Do you prefer 'Normal' Clicky or Reverse Clicky?

Do you prefer 'Normal Clicky' or Reverse Clicky?

• Normal Clicky

Votes: 367 89.3%
  • Reverse Clicky

Votes: 44 10.7%

• Total voters

Gator762

Enlightened
HarveyRich said:
As mentioned, unfortunately this is a flawed poll since it doesn't allow a choice for "either." Personally, I don't care; both are fine. I like the fact that the L2D-CE has a neat multi-level interface and does it via a reverse clickie.

Meh.

I don't care either. Poll is flawed.

The difference in activation time is negligible. I've never had a need for a millisecond of light using a forward click as a momentary. In the dark all that does is ruin your nightvision.

ETA - Thought about it in the bathroom. Judging on the merits for each, I guess I would actually prefer the reverse for EDC.

Forward clicky merit - momentary on. Silent activation for short bursts.
Reverse clicky merit - switch has to be fully depressed to activate.

In my pants pocket, the light won't go off for lord knows how many moments each day. I guess I must count my blessings that my night vision is good enough that I never perceived the need for a flashlight on my middle of the night bathroom trips. ;)

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
cratz2 said:
I prefer a normal clicky, but it's by no means a deal breaker.

It is for me. Using a reverse clicky is like driving a car with a joystick. Lol :laughing:

CostcoAAcells

Newly Enlightened
Whenever I get a great new flashlight, I introduce it to my friends and family like this: "This is my new flashlight!"

Whenever I get a great new flashlight with a reverse clicky, I introduce it to my friends and family like this:
"This is my new Chinese made flashlight."
It's almost like I have to apologize for its being backwards by explaining it's a Chinese made light.

Please flashlight manufacturers, I'm trying to appeal to your sense of pride. As long as you make great flashlights with reverse clickies, that flashlight will always be a second class flashlight to me--and I'll always have to keep apologizing for you.

xiaowenzu

Banned
CostcoAAcells said:
As long as you make great flashlights with reverse clickies, that flashlight will always be a second class flashlight to me--and I'll always have to keep apologizing for you.

Unfortunately we CPFer's have complained to Chinese makers for years regarding this 'negative' issue (no pun intended :laughing:) and till this day they ignore our cries :(

Calina

Enlightened
xiaowenzu said:
Unfortunately we CPFer's have complained to Chinese makers for years regarding this 'negative' issue (no pun intended :laughing:) and till this day they ignore our cries :(

Why should they care?
They keep on selling and you keep on buying!

Quit complaining; stop buying and the issue will get solved in no time.

xiaowenzu

Banned
Calina said:
Quit complaining; stop buying and the issue will get solved in no time.
Thankfully, I've never bought one. heheh :D IMHO, they stand to make more profit if they implement forward clickie, because there's so many people that are allergic to reverse implementation.:D

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a reverse clicky once and didn't like it at all. Its not instantaneouse like a normal clicky. Feels somewhat ackward IMHO

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
xiaowenzu said:
I must admit I've always been a fan of the 'normal clicky' mechanism since I purchased my first Maglite. It just feels so natural and intuitive to operate.

The 'normal clicky' with momentary capability - and the slide switch with a momentary button - are what I grew up with. They do seem easier, more intuitive, and more ergonomic to use. And of course, the 'normal clicky' has advantages for 'tactical' scenarios, such as encountered by LEOs and special forces.

I think the 'normal clicky' is much better for incans, where it can be important to do a lot of momentary use of the light to conserve its batteries.

However, since using 'reverse clickies' on various LED lights, I don't think the 'normal clicky' has a critical advantage over the 'reverse clicky' for general purpose LED lights.

The momentary function isn't as important on LED lights, at least for my uses. It's not necessary to constantly cycle the switch on and off to try to conserve the batteries with a LED light.

For LED lights, I still prefer the 'normal clicky,' but can live with the 'reverse clicky.' So long as it is well-implemented, a 'reverse clicky' on a LED light no longer bothers me.

Last edited:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I´m for the momantary (normal) clicky!

I have had a couple of reverse clicky lights and got rid of them just because of the reverse clicky! I never used them just because of this future!

I even sold my M1 because of this....I really hate the reverse clickys! I do have it on my current edc light, L1D, and must say its more likely to activate a momentary in my pocket rather than the reverse clicky. Not to constant on but for bursts of momentary light. When I want to use my EDC light I want momentary light! I really like the manually "blink" mode with a ordinary clicky. If you want to signalling someone its easier to just depress and realese the momentary button a few times rather than cycle through the diffrent modes. I cant have that on my EDC right now and its bothering me a bit, but the light is small and is very bright!
And I dont want the clicky with momentary then twist for constant, I want the new SF clicky, momentary press further for constant on.

Twistys are even worse! No momentary at all!

xiaowenzu

Banned
ringzero said:
For LED lights, I still prefer the 'normal clicky,' but can live with the 'reverse clicky.' So long as it is well-implemented, a 'reverse clicky' on a LED light no longer bothers me.

For me, if I use a 'reverse clicky' it feels like I've taken two steps back in technology. Progress should be forward NOT backward.
Using a reverse clicky after experiencing the pleasures of 'normal clickie' is equivalent to eating prawns after you've tasted yummy Lobsters. Why should lower my standards?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
I prefer a normal clicky, but it's by no means a deal breaker.
Within limits. <$30 or so for me, <$50 for something exceptional, but it must be VERY exceptional.
Calina said:
Why should they care?
They keep on selling and you keep on buying!
Right. That's why I do not buy any more Fenix lights as I already have until they switch (har har).

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
xiaowenzu said:
For me, if I use a 'reverse clicky' it feels like I've taken two steps back in technology. Progress should be forward NOT backward. Using a reverse clicky after experiencing the pleasures of 'normal clickie' is equivalent to eating prawns after you've tasted yummy Lobsters. Why should lower my standards?

Good point xiaowenzu.

If I could just wave a magic wand and instantly change all the 'reverse clicky' switches on my lights to 'normal clicky' switches, I would.

However, some of the most desirable lights available only come with 'reverse clicky' switches. I'm not willing to forgo otherwise excellent lights simply because they have 'reverse clicky' switches. I can adapt to 'reverse clicky' control of a LED light if necessary.

Gannz

Newly Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
Does anyone know of a source for forward-clickes that could be retrofitted into lights that use the reverse style? I'm approaching a point where I'd rather not buy many new flashlights, but instead want to improve the ones I already have (new reflectors, lenses, switches, LED upgrades etc), and upgradings switches to foward clicky in a few of my lights would be great.

+1

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calina said:
I like reverse clickies.

They allow us to have those cool U.I. which are not possible with forward clickies.

Really? I've got a U.I. with a regular clickie and haven't had any problems. What troubles have you seen?

-LT

xiaowenzu

Banned
I just don't understand why they can't make a forward clicky. They've lost a lot of customers because of this short sightedness. Look a Maglites, they are laughing all the way to the banks. :(

gramanam

Newly Enlightened
What about momentary lights with twist on (as in most Surefire incandesents)?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
gramanam said:
What about momentary lights with twist on (as in most Surefire incandesents)?

Those are better than reverse clickies for my uses... but so far only Lumapower has gotten a clue and hence some of my money. The only exception being Jetbeam MkIIx @ DX for cheap.

Hence no new Cree/SSC based asian clickie lights yet. My money their loss.
(I think I heard Liteflux may have made a forward clickie on the LF1, but I cannot confirm)