Identify the Individual Sound

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the crickets or the footsteps. Illumination is the venerable Emisar K1 with the 5700K dedomed 519A. 11 seconds. Everyone is ok as far as I can tell. (Wife and son are visiting family)

The original video was 59 seconds long. CPF is not ok with hosting a clip that long so I broke it up when the sounds were most obvious. Next video is 5 seconds then last one is 12 seconds.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Did you stop at all when you heard the sound? Can't make it out over you footsteps.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I had to crank the volume up to hear it, but sounds like someone is moving a very large chair without lifting it. Either that, or wild animals. Or an animal from the Cretaceous period just wandering around as SYZYGZ pointed it out.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Did you hear it while walking? Or afterwards when you played the video? The dog didn't even react to the sound and not stopping when you heard something like that doesn't make sense.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Not the crickets or the footsteps. Illumination is the venerable Emisar K1 with the 5700K dedomed 519A. 11 seconds. Everyone is ok as far as I can tell. (Wife and son are visiting family)
View attachment 45669

The original video was 59 seconds long. CPF is not ok with hosting a clip that long so I broke it up when the sounds were most obvious. Next video is 5 seconds then last one is 12 seconds.
It's the "EEEE-AHHH-whoosh" sound that happens between 6-8 seconds in? I'm guessing it's either Elk calls or you live near a stamping plant.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dogs have heard it before. They have been trained to keep cool about stuff (as long as they do not perceive it to be a physical threat) and I try to set a good example.

Some neighbors claim we have elk.

I have heard elk sound off at me in summer maybe 40 years ago in the Jemez mountains. It was a remote area and thinking I was in their territory late at night. It would circle the meadow where I was camped. The sound of branches and ground disruptions added to the scariness. It sounded angry. Very, very little sleep that night.

HoodlumCircus

Newly Enlightened
The dogs have heard it before. They have been trained to keep cool about stuff (as long as they do not perceive it to be a physical threat) and I try to set a good example.

Some neighbors claim we have elk.

I have heard elk sound off at me in summer maybe 40 years ago in the Jemez mountains. It was a remote area and thinking I was in their territory late at night. It would circle the meadow where I was camped. The sound of branches and ground disruptions added to the scariness. It sounded angry. Very, very little sleep that night.
Sounds like elk to me.