Does your Surefire L2 makes a high pitched buzz when turned on "low"?

faco

Enlightened
Yes it does, not that bad though. I knew this before I bought the light and it doesn't bother me at all

soffiler

Enlightened
dmz said:
Does your Surefire L2 makes a high pitched buzz when turned on "low"?...

Yes, mine does too. What I found odd is that the buzz seems to emante from the tailcap, whereas the electronics are at the opposite end...

Best regards,
Steve Offiler
VP of Engineering
Central Tools, Inc.
www.centraled.net

Red

Newly Enlightened
Every L2 I have seen has had a high pitched buzz or hum on low beam.
But some are much louder than others.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, mine does it. A few other flashlights do it too, SureFire and other brands.

Scott

CLHC

Flashaholic
That's "normal" when on low, and lets you know it's working. No irritation here when it "hums."

dmz

Enlightened
A high pitched buzz is not very tactical for a tactical flashlight. I did not expect noise from a $165 flashlight.

InfidelCastro

Banned
What causes the buzz? I've heard about this for a long, long time with the L2. Has anybody ever gotten to the bottom of it?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I feel deprived. I have no buzz. I even put it next to a sensitive stereo microphone to amplify and look at any frequency wave pattern.....nada. No sounds at all either with 123a's or AW's rechargeable.

InfidelCastro said:
What causes the buzz? I've heard about this for a long, long time with the L2. Has anybody ever gotten to the bottom of it?

A switching regulator running in audible range of frequency.

jonman007

Newly Enlightened
soffiler said:
Yes, mine does too. What I found odd is that the buzz seems to emante from the tailcap, whereas the electronics are at the opposite end...

The electronics in the L2 are in the tailcap whereas the L4 has the electronics in the head. My L2 buzzes too...

meat

Newly Enlightened
A high pitched buzz is not very tactical for a tactical flashlight. I did not expect noise from a $165 flashlight.

If someone is close enough to hear the high pitched whine, chances are, they can most likely see the beam. You almost have to hold the flashlight next to your ear to hear it or be in a silent chamber.

edit: I just listened to mine and I can not hear it when the flashlight is at arms length. I really don't see how the buzzing is an issue.

Last edited: