Do LED Flashlights make you happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsask - You captured something in your post that really resonates with me.

A big part of what makes LED's so fascinating to me is how much light they can produce from such a small package. This to me gives them a wow factor.
Most non-flashaholics are not prepared for the efficiency that the latest emitters have. At a recent family gathering, I was playing with my new Quark Mini Titanium 123, and someone asked "Is it bright?" and I said, "Oh, it's pretty darn bright for the size, I think!"
I let them play with it on High, and they said "Bright for its SIZE? What are you talking about, this is the brightest flashlight I have ever seen!" I had to tell them, Hey, this is just my pocket light, and not nearly my brightest light :D

Thanks Hellbore! That post means alot to me! It is a definite insight into how I view LED lighting and the life changing event a single LED can provide at any given moment!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dim blue ones make me terribly depressed, especially in a power outage. Like Gerber Infinity Ultra. On paper it's nice runtime but in reality you fire up some 100+ lumen lite with a warm tint and it really lifts your mood.

Basically anything lower than about 40-60 lumens makes me sad and the brighter you go, the happier it makes me.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

A big part of what makes LED's so fascinating to me is how much light they can produce from such a small package. This to me gives them a wow factor.

Most non-flashaholics are not prepared for the efficiency that the latest emitters have. At a recent family gathering, I was playing with my new Quark Mini Titanium 123, and someone asked "Is it bright?" and I said, "Oh, it's pretty darn bright for the size, I think!"

I let them play with it on High, and they said "Bright for its SIZE? What are you talking about, this is the brightest flashlight I have ever seen!" I had to tell them, Hey, this is just my pocket light, and not nearly my brightest light :D

+2 It really is hard to believe how so much light can come from such a tiny package! The XP-Es, XP-Gs, and Rebels are especially amazing to me due to their smaller appearance.

I can relate to the "brightest flashlight I've seen" situation. Every now and then, I get a comment from a non-flashaholic about how amazing my small little LED light is the brightest they have seen...funny thing is, it's usually an older light, like my L1D Q5 I carry at work! It's no slouch, but I worry their jaws might break if they saw one of my Quarks, my Wolf Eyes Sniper Q5, or especially my M61 powered 6P!

jawdropu.gif

wantsusa

Newly Enlightened
Most definitely it makes me happy, I gotta say I even loved the silly 1 w or less little LEDs of a few years ago...at least until I got onto this forum and bought my tk12 and preon..and wow everyone was right...I got smiling and I fell in love again with something I loved as a youth...with my incan mini mag 2AA and solitare...grrr stupid alkies leaking in my mag lights always and killing them...but I digress.

Would love to have more situations to use them, but oh well fun to just take out and play with and be outside in the sun or inside with the lights on and SEE the light stuff from the great LED's...now if only I had a more powerful one...and maybe something more lego'able ...uh oh maybe I am gonna have to make myself happier a few more times...

m3flies

Banned

It's amazing to see the reaction of non-flashaholics when using a " high end" LED. Inevitably though, it comes down to how much the light cost. Their shock will drive them away from buying such lights while we won't hesitate, at least not long. I think this will always be a dividing line between us and them.

Last edited:

4D223

Newly Enlightened
Hell yeah, I love the whole "preparedness" thing and being the only bloke in a hall full of people who will have a least 2 torches, maybe 3, along with spare batts, when the hall lights go down. Friends/family laugh at my "weird" hobby but who do they come to when all of a sudden they can't find something at the back of a cupboard! " Can I borrow your torch please?" I love LEDS!!!
Pete:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this is one of the few things in life where you can have cutting edge stuff that's actually useful and affordable. What's not to love.

YES! 100% Hence my "Rolex" comparison:thumbsup:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 It really is hard to believe how so much light can come from such a tiny package! The XP-Es, XP-Gs, and Rebels are especially amazing to me due to their smaller appearance
I can relate to the "brightest flashlight I've seen" situation... L1D Q5 I carry at work! It's no slouch, but I worry their jaws might break if they saw one of my Quarks, my Wolf Eyes Sniper Q5, or especially my M61 powered 6P!

I stilll EDC a P1D CE on keys (onRCR123) same effect..

