Does this sound like a bad car starter?

Starlight

Enlightened
The starter motor uses more current than most of your car's wiring or switches will handle. To alleviate this problem, the solenoid (an electromagenetic coil) is energized by voltage from the ignition switch. The solenoid then moves a large piece of copper across two terminals which route current directly from the battery to the starter motor.

The fast clicking noise is caused when the solenoid is energized, current flows from the battery to the starter, and then battery voltage drops so low the solenoid loses power. There is a spring in the solenoid which moves the copper bar away from the terminals when the solenoid loses power. As the drain on the battery drops, the solenoid gets power again, and the cycle repeats rapidly, causing the clicking noise.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think cable connections or starter relay (solenoid) is the culprit. Keep in mind one of the battery cables goes to the starter relay. It could have a loose connection there. Also the contacts inside the starter relay could be in need of replacement. If the starter eventually cranks the engine at full speed, it probably isn't the starter itself.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully it does turn out to be a cable connection; definitely would be a simpler and cheaper fix- when you hear a click, I assume it means a single click, and not a click-click-click sequence as you hold the key. In that case (click-click-click) it's just a voltage/current supply issue, which should be relatively simple to deal with.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:
Generally, you are correct but I had this happen to me. The poor connection was at the solinoid. The noise I heard was a spark that occured under the cable lug where it to the solinoid. It was a snap sound and happened intermittenly.

[/ QUOTE ]
When you heard the arcing sound, did it crank at all? Usually I've found that once it doesn't start from a poor connection, it doesn't restore itself without some mechanical assistance, from at least a jiggle of the cables or something. If the symptoms are that it restarts without any other effort than cycling the ignition key, the solenoid contacts are a good possibility.
Starlight's description of the solenoid is pretty good- a multiple clicking is from the voltage dropping below the hold-in point of the solenoid, and then once the load of the starter is released, the voltage rises enough to pull in the starter solenoid again, starting the whole cycle over.