Elektro Lumens 'Blaster II' 3 'D' Cells

r2

Enlightened
Re: Elektro Lumens \'Blaster II\' 3 \'D\' Cells

Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
When I metered it, I was shocked to see it measures at 1,557 lux!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Am I reading that right? That's almost twice as bright as Mr Bulk's LGI and several times brighter than most other 1W LS lights we've seen! Is there much spill or is all the light tightly focused?

Have you tried thw 5W emitter with your new optics yet? The Lumileds optics don't work as well with the 5W because of its bigger die size so I'm curious to see how your new optics fare. I hope the results are as impressive as they are with the 1W!

A few more questions if you don't mind:

A few people have made great progress in heat sinking the 5W and are finding they work better than expected in smaller bodies. Do you think the current Blaster II or even the Blaster I would work with a 5W?

Also, how do the dimensions of the Blaster compare to a Maglite? How about the interior diameter of the battery tube?

I ask because when all the components are available I'd like to make a light using a 2D maglite with 8AA batteries and a regulator (either the Badboy with 4AA x 2 in parallel or the Wizard if it is available with 8AA in series) driving a 5W emitter. I think the Blaster is a cooler design, though, and if everything works okay (heatsinking, optics, the fit of the battery tube, availability of the Blaster I) I may see if I can hire you to build one in a Blaster I body.

I'll probably pick up a stock Blaster II in any case just because it is so cool and I don't have a long running light.

- Russ

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by x-ray:
Any estimates on runtime using 3D cells ?

BTY the new colors look really cool
cool006.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As with other 3D flashlights, expect about 24 hours of good bright light, and another 48 hours of gradually diminishing but useful light. This is with alkalines.

Wayne J.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by r2:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
When I metered it, I was shocked to see it measures at 1,557 lux!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Am I reading that right? That's almost twice as bright as Mr Bulk's LGI and several times brighter than most other 1W LS lights we've seen! Is there much spill or is all the light tightly focused?

Have you tried thw 5W emitter with your new optics yet? The Lumileds optics don't work as well with the 5W because of its bigger die size so I'm curious to see how your new optics fare. I hope the results are as impressive as they are with the 1W!

A few more questions if you don't mind:

A few people have made great progress in heat sinking the 5W and are finding they work better than expected in smaller bodies. Do you think the current Blaster II or even the Blaster I would work with a 5W?

Also, how do the dimensions of the Blaster compare to a Maglite? How about the interior diameter of the battery tube?

I ask because when all the components are available I'd like to make a light using a 2D maglite with 8AA batteries and a regulator (either the Badboy with 4AA x 2 in parallel or the Wizard if it is available with 8AA in series) driving a 5W emitter. I think the Blaster is a cooler design, though, and if everything works okay (heatsinking, optics, the fit of the battery tube, availability of the Blaster I) I may see if I can hire you to build one in a Blaster I body.

I'll probably pick up a stock Blaster II in any case just because it is so cool and I don't have a long running light.

- Russ
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, you are reading it correctly. The beam is very focused, and I actually measure 1,657 lux. I did a typo up there. I tried it outside last night, and it is very tight and throws a long way. I'll have beam shots later. I didn't get to it last night.

I don't know how the new 30mm optics wor with the 5W. I'll have to test that too. I think the larger size collects more of the light than the smaller Lumileds optics. It seems to do a better job also of focusing the light. Beamshots will tell a better story.

As regards the Blaster and the 5W, I had mounted some 5W emitters in the original Blaster. Heat sinking in this flashlight is more than superb, and a 5W stays cool. A shorter version of the Blaster can house a 6AA battery pack just fine, so it is one possibility, or a longer 6AA battery pack can also be used in the 3D version.

The 1 watt is still a very viable option, even with the 5W coming out. It gets fantastic battery life, is suffiently bright for most tasks a flashlight is used for. The 5W will be a real battery pulverizer!
shocked.gif
I think the 5W is still better than incandescents, though, and with 5D cells, still gets good battery life.

Wayne J.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne, any idea when will be the 5W/6AA be available? This will be shorter and smaller than 6AA on Maglit 2D. I really want to see effect of 5W with your custom optics.

Alan

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne,
Sounds like the 5W high dome running your new optics with the 5D cells would be the perfect light for me! I can run 6 NiMH C cells with an adapter and dummy cell. Ultra-bright tight beam with a long throw, it indeed will be a good new year! I figure a 5D Blaster II with required NiMH resistor and new optics will run ~$100?
Nice Blaster II design, it will look good in my possession!
grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by BentHeadTX:
Wayne,
Sounds like the 5W high dome running your new optics with the 5D cells would be the perfect light for me! I can run 6 NiMH C cells with an adapter and dummy cell. Ultra-bright tight beam with a long throw, it indeed will be a good new year! I figure a 5D Blaster II with required NiMH resistor and new optics will run ~$100?
Nice Blaster II design, it will look good in my possession!
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Using 6 rechargables, a 5 watt 2.2 ohm resistor would also be needed. Not sure on the price.

