Eagletac P20C2 & MKII owners, your insight on General

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I'm glad I took off the clip. Made it uncomfortable to hold.
I thought the clip stuck out too far too. I fitted a quark clip instead which gave a much lower profile and it's now quite comfortable to hold the torch around the clip. I had to mill away a slot in one of the rings on the body and fit the clip too the original O ring recess (a new o-ring went on under the threads) but it was worthwhile I reckon.

The more I use the P20C2 the better I like it too. My only issue now is whether to carry my MkII version or the longer throwing older version that I bought just afterwards. Pretty nice dilemna to have........

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
personally I don't view it as small. I can top pocket it but I wear overalls and have large top pockets but it's at the limit of what will fit. It's head is half way in diameter between a regular quark and a Quark Turbo and the whole unit's not quite a quarter of an inch longer than a Quark Turbo 123-2 or five eighths of an inch loger than a Tactical Quark 123-2

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave... I just found a review with photos near a Quark 123*2, which I resized on my computer to be life size so I could see on my screen the actual size. It's a bit shorter than my Quark 18650 and a bit longer than my Q 123*2. Not exactly small. But not a monster either. Got my interest piqued. I think I'll look into what options it is available in as of today.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Dave... I just found a review with photos near a Quark 123*2, which I resized on my computer to be life size so I could see on my screen the actual size..
I did exactly the same thing before I bought it. I was holding my quark up to the screen until I got a zoom level that matched its size exactly then I looked to see what size that Eagle really was.

I'm even thinking of filing its little stainless teeth down flat so that it's just that tad bit shorter too.

Grayblue

Newly Enlightened
P20C2 is a great "could have been" for me.

Eagle Tac got almost everything right, and ruined the whole thing because they did not have the fundemental understanding of "tactical" flash light use.

I know it's not a "tactical" light, but the reason I have two justification for mentionint this:

1. They included the strobe mode which they, not me, called "tactical strobe" which actually made the flashlight a failure for anything tactical.

2. Even if this is a personal light, there are people who also needs a light for personal security use in a compact package. And, for those peple, the error EagleTac made made the product useless.

The reason why I say it's a failure is that for security use, the light must give the user uninterrupted use of momentary mode in turbo or general mode out put. That is an essential requirement.

But, if the user needed a two short burst of momentary mode, the light would go to "tactical strobe" mode when the user does not want it to. Double pressing momentary mode happens pretty frequently for various reasons, and the bottom line is that the P20C2 would not stay in a very essential mode when the user's life may depend on it. That's why the tail cap buttom interface that activates the "emergency tactical strobe" alone ruined the whole thing.

They should have had a better understanding of what a "tactical" light is before they attempted to sqeeze in a "tactical" feature just to ruin it.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

...... Even if this is a personal light, there are people who also needs a light for personal security use in a compact package. And, for those peple, the error EagleTac made made the product useless.

The reason why I say it's a failure is that for security use, the light must give the user uninterrupted use of momentary mode in turbo or general mode out put. That is an essential requirement.
Ah well, see sometime after you declared their torch an abject failure, the entire staff at Eagletac gave out a collective look of shocked indignation and decided they'd better make the "MKII" which comes to us with a very nice feature whereby one can remove of the strobe mode from the tailcap switch sequence thus making "momentary" truly momentary.

I have both the original and the MKII and I do find accidental strobe access on the original version to be a bit annoying at times (though not enough to earn the torch my dreaded blood red "F" mark) and the new MkII has fixed that issue so neatly that despite the early model's greater throw I do find that improvement is one of the reasons why I tend to want to carry my MkII more often.

I do like momentary a lot (especially when seeking snakes in nooks and crannies in daytime) but I'm not worried about using it for any sort of personal security use, I'd feel secure even with a candle.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I thought the clip stuck out too far too. I fitted a quark clip instead which gave a much lower profile and it's now quite comfortable to hold the torch around the clip. I had to mill away a slot in one of the rings on the body and fit the clip too the original O ring recess (a new o-ring went on under the threads) but it was worthwhile I reckon.

The more I use the P20C2 the better I like it too. My only issue now is whether to carry my MkII version or the longer throwing older version that I bought just afterwards. Pretty nice dilemna to have........
I have the old t20 for throw.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Gg

Eagle Tac got almost everything right, and ruined the whole thing because they did not have the fundemental understanding of "tactical" flash light use.

I know it's not a "tactical" light, but the reason I have two justification for mentionint this:

1. They included the strobe mode which they, not me, called "tactical strobe" which actually made the flashlight a failure for anything tactical.

2. Even if this is a personal light, there are people who also needs a light for personal security use in a compact package. And, for those peple, the error EagleTac made made the product useless.

But, if the user needed a two short burst of momentary mode, the light would go to "tactical strobe" mode when the user does not want it to. Double pressing momentary mode happens pretty frequently for various reasons, and the bottom line is that the P20C2 would not stay in a very essential mode when the user's life may depend on it. That's why the tail cap buttom interface that activates the "emergency tactical strobe" alone ruined the whole thing.

