Eagletac P20C2 & MKII owners, your insight on General

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
I'd like some insight on what the owners of this light think of the General mode aka Medium. Being that the light can only start up in max and medium do you find medium to be low enough to not blind you upon dark condition start ups and conditions you'd want a low low setting right away?

Do you wish it was setup with Turbo/Low rather than Turbo/General?

On My 2xCR123 Quark R5 the Medium mode (rated at 22 lumens but I think its a little more) is my favorite setting for just general use. I'm seeing the MKII P20C2 is rated at an actual output of around 85-91 lumens which is a bunch more.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
My P20C2 MkII comes on in medium mode because that mode is so bright and clear that I use it for most stuff - and almost all my use is outdoors.

I'm probably the wrong bloke to advise you because I detest torches that come on in low, so no I don't wish it was programmed for turbo and low. I absolutely love the fact that the low mode is available if needed but tucked away so that only a special (but fast) action brings it into play. I think it's the best UI arrangement of any torch I've ever owned.

That said, I have had one, just one, occasion when I did want the torch to turn on in the low mode so what I did was turn it on while holding the entire head in my hand to mask the light then made the twist-untwist motion so the first I saw of the light was the low mode when I removed my hand.

Sector7

Enlightened
I treat this light as a general use light, as for night time use in low light situation, I defer to my D10 or NDI but if I have to use it, the MK II does have a moonlight mode so I switch to it from starting med mode.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the general mode to be just about about perfect for outside and when I want low inside the house on start up I just point the light down at my feet and twist/untwist to low. The spill is not very wide and I think that helps if i don't want to hurt the eyes before I twist into low mode. If it had a wider spill it might be a little more of an issue.

wingnut86

Banned
It Doesn't bother me which level it turns on in.

I do however have a method to get low to come on with only one twist, and that is to twist it at the point when I am momentarily pressing the button, as in; push...twist...click, but with the push twist happening pretty quick. It works best starting in mid, then twisting to high so the split second flash is only medium and not 300 lumens of goodness. If you mess around with it, it works pretty smoothly. I can get to low really quick like.

I like the turbo/general setup. I don't think it would matter to me which mode is hidden though, since the hidden mode is so easy to get to, yet can be completely out of the way if you don't want to be bothered by it.

Dude, just get the light, you won't be disappointed...Unless your looking for a nice clip, I think it kind of sucks, mine already spins freely. It's now on my G2 and it fits nicely! :twothumbs

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Unless your looking for a nice clip, I think it kind of sucks, mine already spins freely. It's now on my G2 and it fits nicely! :twothumbs

This is what I do for the lanyard ring and it should work for the clip. I take off the tailcap and then remove the o-ring and before I put the lanyard ring on I take one of the spare o-ring and put it all the way down where the lanyard ring or clip normally sits. I then put the lanyard ring on and then the regular o-ring and tighten down the tailcap tight. It works well in keeping the ring from spinning and actually makes it fit very tight. The same thing should work for the clip if you want to try it.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
...Unless your looking for a nice clip, I think it kind of sucks, mine already spins freely.
There's a little hole on the body in which a nipple on the back of clip is supposed to fit so it can't spin.

That said, I thought the top of the original clip stuck out too far out from the body so I modified the torch to take a 4sevens Quark clip in the o-ring slot and put a thinner o-ring in the little recess at the end of the body threads for the tailcap to go over. That made for a much more low profile clip and it's held captive by the tailcap so there's no way it can spin or come off. Bit of work to do though.

wingnut86

Banned
This is what I do for the lanyard ring and it should work for the clip. I take off the tailcap and then remove the o-ring and before I put the lanyard ring on I take one of the spare o-ring and put it all the way down where the lanyard ring or clip normally sits. I then put the lanyard ring on and then the regular o-ring and tighten down the tailcap tight. It works well in keeping the ring from spinning and actually makes it fit very tight. The same thing should work for the clip if you want to try it.

I just use a spare o-ring from my TK20 to fill the channel left by the clip, and if I need the lanyard ring on there it fits like you said. Besides, the P20 fits nicely in my pocket without a clip.

There's a little hole on the body in which a nipple on the back of clip is supposed to fit so it can't spin.
The notch on the clip stripped that hole so it now just slides out with the slightest touch. I was thinking about using a punch and creating another indent 180 degrees from the current one. I then decided that my G2 needed a clip instead, so I covered it almost entirely in shrink wrap that almost identically matches the Nitrolon. To make the notch in the plastic, I just took the fine point on my soldering iron and melted a tiny indent. It works well.

Storogoth

Newly Enlightened
I think that this is one of the best bang for the buck lights out there. EagleTac listened to what needed to change and modified the MKII series to create an almost perfect light for a reasonable price. Medium mode is still a bright light, will last me 8-10 hours, is the perfect place for it to start up. I'm super happy with the low mode for close up and general around the camp use. I am truly amazed at the high mode. I can illuminate something a block or 2 away. I have disabled the strobe functions but it is nice to know that I can re-enable them if needed. This is a light that I am completely happy about and would recommend purchasing to anyone. PTS is the place to get it and Mike is the MAN !! Just sayin'

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I have disabled the strobe functions but it is nice to know that I can re-enable them if needed.
It might pay to make it clear at this point that the strobe function doesn't actually get disabled. All one is doing with the "disabling process" is removing it from the tailcap switch sequence.