Wayne J.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne J, I won't like to rush you, but I am sure beam shots are on top of the list of priority for many people who are excited by your new collimator...
grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Nerd:
Wayne J, I won't like to rush you, but I am sure beam shots are on top of the list of priority for many people who are excited by your new collimator...
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll get a few up tonight.

Wayne J.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am told by the manufacturers I can have the flashlights in about 3 or 4 weeks. So, I would like to know what colors to produce these first 100 in. I would like to go with two colors. The colors are: black, gold, hunter green, blue. I also will start a post in the for sale section, to start taking pre-orders. Only $59.99 plus shipping.

I'll give more information on the flashlight later on tonight.

Wayne J.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please advise if the HA is only for black or all 4 colors.

Alan

snuffy

Enlightened

Personally I have to many black flashlights.
grin.gif
grin.gif

I'd like to buy a gold or blue one.
wink.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne,
Was eyeballing the Wizard 2~9V voltage/current regulator that "the other Wayne" is working on. Hmmmm, what about the Blaster II 3D with that regulator board coupled with your new optics and a 5 watt Lambertian LS? He would need to make it jump from an output of ~4V to 7.2V but, it sure would be a great light!
grin.gif

Maybe I am just getting ahead of myself, but when you dream...dream big! Now for those beamshots. Thanks Wayne!

Wylie

Enlightened

This is going to be good! Color does not matter all that much to me with lux readings like you have stated.
To think, I have been playing with magnifying glasses lately in different combinations to focus light from a little 5mm and here you are with these new optics for the 1 watt like I was working toward. I am sure the beam shots will be something to behold as I have found a few combinations that really surprised me in what I have been doing. Very even light disbursing I am sure and at one point a very defined circle of light?
Congratulations Wayne!!!
icon14.gif

bucken

Enlightened

I kinda like the Hunter Green color.

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened

Yes, Wayne, it's me the guy that just bought the garrity focusable 5watt 6AA resistored flashlight you're building for me.

How much would it cost for the 6AA 5watt cyan blaster II using your new optics package. You mentioned above that a 6AA version would be possible. And it must be resistorred for my NIMH's of course. I don't mean to be picky. There really is a big difference in rechargeable Dand AA batteries. The D's take 7 times longer to charge for the same mah capacity as the equivalent bulk of AA's take to charge. I hate waiting. I just found this out over the last few months. D's suck.

But, for just for pricing's sake, how much for the 6D 5watt resistored variant as well.

When could I order these, or are you only selling 1watt flashlights in this configuration right now.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by ledfanfromjuno:
Yes, Wayne, it's me the guy that just bought the garrity focusable 5watt 6AA resistored flashlight you're building for me.

How much would it cost for the 6AA 5watt cyan blaster II using your new optics package. You mentioned above that a 6AA version would be possible. And it must be resistorred for my NIMH's of course. I don't mean to be picky. There really is a big difference in rechargeable Dand AA batteries. The D's take 7 times longer to charge for the same mah capacity as the equivalent bulk of AA's take to charge. I hate waiting. I just found this out over the last few months. D's suck.

But, for just for pricing's sake, how much for the 6D 5watt resistored variant as well.

When could I order these, or are you only selling 1watt flashlights in this configuration right now.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Right now I will be focusing on just getting out the 3D Blaster in the 1 watt. Perhaps later on, as I have time, I can give more consideration to other variations.

I'll have to give considerations to the new optics too, if and how I might sell them separately? I need to talk it over with the manufacturer first, before I open my big mouth.
grin.gif

These new optics are way better than I imagined.

Wayne J.

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened

I think I want one of these 1 watt 3D flashlights. Of course I want it resistorred for nimh D batteries. Is that possible for you to do with this particular flashlight, or is it only offered with ZERO resistance?

Can I paypal you for one right now?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

grin.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif

WOW! I just may have to get one of those to enjoy until the 5w monsters get figured out! 4X the output at the beam center... jeez! With the 1 watt LS sipping abilities... no need for rechargables. BB500, Mini-LGI and a Blaster II? Hmmmm, sounds like something to add to the collection. How many flashlights can I get before my wife starts shooting? I guess I will be ordering one next week. The sickness continues.
smile.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by ledfanfromjuno:
I think I want one of these 1 watt 3D flashlights. Of course I want it resistorred for nimh D batteries. Is that possible for you to do with this particular flashlight, or is it only offered with ZERO resistance?

Can I paypal you for one right now?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am waiting to hear from the manufacturer, before I start accepting payment. I'll start a thread in the for sale section. I am told 3 or 4 weeks for delivery. I'll have 100 of them to sell to start with.

One thing nice about this for me is that they are completely assembled when I get them. Maybe I can start doing something else besides always assembling and modifying flashlights?

Wayne J.