Eastward YJ U2-style Cree reviewed

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
The elly is being driven off a 14500 with a 1 ohm resistor inbetween. On a new cell it runs around 600mA. Nice cheap super bright light! 100 Lumens plus for aroun $20 delivered.

lexina

Enlightened
2 thumbs up! great reviews and very helpful photos. the compare feature is a great idea!

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured 1200mA at the battery however I dought the led is seeing the full 1200mA. It's a ripper of a torch and its super birght, but it just doesnt seem that bright. It's still the brightest light I own second to my modded elly!
The converter is not a current regulator, it's a simple voltage step-up. If you throw in a higher-voltage battery, it simply wastes more of the power (I've tested this out by trying two, then three NiMH batteries), and gets extremely hot, without lighting up the LED much brighter. If you're going to run LiIon, then a direct drive setup is not bad -- the battery is already a close match to the voltage of the LEDs, so not a lot needs to be wasted in resistors to keep it under control -- also the discharge curve is fairyl level, so light output should be fairly consistent.

Last edited:

moon lander

Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
The converter is not a current regulator, it's a simple voltage step-up. If you throw in a higher-voltage battery, it simply wastes more of the power (I've tested this out by trying two, then three NiMH batteries), and gets extremely hot, without lighting up the LED much brighter. If you're going to run LiIon, then a direct drive setup is not bad -- the battery is already a close match to the voltage of the LEDs, so not a lot needs to be wasted in resistors to keep it under control -- also the discharge curve is fairyl level, so light output should be fairly consistent.

Trinity, are you reffering to the modded elly or the U2 Style?

Norm

Retired Administrator
From http://www.lightreviews.info/
2002836255456969899_rs.jpg
Something to take note of, the emitter module does not have any thermal paste applied between it and the star PCB. As can be seen from this image, the under side of the star is spotlessly clean. There's some hard rubbery substance in the middle cavity of the module, this doesn't make contact with the star either. I would recommend that you apply some thermal compound here before using the light for extended periods of time.
Just thought it was worth quoting this from your web site X2X3X2 mine was exactly the same. Just received it this morning no time for testing yet (1:30PM) looks and feels good. Just checked the current draw, mine is only 860mA :thumbsdow
Norm

moon lander

Enlightened
Norm said:
From http://www.lightreviews.info/

Just thought it was worth quoting this from your web site X2X3X2 mine was exactly the same. Just received it this morning no time for testing yet (1:30PM) looks and feels good. Just checked the current draw, mine is only 860mA :thumbsdow
Norm​

well thats a bummer but hey isnt 860ma like 110ma more than almost any other light? I just ordered mine 5 minutes ago (just before you posted this), do you think its still worth it?​

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trinity, are you reffering to the modded elly or the U2 Style?
Modded Elly. In the case of the U2, I don't know much about it, except that it's a stepdown converter of some sort, most likely current regulated. Though in the case of running and 18650, I think it's buck (stepdown) only, so once the battery voltage drops below 3.6, it will most likely direct drive from thereafter (gradually decreasing brightness, but longer overall runtime). This effectively gives you the choice of shorter runtime but higher, more consistent brightness with two CR123s, or somewhat lower brightness, that starts regulated, then gradually goes down, with much longer runtime.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
moon lander said:
well thats a bummer but hey isnt 860ma like 110ma more than almost any other light? I just ordered mine 5 minutes ago (just before you posted this), do you think its still worth it?
I'm happy with the light and I'm sure you will be too
Norm

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed a lot of different amp draws at the battery from this light. I got 1.7A with a fresh battery, and just before the protection kicked in after 90min it was 1.5A. In the reviews section thread, "Randy555" got 1.6A, I assume from a fresh battery. For a second I tried two cr123s and got 3A.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nake said:
I've noticed a lot of different amp draws at the battery from this light. I got 1.7A with a fresh battery, and just before the protection kicked in after 90min it was 1.5A. In the reviews section thread, "Randy555" got 1.6A, I assume from a fresh battery. For a second I tried two cr123s and got 3A.
That sounds almost like this light is a direct drive with a resistor. If that were true though, I'd expect the LED to be cooked almost immediately through it.
Something doesn't sound right there at all. 3A from 2 CR123s is almost 24 watts! Perhaps the circuit is drawing higher amounts of current in pulses, off and on, and that is throwing off your multimeter or something. Something that small consuming 24W would get extremely hot (take for example a 25W soldering iron...)

I have read though that there are multiple versions of this light floating around

Last edited:

KWillets

Newly Enlightened
Argh, my tail switch stopped working. Are there any quick fixes to try? I rattled it quite a bit on a bike handlebar mount. I have no light in any mode now.

I've had trouble measuring a consistent current too. I have a new DMM, and my first thought was that it wasn't working correctly. I don't think I got more than 700 mA, but it's brighter than that.

x2x3x2

Banned
try checkin the tab on the switch module which makes contact to the tailcap, it might have been bent inwards to much while bumbing on ur bike.

moon lander

Enlightened
Nake said:

have you checked the current going to the led? the current going to the regulator could vary, but the stated spec was 1200ma to the led. Norm was your measurement at the led or the battery?

x2x3x2

Banned
3A from 2xCR123 is a lot of power! Did yout light get hot or LED burn out?

Norm

Retired Administrator
moon lander said:
have you checked the current going to the led? the current going to the regulator could vary, but the stated spec was 1200ma to the led. Norm was your measurement at the led or the battery?
Mesured with the tailcap removed, so total current.
Norm

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
You know this light is designed only for use with a 18650 ??? So don´t be surprised, if the currents with a multi-cell setup are (too) high ...

Mine is doing 1A with a fresh 18650 ...

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity said:
That sounds almost like this light is a direct drive with a resistor. If that were true though, I'd expect the LED to be cooked almost immediately through it.
Something doesn't sound right there at all. 3A from 2 CR123s is almost 24 watts! Perhaps the circuit is drawing higher amounts of current in pulses, off and on, and that is throwing off your multimeter or something. Something that small consuming 24W would get extremely hot (take for example a 25W soldering iron...)

I have read though that there are multiple versions of this light floating around

I agree something doesn't sound right. I was surprised by my readings. I have a Fluke MM so I'm trusting that. "doc felixander" in the review thread, post 90, said he did fry his emitter with two RCR123s. The light does get fairly warm as per my test in the review thread, post 79. I just touched mine for a second with the CR123s when it jumped to 3V.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
moon lander said:

Not sure how to check current to LED. Would touching the + on the LED and negative on the battery work?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
3A from 2xCR123 is a lot of power! Did yout light get hot or LED burn out?

I just checked it for a second. It did get warm when I ran a test on it for 90min, post #79 in the thread in the review section. Battery was 18650 then.

waTom

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody own a Lumapower M1 Cree and this flashlight? I would like to know which one has a better throw?!