Do you text a lot?

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Holy cats how is that possible?!

That's 1000 per day if 30,000 in a month. Let's assume you sleep 7 hrs per night, so that's in 17 hours of wakefulness. At 15, you are in school, so let's knock off another 7 hrs per day, and you're left with 10 hrs of txt time. That's 100 per hour, or 1.67 txts per minute for every minute you were awake in a month.

It must all surely be a little more hectic than even that, nbp. Each text may prompt a reply. They all need to be read. More Holy cats from me!

I text about once maybe twice a day. About as often as I post here.

I think my record was almost 30 000 a month. I was 15 then, fortunately i have grown a bit...

...and got the bill?

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, my average is about one text every 2 or 3 years. I have a voice, and prefer to actually speak to other human beings when I use my phone to communicate.

Hear hear! If anyone texts me, don't expect a response, cause I may not see it for a month or so! You wanna talk to me, CALL or send me an email if you feel the need to type something!

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, those of you sending dozens of texts a day from work have no idea how annoying it is for other co-workers and how much it makes your dept look bad. Especially when you have a 'text-alert' sound that grates on everybody's nerves. I realize it's a way around the 'threatened' censored coporate E-mail, but managers need to grow some and crack down on this. Yes, I know it's 4:48 and your significant other has to send you a text asking when you'll be home just because he / she is insecure, but good grief.

Last year I had a contract at a health care provider, and HR has a strict policy on cell-phone usage / audible alerts, and other things like excessive cologne or perfume I wish other companies would enact. Easily the most pleasant place I've worked without the constant distractions.

I get a kick out of these 'experts' on news shows that say corporate America needs to 'get with it' and adjust their communication policies to accomodate the habits of the < 30 crowd, but thank goodness I'm not seeing this. No higher organism can function on complex tasks when distracted by a lithium powered concentration destroyer demanding attention 60 times a day. That is, unless you aren't doing something worthwhile anyways, or just want to express your admiration for the latest Justin Bieber video on YouTube :)

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
1-2 every three month I guess. We had an intern a while ago that texted nonstop. Nice and cute girl, but that habit...... anoying like hell. I just can´t stand people that have to get an operation to be separated from their cell.

Eric

Wrend

Enlightened
Do you text a lot?

Only if you count internet forums and e-mails as "texting."

I've probably only ever sent a couple phone text messages. I have them blocked on my phone because I get way more junk text messages than anything else, and that's from people I know.

I'm also not on Facebook, Twitter, or any of the other typical social networking networks like that.

It's not that I'm too old and unadjusted to the technology, or anything like that. I just generally find it too invasive and annoying. I don't care what people are doing 24/7, and I don't feel like advertising what I'm doing nor looking for emotional support all the time either.

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
It's a great way to communicate quick information to and from my wife regarding our activities.
This is not because we don't know how to speak, merely that not everything deserves a phone call.
Got a few friends who communicate via text instead of email, free texting iPhone to iPhone, no problems.
Depending on how a person's email settings are configured a message may not arrive in a timely manner, text is quick and you know you've made your best effort short of calling.
If it's important enough, I'll call.

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Don't see anything wrong with a "reasonable" amount texting. It can make life run a little smoother. "What time will you be home?" - reply "about 6.30". Job done! All good that sort of thing, isn't it?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
...and got the bill?
:laughing:
I could send unlimited messages for free, so i the bill was never high at all :D

But let's assume that i had to pay for every text.

1 text: about 15 cent.
0,15 x 30,000 = 4 500 $. My dad would love me if i got that bill! And that's just for the texts! :poof:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't text anything near what some of you do. I do, however, txt a great deal more than I talk. I absolutely hate to talk on the phone.

I agree, I hate to talk on the phone so my phones end up being used very little since I hate texting even more. My mother even said recently that it sounds like I am anxious to hang up after I say hello. Thats pretty much the truth, say what has to be said and its done.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Has anyone had a close call, or an actual accident while texting/talking when you were walking or driving?

~ Chance

No. Then again, even if I did do a great deal of texting, I'd never do it while behind the wheel of a car. That is simply beyond retarded.

Speaking of work, if your check was short $5 would you inform the bookkeeper? I think most people would. What would you think if your supervisor said it was a new company policy to deduct $5 from all employees who text while on the clock?

~ Chance

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most people would. What would you think if your supervisor said it was a new company policy to deduct $5 from all employees who text while on the clock?

~ Chance

Nothing, it'll still continues. Look at our texting/talking on the phone while driving law. I see at least 10 per day either talking or texting while driving. The ticket is way more than the $5 deduction. Did it stop them? Nope.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 3 years ago i was texting 20 000-25 000 messages a month. No kidding. I think my record was almost 30 000 a month. And that was NOT spam texts.
I was 15 then, fortunately i have grown a bit...

Holy cats how is that possible?!

That's 1000 per day if 30,000 in a month. Let's assume you sleep 7 hrs per night, so that's in 17 hours of wakefulness. At 15, you are in school, so let's knock off another 7 hrs per day, and you're left with 10 hrs of txt time. That's 100 per hour, or 1.67 txts per minute for every minute you were awake in a month.

Another interesting calculation would be this: Let´s just think of an everage time of 15 seconds for a single text. Including getting the phone, typing, sending, putting it away..... 25.000 x 15 sec = 375.000 sec /60 = 6.250 minutes /60 = 104.17 hours of texting. That´s almost 3.5 hours of texting every single day for a whole month. Not much of a life beyond sleep, school, CPF, and texting..... ;) EDIT: OK, I just saw Mathias wasn´t a CPF Member back then. A few minutes more for the rest of the life... ;)

Eric

Last edited:

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Another interesting calculation would be this: Let´s just think of an everage time of 15 seconds for a single text. Including getting the phone, typing, sending, putting it away..... 25.000 x 15 sec = 375.000 sec /60 = 6.250 minutes /60 = 104.17 hours of texting. That´s almost 3.5 hours of texting every single day for a whole month. Not much of a life beyond sleep, school, CPF, and texting..... ;)

Eric
Well, since CPF is in there, what's the problem? :D