Do you get a flu shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never get the flu shot, and never get the flu. In the past which I tried 3 different times 1 year, and 2 years apart I got the flu shot which every time I caught the flu really bad.
Many people have a fundamental misunderstanding of how flu shots work. I spoke to someone the other day who said "I had a flu shot and I immediately got the flu from it."

In reality a flu show does not produce immunity right away; from what I understand it can take 4-6 weeks after receiving the shot before your immunity has built up. That's because you don't get injected with antibodies; you get a weakened or killed version of the virus itself, causing your body to recognize it as an intruder and start building up antibodies for it. It's still possible to get the flu from normal sources in the first days or weeks after receiving a flu shot.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
I never used to get a flu shot, but I am currently employed at an academic medical center and interact with patients in a clinical setting. Vaccination is now a condition of employment. The only people exempted are those who have an anaphylactic, (Life threatening) reaction to the flu vaccine and they must wear a mask at all times while at work during flu season, (Six months). While it would be nice to have a choice, with the threat of a global influenza pandemic I believe the healthcare community in general views vaccination as just another common sense prevention, such as frequent hand washing, the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers and covering your mouth when you cough. As far as harmful effects are concerned, if peanuts can inflame your airway and kill you, then of course anything man made (In a lab) has that potential for someone out there. I guess the question is do the risks outweigh the benefits?

nbp

Flashaholic
I heard that a certain medical group around here also is stating that a flu vaccination is a "condition of employment" as you said quest4fire. I am not versed in such legal issues at all, but how is that even legal? I think that if my employer did something like that, I'd get the shot this year and then start looking for other employment. If they will force that on a person, what next? That's creepy to me. :duck:

MCFLYFYTER

Banned
I am not versed in such legal issues at all, but how is that even legal?

It is not legal. Immunizations are not required by law, but then again, neither is taxing our labor. Try telling that to the judge after they throw you in jail for not paying income tax. It's a bad place we are in right now.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I was given flu shots in elementary school.

Since then though, no never willingly gone for a jab.

Probably won't unless there's a pandemic or something really serious.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have flu shots. Everyone knows that's how the government distributes their mind control drugs! :sssh:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to get the flu shot last week at a free flu shot clinic but the line-up was 1 hour long.I'm one of those people who gets the flu every year unless I get the shot.BTW-even tho the shot only contains 3 different strains it still primes your immune system for the next few months and helps you fight off other infections.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
I think that if my employer did something like that, I'd get the shot this year and then start looking for other employment. If they will force that on a person, what next? That's creepy to me. :duck:

I hear ya, but the job market in this area is very competitive for my profession. Plus it does have its perks, such as being able to catch up on recent posts on CPF (Note that I am posting during work hours:grin2:) occasionally. What more could a guy ask of his employer? What's a little government control, I'm sure Big Brother has my best interests in mind, right? :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.