They should have had a better understanding of what a "tactical" light is before they attempted to sqeeze in a "tactical" feature just to ruin it.

In a tiny light like this whatever they call the strobe its value is as an emergency beacon period. You break down on the highway? Set. Strobe mode and put the p20 behind your car and u can be seen.
I can't even imagine using strobe in a fight. My 4 cell mag is much better. No strobe but you can beat someones brains in with it.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Giving more insights abt the General mode, IMO I still find the brightness to be quite right and I'm treating it more like a one-mode light. Just click to on, easy. It's also because I'm often in a situation where I need more light than just using it in the house alone. And am confident to lend the light to my bro or dad, I know it'll give them enough light they need and not to worry abt heat issues especially. However, I do have other lights that start on low for the "night adapted eyes". You can't just be satisfied with one. :D

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small tip for anyone who has yet to try it, if your in general mode and do not have the head loosened to much you can toggle output modes by pulling the head towards the body instead of twisting. I find it easy when using the underhand grip and using my thumb and index finder to pull the head rearward. You have to have the head just barely short of being in high mode but it does work to get to low/strobe quicker.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Giving more insights abt the General mode, IMO I still find the brightness to be quite right and I'm treating it more like a one-mode light.
It's certainly the most used mode for me and one of the reasons for that seems to be the composition of the beam. It's so smooth and evenly spread that it doesn't have the massive contrast between the very bright spot and dimmer spill that say my original model has so despite the MkII actually being rather bright on medium it's still quite comfortable to use.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Small tip for anyone who has yet to try it, if your in general mode and do not have the head loosened to much you can toggle output modes by pulling the head towards the body instead of twisting. I find it easy when using the underhand grip and using my thumb and index finder to pull the head rearward. You have to have the head just barely short of being in high mode but it does work to get to low/strobe quicker.
My mkII model will only do that if it's turned less than five to ten degrees from tight. Any more and it's just not possible to get it to do it. My original model will do it at anything up to about 45 degrees.

Interestingly, they have completely different thread arrangements in the heads between the two models. MkII has big fat square threads, old model has fine vee shaped threads.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Small tip for anyone who has yet to try it, if your in general mode and do not have the head loosened to much you can toggle output modes by pulling the head towards the body instead of twisting.
Haha, it worked. Kinda fun to play with lol

somename

Newly Enlightened
Does this medium at start up also apply to the T20C2 MKII?? I was thinking of getting the T model because it can use 18650's.

For the T20C2 MKII at start up, if the head is loose it is in Medium and if the head is tight it is in High. To get to low you tighten-loosen once and your in low. Turn the light off and when you next turn it back on you are back in either Medium (head loose) or High (head tight).

Those are my main uses so I never see strobe, beacon, or SOS. But it is nice to know I have those modes if I need to get too them.

To activate strobe so it turns on every other momentary press you must click the light on and off 15 times within 10 seconds. Using the momentary on/off rapidly will NOT activate the strobe so it cannot be activated by accident.

gettheshot

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the P20C2 a couple days ago, and I'm really liking it. I immediately turned off the tactical strobe from the tailcap, triggered too easily. I'm trying to replace the tailcap boot with the included GITD version, but I'm having some trouble getting it back in. Anyone have any tips? Thanks.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I picked up the P20C2 a couple days ago, and I'm really liking it. I immediately turned off the tactical strobe from the tailcap, triggered too easily. I'm trying to replace the tailcap boot with the included GITD version, but I'm having some trouble getting it back in. Anyone have any tips? Thanks.

I had the same problem. That silver colored retaining ring is really hard to screw back in without stripping the threads. I'm sorry to say I just kept trying and trying until I got it. Took me about 30 minutes just to get that silver thing screwed back in.

When everything is out of the cap lube a little and wipe with a cloth to get metal bits out of threads. They're bad enough without the little bits of metal clogging them up.

I suppose the only "trick' I learned was to drop the retaining ring in and let it settle itself. If it looked crooked I dumped it back in my hand and did it again. When I finally got it straight on the threads I held it in place with tweezers in the holes and turned the cap itself (not the ring) while holding the silver retainer in place with the tweezers. The cap was kept flat on the table while I turned it REALLY slowly to make sure the ring was going in straight and not crooked in the threads.

I won't take it off again! It was worth it though. I like the GITD boot. It doesn't really glow as much as some I have but the white color stands out in any dim light.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Don't forget the new MkII model has left hand threads for the switch retaining ring whereas the original P20C2 model's one has right hand threads. Don't mix em up.......

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the new MkII model has left hand threads for the switch retaining ring whereas the original P20C2 model's one has right hand threads. Don't mix em up.......

+1

I had trouble getting it out until I was told it was reverse thread then it came out easy and went back smooth on both my P20 MKII's.