Drunk drivers kill nearly 50 people per day in the usa

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many bars that are accessible only by car. I guess there is a reason the cops don't wait outside and arrrest everyone who comes out and gets in their car at 2 or 3 AM...maybe they hope they all drive off a cliff on the way home..

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
TedTheLed said:
There are so many bars that are accessible only by car. I guess there is a reason the cops don't wait outside and arrrest everyone who comes out and gets in their car at 2 or 3 AM...maybe they hope they all drive off a cliff on the way home..

~45 years ago, the police chief in our town (we were friends with him and his family) did park a car outside of one of the major eating/drinking establishments... Created lots of problems with the city council (at least one person) and later the mayor... Guess who owned said establishment (and got on city council and later became mayor).

-Bill

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmaylodm said:
How many people die due to regular drivers in the US? I believe it is important to compare the drunk driver figures to the sober driver figures to make any judgement on how crazy 50 deaths a day really is.

Banning alcohol? Won't work. Remember the failure known as Prohibition and the current failure of the War on Drugs?

Alcohol-related traffic fatalities have dropped from 60% of all traffic deaths in 1982 down to 41% in 2002 (the most recent year for which such statistics are available).
From here.

This goes along with the nation starting to take *drinking* and driving more seriously.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
here in england, first time offenders get a 1 year ban+ fine, second time 3 year ban+fine, 3rd offence gets you a jail term and a 10 year ban

That sounds jolly good to me, old chap. I would love to seem them impliment something like that here. We have a huge problem down here with local judges not punishing people for DUI convictions. I chased a drunk one night that almost wasted my truck, caught up with him after he rearended somebody, followed him around the parking lot so that we could see where he ditched his bag of dope, he threw up and he was so drunk that he passed out in the back of the State Trooper's unit. I took time off work to go testify against him, and the judge gave him a suspended sentence and a fine. I was beyond disgusted with it all.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multiple DUI offenders aren't adequately handled and we offer driving privileges to those who are extraordinarily low skilled at the task. Bad US drivers terrorize the innocent by killing about 40,000 fellow citizens every year. Driving is not treated with anything near the respect it deserves.

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
Mike Painter said:

[slight threadjack]

Thats funny you took something from the SUNY Potsdam website, I am graduating from Clarkson University in a few weeks which is in the same town.

[end threadjack]

Latest posts