EDC King of Throw

wsmarchow

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased the EagleTac D25 Ti Clicky and it's quite amazing. That little light is waterproof, and very bright. I was playing tennis the other night, lost track of time, and the lights shut off. I had 160 balls on the court from doing drills and used this little light to guide my way. The court was well lit. Has anyone modified the light pattern on these ?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oooo that makes perfect sense. Now I can finally read and understand selfbuilts charts when he reviews lights. Lol how about the different types of emitters and what character of beams it produces?

I know xp-g produces more concentrated beam thus more throw

While xm-l produces more of a floods beam.

Idk what xr-e is or q5 r2 r5 if that even relates to the latter.
Each emitter type has a 'bin' classification. The higher the bin the higher the lumen output for that emitter type. e.g.

XM-L's have been available in quite a few bins, the last three have been:

T6
U2
U3

with U3 producing the most lumens for a given current.

Q5 is a common bin acrosss several emitters (although means different things for different emitters), but is tyically meaning an XR-E. An R2 XR-E is a higher bin, but quite rare these days.

Things that affect throw are emitter luminesance (sp?). XR-E have a brighter surface area than an XM-L, it's just the XM-L is a lot bigger hence more lumens.

Reflector size, large reflectors will throw further than smaller ones for the same emitter.

Relative emitter size vs reflector. So a larger emitter in the same size reflector will throw less than a smaller one.

Lumens do play a part of it, but a bit like torque does with engines when talking HP. In the way that more lumens might mean more lux, but they might not depending on other factors. However given equal variables a higher lumen emitter of the same type will throw further if all else is equal.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The true EDC has to be small.

Milky builds the L1 Extreme with XR-E R2 at 1.8A

Mine net 15.5K lux and 390 OTF lumens. Now, thats a small pocketable thrower. I have a feeling with an XPG2 at 3A it would hit 20K lux though.

bigC

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Eagletac D25LC2 XP-G2 and D25C XP-G2 throw well for their compact dimensions.

davyro

Enlightened
I finally got round to trying my Jetbeam BC10 with an IMR battery & i've got to say what a nice surprise it was to see the throw it put out.I've just had an HDS 170T modded with an XPG 2 it's still in the post on it's way to me & i can't wait to try that out.Everything I've heard about the XPG 2 LED is what i would call my perfect beam profile,i like a tighter than average hotspot to give me that extra bit of throw but it seems to have enough spill as well obviously not a spill like an XML LED but i prefer
to lose a bit of spill for a farther throw capability. I like the sound of the L1 Extreme with an XPG 2 what bigchelis mentions that sounds like a great option.:eek:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just throwing these in:

Lumintop L1C (or P1C)

and the

Dereelight Javelin with C2H body. :)

Deft EDC I would recommend, but its no longer in production. :)

Explorer series of Nitecore are good throwers, if you can look past the fact they aren't waterproof.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading selfbuilts review of the olight s10:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?344172-Olight-S10-Baton-%28XM-L-1xCR123A-RCR%29-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

and noticed he lists the JetBeam BC10 XP-G R5 and Nitecore EC1 XP-G R5 as having ridiculous numbers when using AW RCR. Are those the top pocket throwers?

Yes, these seem to be the top throwers for small 16340 lights. I would consider the EC2 also as it's the size of a 16340 light at only .35 inches longer than the BC10. There are some big problems with the EC series though. I'm testing my EC-1 now to determine whether I have a bad battery or it's dying in 2-3 days time. I have heard of high standby drain problems. It'll be a real shame if thats the case. I really like it a lot. It's the king thrower of tiny lights.

jalibass

Newly Enlightened
Thought it might be time to check back in and see what the latest & greatest in 16340/ single RCR123 is. Still looking for ridiculous throw and low low for up close work. I am still super happy with my nitecore extreme Q5 XR-E and if I'm going to replace it I want a holy cr@p moment.

donn_

Flashaholic
The best really small thrower I've seen is an Aleph 19 with an XP-E2 light engine and a Led Zeppelin aspheric setup instead of the McR19 reflector.

jalibass

Newly Enlightened
I'll check that light out, thank you. Is anyone upgrading or making drop-ins for the nitecore extreme?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Surefire 3P or 3p ish with a Fivemega tube and Z59 tailcap powered by either IMR 16340 or 18350 and XP-E2 P60 dropin 2.5A dedomed and smooth reflector.

jalibass

Newly Enlightened
Keep talking... how would I go about putting that together? I'll search Fivemega and Z59. Already have and love the IMR 16340s. Will this set up have the same/ish run times as the Nitecore Extreme Q5?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jetbeam BC10 smooth reflector and XP-G2 would be monster using AW IMR 16340 cell. However I don't think Jetbeam will make this a production light. If you are able to mod a BC10 with a XP-G2, then this would be a good alternative.

I did just this to my wife's BC10. I even thought about swapping in an XP-E2 to see how much the throw improves.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep talking... how would I go about putting that together? I'll search Fivemega and Z59. Already have and love the IMR 16340s. Will this set up have the same/ish run times as the Nitecore Extreme Q5?

I used a
Surefire 6P bezel Z44
Z59 tailcap
Fivemega 18350 tube
P60 drop-in module, smooth reflector, XP-E2 Dedome 2.5A on high. Then wrapped this in copper, but you can use aluminium foil instead.

The runtine using a single AW IMR 18350 will be less than your Nitecore Extreme Q5, but it will throw much further J

I did just this to my wife's BC10. I even thought about swapping in an XP-E2 to see how much the throw improves.

I haven't tried my BC10 with a XP-E2 on copper. I am not sure if I will be able to focus it properly to obtain the most throw. I am happy to keep it XP-G2 R5 for now.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Turbo on a 14500?

8578305861_8f7f1e078c.jpg

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 4sevens mini123 modded with XPE2 4000K that throws fairly well on 16340 (DD in hi mode ;)

And a DQG mini18650 modded with dedomed XML2 @3amps.
It throws a bit better than the mini123