You don't need to do the fifteen click thing again if you want to access the strobe. Even when "disabled" the strobe is always immediately available at any time just by doing the quick head twist-untwist process. It is the next mode after "low" and just before "beacon". A truly versatile UI.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It Doesn't bother me which level it turns on in.

I do however have a method to get low to come on with only one twist, and that is to twist it at the point when I am momentarily pressing the button, as in; push...twist...click, but with the push twist happening pretty quick. It works best starting in mid, then twisting to high so the split second flash is only medium and not 300 lumens of goodness. If you mess around with it, it works pretty smoothly. I can get to low really quick like.

I like the turbo/general setup. I don't think it would matter to me which mode is hidden though, since the hidden mode is so easy to get to, yet can be completely out of the way if you don't want to be bothered by it.

Dude, just get the light, you won't be disappointed...Unless your looking for a nice clip, I think it kind of sucks, mine already spins freely. It's now on my G2 and it fits nicely! :twothumbs

I love my new P20C2. I've had a T20C2 (R2 version) since they first came out and I love that too. Too bad the new drop ins don't fit my old model. I'm amazed at how small the P20 is. Perfect for ez EDC.

That said, it would be nice if possible to program the loose mode. I like it as is for the car but for the nightstand it's nice to start up in low. Of course in my pocket where it will remain for some time medium is just fine. Turbo is ideal to frighten the Easter Bunny.

The beam is where it's at though. What a nice beam. And thank goodness it isn't green.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think that this is one of the best bang for the buck lights out there. EagleTac listened to what needed to change and modified the MKII series to create an almost perfect light for a reasonable price. Medium mode is still a bright light, will last me 8-10 hours, is the perfect place for it to start up. I'm super happy with the low mode for close up and general around the camp use. I am truly amazed at the high mode. I can illuminate something a block or 2 away. I have disabled the strobe functions but it is nice to know that I can re-enable them if needed. This is a light that I am completely happy about and would recommend purchasing to anyone. PTS is the place to get it and Mike is the MAN !! Just sayin'

+1

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
I prefer Turbo/General and I love my P20C2 MK II!! :D Mine uses an LOP reflector and the beam is perfect for me. This compact 2x 123 pocket rocket is great to EDC with and I've used it for many situations. It is mostly used in general mode and its brightness is just right for outdoor, vehicle inspection, hiking, walking, bbq, emergencies. The rubber tailstand addon was an accessory I was looking for in many forward clickly lights that don't have tailstand capabilities. This one is great!

somename

Newly Enlightened

Could you post a picture of how that looks on your light? I'm trying to find other lanyard attachment points for the T20C2 MKII besides the clip.
A picture would help me to see better how you accomplished this and how it looks on the light.

For the Eagletac UI, which I think is the same on the T20C2 MKII, I think it is great. Once you do get to low if you need more light quickly simply click the light off and then back on and your in Medium assuming you left the head loose. Then just a quick twist if you need more light for high. I am really pleased with the operation and just cover the light with my hand when activating Low so I don't wake my wife when walking through the house at night.

I do however wish the low was < 5 lumens since even low seems sometimes almost too bright to keep my night vision in the house.
But then again if I was in the woods I'd be saying the 5 lumens is perfect because I'd want to know where I was going to step, where as in my house my only concern is running into a table or tripping on a shoe.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I prefer Turbo/General and I love my P20C2 MK II!! :D Mine uses an LOP reflector and the beam is perfect for me. This compact 2x 123 pocket rocket is great to EDC with and I've used it for many situations. It is mostly used in general mode and its brightness is just right for outdoor, vehicle inspection, hiking, walking, bbq, emergencies. The rubber tailstand addon was an accessory I was looking for in many forward clickly lights that don't have tailstand capabilities. This one is great!

I'd like one in Titanium please.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this medium at start up also apply to the T20C2 MKII?? I was thinking of getting the T model because it can use 18650's.

Oh man... the T could take 18650, but the P won't. That's an unfortunate and significant downgrade to the light in my view. 17670 is what I would use in the P, but sure would prefer 18650. Is the body tube interchangeable between the T and the P, in other words, could one use a T body on a P light to enable use of an 18650? Or could the P head be used on a T body to gain 18650 capability?

recDNA

Flashaholic
The more I use this tiny light the more impressed I am. It's one of the brightest lights I own yet I can stick it in the watch pocket of my jeans.

I'm glad I took off the clip. Made it uncomfortable to hold. I won't put on the lanyard because I hate those lanyard rings that stick out. Almost as bad as the clip.

I'm also glad I replaced the black boot with the GITD boot. Makes the black light easier to find in the dark.

I'd say this light is a bargain. I wanted a light that would run on primaries so that isn't an issue for me.