Elektro Lumens 'Blaster II' 3 'D' Cells

r2

Enlightened
Re: Elektro Lumens \'Blaster II\' 3 \'D\' Cells

I vote for the green case color. Gold or blue as a second choice.

I think you may have finally convinced me to get a big light. I've always favored the small lights, but this is just too good to pass up.

I'll say it again--great job Wayne! Those beamshots are impressive and the light looks great.

- Russ

StevieRay

Enlightened

Wayne,

I am new to the board and don't know if anyone has suggested this. But would it be possible to build a 1watt and/or a 5watt version of this torch with a resistor that you could switch on or off to allow NiMh or alkaline use?? Just a thought!

Steve

sstrauss

Newly Enlightened

Wayne, I just got 2 of your 3d lights a few weeks ago. Would it be possible to switch out the old optics for the new when they become available?

Scott

Kiessling

Flashaholic

gold. yes. gold for sure.
second is blue.
bernhard

woodbender

Newly Enlightened

I love the hot spot on the blaster. How does the throw on the blaster(with your new collimator) compare to the starlux? I have a 2d mag converted to 3c using the stock collimator and while I like it, I don't get a tight enough beam for my liking. It looks as though your blaster will suit my needs extremely well. Look forward to your releasing them as I will have to buy one. While I like all the colors you have, the gold looks real slick. Will you be offering these with different colored leds, or just the white? I would eventually like one in a red setup for extended periods of night use while out on the river in my canoe.

woodbender

Newly Enlightened

Now that I look at the colors again, my first choice is green, second black, third gold.

r2

Enlightened

Wayne,

As you mentioned, the 5W emitter really slurps up battery power quickly. What we really need is a dual mode light. One with a 5W emitter that normally runs underdriven with the same light output as a 1W (that seems to be a good amount of light for most normal use). Then when you really need to light up the world, you can kick it into turbo mode to get the full 5W output. A Turbo Blaster would really take advantage of the ability to dim LEDs which you can't really do with incandescents.

I know you've got your hands full right now, but if you can figure out a good way to do it I'm sure lots of people would flock to it.

- Russ

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened

Wayne, if I may make a suggestion, if you were to design your tailcap such that the diameter could fit a D size cell, you could have caps made that would allow 6 x 1/2D cells to be put in a 3D body. This would be allow for the voltage you need to drive the 5W in a package about the same size as your 3D 1W. It would still probably give you a 4 or 5 hour run time using high capacity NiMH's. (1/2 D's are about 37mm long and D's are about 58mm long.)

StreamChucker

woodbender

Newly Enlightened

Just put my payment for a green blaster II in the mailbox. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Zephyr

Enlightened

Wayne,

I have the Blaster #5 and wondering if you can retrofit it using your new 30mm optics? Would that be possible? If so, how much would it cost? Just wondering. Thanks so much!

ZEPH

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by StreamChucker:
Wayne, if I may make a suggestion, if you were to design your tailcap such that the diameter could fit a D size cell, you could have caps made that would allow 6 x 1/2D cells to be put in a 3D body. This would be allow for the voltage you need to drive the 5W in a package about the same size as your 3D 1W. It would still probably give you a 4 or 5 hour run time using high capacity NiMH's. (1/2 D's are about 37mm long and D's are about 58mm long.)

StreamChucker
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's about 48mm difference. It might be possible to make it work by shortening the switch holder. I'll have to take some measurements. If the switch holder were shortened, and you machined out the tail cap, it may work?

There is, surely, an infinite number of ways to make the flashlight. I had to settle on one design, and go with that.

How about using 1/2 or 1/3 C cells with a tube spacer?

I do like the idea of 6 1/2 D cells.

Wayne J.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Zephyr:
Wayne,

I have the Blaster #5 and wondering if you can retrofit it using your new 30mm optics? Would that be possible? If so, how much would it cost? Just wondering. Thanks so much!

ZEPH
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not sure if I can or not. There were some machining changes made in the head to accomdate the new optics and lens cover.

Your Blaster #05 is a collector's item, as only 25 were made.

By the way, I still have #01. I may have another of the original 25 Blasters, but if I do, it may be sold to someone already, as I promised them one. Number #01 may be auctioned someday? I'm hanging onto it for now.

Wayne

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened

Certainly, 1/2 or 1/3 C cells would work, but there is so much less juice in them that you will only get 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. of runtime. I had another idea to achieve the same end. You could add a tube spacer adapter that you add on like a Brinkman 5-3-2. Ideally though, I would modularize the thing so you can keep parts to a minimum. Have a head/switch assembly, a body tube, and a tailcap. You could vary the body tube length depending on your application. If you needed different size heads, I suppose you could even split the head/switch assembly into a head assembly and a switch assembly. But I certainly realize the complications optimizing cost with performance and customer expectations. I design products for a living myself.

StreamChucker

Zephyr

Enlightened

Okay Wayne, nevermind.
grin.gif
I'll just keep the Blaster #5 the way it is. Thanks so much!!!

ZEPH

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I am glad Wayne mentioned working on a 5W with the new optics... I will wait for that one.... is it here yet? Is it here yet?
grin.gif

Tweel

Newly Enlightened

Wayne,

Are you willing to supply the optics separately? Or supply info to buy direct from the mfr if you do not have an exclusive agreement with them?

Paul D.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Tweel:
Wayne,

Are you willing to supply the optics separately? Or supply info to buy direct from the mfr if you do not have an exclusive agreement with them?

Paul D.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I will not be selling the optics separately. They will only be available in the Blaster II.

Wayne J.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regarding not selling the optics, I apologize for this, but it is not my call. I do have people I am working with, and am purchasing parts from, and they do not want to sell the optics separately, at least, not at this time. Please do not be mad at me.

Wayne J.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne-

The Blaster II head looks smaller than the Electroblaster seeming to give the elegant design a more streamlined look. But I'm not sure. Is it? Does it?

Also, in the photo the gold one looks like it has a recessed switch. Does it?

Someone asked if the gold, green and blue were also anodized. Are they?

*********ramblings***********

On the Elecktrolemuns web site it would be enjoyable to see a profile photo. Where is Aluminum Overcast when I need him?

I would like to say that Electrolumens made me mad. I cannot. I'm a little irritated at myself because I thought that an LGI, two BadBoys and a MadMax would be enough for a few months. How can I pass on a Blaster II?