Do you plan on purchasing any Surefire lights soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you plan on purchasing any Surefire lights soon?

Sure, a T1AA.

HOpefully their 2xAA outdoorsman was popular enough to justify more AA lights.

robertrock

Newly Enlightened
Probably not, really over-priced and under-teched, but very well built.

I still want to get a Jetbeam, a Nitecore, and a Fenix TK21 for my collection.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I was not speaking as a host builder but as a parts supplier. I've spent many hours helping to trouble shoot switch problems that ended up being drop in installation problems resulting from the overzealous application of thermal paste.

Gotcha - and please don't take any of my comments as deragotatory against you or your products. I've purchased many items from you both before Oveready and from the site and always been very pleased.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not, really over-priced and under-teched, but very well built.

I still want to get a Jetbeam, a Nitecore, and a Fenix TK21 for my collection.

You'd be surprised, when you open up a SF LED light, the technology in there is pretty impressive. The T1A twisty and driver system is pretty darn ingenious and very complicated with multiple circuit board layers all connected and working together. You don't realize it until you play with the light enough, but it's actually got a ramped light reduction system. If you spin the knob and turn the brightness down fast enough you can watch the led ramp down in brightness and play catch-up with the switch position.

My biggest problem with their lights is they are mainly designed for tactical use, so long throw, tight spot, no corona, very dim spill - for my casual use of lights it just doesn't work for me. I do like throw, but with a spot and flood spill that allows me to see more than just the target.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I could never stand the T1A against the V10R titanium-the titanium is still cheaper, can run AA's, and puts out a lot more light. The SF is probably more efficient, but heck, there's something called rechargables.

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
No, mainly because I have a weak spot for the low-low. I wish they had more models that had 1 Lumen setting or less.

Secondly SF does make good flashlights but there are a lot of other options that are small and very bright. No names mentioned but I have found the some of the cheaper competitors very reliable. For me personally I dont have any really good reason for buying SF anymore, there lights are still interesting but there is a lot of competition.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Gotcha - and please don't take any of my comments as...

No worries. Looking again at my 1st post, I should know better than to use charged language.

Back on topic, these price changes are just a small part of a much larger plan. I'm still gathering details, but I don't think CPFers are going to like the results.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] Surefires RETAIN their value and actually can GO UP in value... How many people collect old Fenix L1Ps or old Nitecores? They continue to drop in value from the day you buy them...

I found the above post of interest because I've reconfigured my flashlight collection a few times by now and:
  • Almost every SureFire (or SF component) I have ever sold went for (slightly) more than what I paid
  • Most non-SureFires I have sold went for less than what I paid
If I were to sell off my entire flashlight collection, almost every SureFire I own would sell for more than my initial cost. That would not be the case with my other lights.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
No immediate plan to buy more but when I look at the lights that are in my stable, I notice that Surefire has the most spots in the stable.

If I did not have the ones that I already have and love (in multiples:) then I would definitely have some on my list... Ones like the U2A, L2X, E1B and the E1L.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I found the above post of interest because I've reconfigured my flashlight collection a few times by now and:
  • Almost every SureFire (or SF component) I have ever sold went for (slightly) more than what I paid
  • Most non-SureFires I have sold went for less than what I paid
If I were to sell off my entire flashlight collection, almost every SureFire I own would sell for more than my initial cost. That would not be the case with my other lights.

But does this mean you intend to buy more new Surefire flashlights (not just parts) at list price?

I've never paid list price for any Surefire flashlight or part I've purchased in the Marketplace. I've seen NIB HA C2's for sale recently for $65. I think you'd have to hold on to a new C2 you pay list for today for a very, very long time before it sells for more than you paid for it. I have several Surefire products. I like them and intend to keep them but the question was do I intend to buy more? Well if I do I can you tell you it will be at below Surefire suggested price. That said, although I have more flashlights than I need I don't consider myself a collector because I always want the newest and the brightest. I have no interest in oldies but goodies. Heck, I don't even like antique furniture.

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
Surefire makes reliable lights backed with great customer service. But they aren't a bleeding-edge manufacturer, nor do they claim to be. That's what most of us buy flashlights for, the newest and brightest technology currently on the market, so Surefire appears to be overpriced for the specs.

With that said I've still got a M3LT on my wanted list and it's supposedly a solid performer despite using last generation 4-die emitter (MC-E).

Kestrel

Flashaholic
While this thread started out rather innocuously;
Are you planning on purchasing, or will be purchasing a Surefire light anytime soon? If so, which are you getting? I have a Surefire 6P bored for 18650. I am thinking of getting another Surefire, maybe the same one again with a different engine. I am using a Malkoff M61W. Also, kinda wondering about the E1B Backup.

It has become the usual "SureFire = overpriced" crap thread. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - CPF has had a number of these threads recently and I guess it's too much to hope for a conversation more substantial than that on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.