"???.M61 6P?" wow! a TRUE GIANT KILLER!!! WTG!!:naughty:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is pretty cool being able to show something to somebody and be able to tell them that it is "state of the art." At least for the short period of time that it actually is state of the art.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Well yeah, flashlights and prozac keep my happy nerve stoked up. Seriously though, positive stimuli, be it flashlights, puppys, a loving wife, cute kids and so on tend to excite my bodies production of dopamine and endorphines. The ensuing results are pleasurable experiences hence happiness. And pursing the things I just mentioned sure beat setting around singing "All We Are Is Dust In The Wind". Chorus...

Q8iGunner

Newly Enlightened
Ever since I bought my first flashlight when I was 10 years old (I'm 31 now) every time I buy a flashlight, read about a new technology regarding flashlights or comparing the old incan's to the new led lights I'm happy and smiling:):grin2:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party:LED lights make me very happy :party:

Take a look at my new combo: Vintage 6P Bezel & tailcap + Fivemega 18500 body + Malkoff M61: This little fella really kicks ***.....:devil:

fivemega2001.jpg

d1337

Enlightened
The Geico commercial came to mind as I read this (..Mandy Pansy land!).

+1 what Burgess said.

I think you mean namby pamby land.

namby-pamby [ˌnæmbɪˈpæmbɪ]
adj
1. sentimental or prim in a weak insipid way namby-pamby manners
2. clinging, feeble, or spineless a namby-pamby child

Also... I just told Mandy that you called her a pansy and she is pissed. You may want to lay low because I think she could probably kick your a$$. :crackup:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's amazing to see the reaction of non-flashaholics when using a " high end" LED. Inevitably though, it comes down to how much the light cost. Their shock will drive them away from buying such lights while we won't hesitate, at least not long. I think this will always be a dividing line between us and them.

Yes, isn't it interesting how different we can value things? The same person who never will pay the price for a quality light (which we don't consider as expensive at all) can easy spend money on new mobile telephones several times per year (cost like a good light), new rims to the car (each may cost like the flashlight they considered too expensive) and there are many more examples, of course.

Personally I have noticed that often when I really NEED something, for example a new pair of jeans or a new jacket, I doubt about getting them because I don't want to spend that amount of money. But when I want a new flashlight for the same amount, I never doubt. Then it's rarely too expensive! I guess I am not alone in this situation...:sick2:

Last edited:

Chicago X

Enlightened
....Personally I have noticed that often when I really NEED something, for example a new pair of jeans or a new jacket, I doubt about getting them because I don't want to spend that amount of money. But when I want a new flashlight for the same amount, I never doubt. Then it's rarely too expensive! I guess I am not alone in this situation...:sick2:

It's called having PRIORITIES. :p

You are certainly not alone, friend........ :thumbsup:

Hellbore

Enlightened
It's called having PRIORITIES. :p

You are certainly not alone, friend........ :thumbsup:

I 2nd that...

Man, for me, when I need new clothes it's just the worst. I will put it off as long as I can, until the point where I don't have enough outfits to wear a clean one every day, then I finally go buy clothes. I just hate it, all I can think about is how the money I'm spending on clothes could have gone towards some flashlight :D

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is all about the buying of top quality gear that interests me. So many general use items these days are designed by accountants to be cheap to make and easy to sell.

There was an article in the local paper yesterday about an old guy who was given a pop-up toaster as a wedding present in 1947. He still has the same toaster and it looks and works like a new one!

Most products these days seem to be made to have an operating life of between 1 & 2 years (example: the last 3 toasters I have bought!!, VCR's, DVD players, amplifiers, washing machines, cordless phones etc) - no matter how much I spend, I still can't get gear that lasts.

With quality lighting products such as Surefire, Malkoff, etc you can really buy well and have a product that you know will last you a lifetime - that's the buzz I get with my involvement with CPF - it gives me access to products that the average Joe doesn't have access to and probably wouldn't buy anyway. I, unlike many others in the world, never buy on price!!

James.....:)

Last edited:

tabs

Newly Enlightened
I love flashlights. My family and friends are actually questioning me why I have multiple flashlights and why I keep on buying flashlights and they go on to tell me you only have two hands so two lights max is what you will ever need (jokingly of course).

Just looking at them and playing/using/cleaning them is enough to cheer me up. Flashlights are probably the only thing (collection) that I will be buying for the rest of my life. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.