when I talk about my flashlight hobby. Noone laughs now that we had to use one to insert a Foley.It lit up everything with glaring, relentless detail. My M61W is no-longer possessed of virgin eyes :faint:

*One girl at work said "If anyone rags on your flashlights, send them to me!" (the one who had to insert)

Last edited:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I enjoy quality things. From a very young age, I enjoyed exceptional or "over the top" things and hobbies. I took up shooting as a hobby, particularly longer range shooting (it involves skill, precision, concentration, and is very technical. I enjoy it as it allows me to find my "zen" so to speak.). Later I got into weight-lifting and full-contact Shaolin. Now am saving up for a Z06 Corvette, as I like sports cars as well. I don't do or own things for image, and I don't do them to impress people. I do them because I enjoy them. It just so happens that I enjoy nearly anything that "goes to 11", as they say. I find my zen in purity of purpose, and the technical. Liking LED flashlights is just an extension of my personality as they offer all of the things I seek in my hobbies.

Yes, I do derive joy from owning a 500+ lumen flashlight that will fit in the palm of my hand (Just bought a Nailbender SST-50 because the M61W didn't "go to 11" as I saw things). It's fun, and useful! I could care less how the girls at work roll their eyes when I talk about my flashlight hobby. Noone laughs now that we had to use one to insert a Foley.It lit up everything with glaring, relentless detail. My M61W is no-longer possessed of virgin eyes :faint:

*One girl at work said "If anyone rags on your flashlights, send them to me!" (the one who had to insert)

Do you ever surf CPF from the ward/emerg?

Status
Not open for further replies.