Embarrassed by being a flashaholic?

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure that people are puzzled why I carry as much gear as I do, but for me I wear my gear affections on my sleeve. It has become part of my image and for the most part people seem to be more concerned about my sheaths (and whether they contain magazines) than the torches ect. in them. Those who get to know me often end up carrying some gear of their own. I would like to think that in the microcosm of my influence, I have made it just a little more socially normal to tote the gears.

That said, I would be hesitant to announce publicly how much time I spend browsing this forum. Maybe I am leaning towards the side of obsession, but I am a very all or nothing person and this intensity of interest while strange to others is the norm for me. I think of it as a gift, as I am able to dive to the bottom of that interest and juice it for everything.

Stream

Enlightened
@ moozooh:
You make some good points. We flashaholics do like to show off our preparedness by 'saving the day' with our many flashlights, but there is (as you say) a level of weirdness associated with being too well prepared. Your analogy with the screwdrivers is apt in this regard: carrying a bunch of screwdrivers around with you outside of a natural context (such as on a toolbelt while working) would definitely be seen as weird by most people. However, a person carrying a small multitool—e.g. a Swiss knife or similar which would include a few screwdrivers, can opener etc.—would likely just be seen as handy. Similarly, a person carrying a small keychain 1xAAA or 1XCR123 light would likely not raise too many eyebrows either.

I tend to be mindful of what I carry, and I will at most be carrying no more than two flashlights at any given time. This would consist of whatever light I have on my keys as well as a 1x18650 in my jacket pocket. I may not always be wearing a jacket—depending on the weather and time of year—in which case I only carry the keychain light. In the winter it is dark most of the day, and I live in a rural area about 20-30mins away from most larger cities, so I rarely get any weird looks for what I carry out here. I've never felt embarrassed. In fact, most people seem pleased to find that I have a light when it is needed. Although, some may have been a little jealous or pissed that my lights outshone theirs. :D

So what is so weird about flashlights as a hobby? If you collected stamps you might be considered a bit eccentric, but nowhere near the level of weirdness of a flashlight collector. I actually think the utilitarian nature of a flashlight is a big part of why people see it as so weird. Most people see them as very basic and boring objects that they rarely give a second thought. Imagine if someone told you they collected toilet seats, or door knobs, and you might get an idea of how our hobby may seem to an outsider. To them, a flashlight is just the $2 dollar plastic light you buy at the grocery store, or (at most) a maglite. However, many people tend to open their eyes when they are introduced to some of the many high-powered light canons that are available out there. It may still seem weird if you carry an excessive amount of lights around with you, but at least they have a better understanding of why you collect them in the first place.

Last edited:

Stream

Enlightened
@GunnarGG:

Good to see a fellow Swede on here :). The 1xAAA would probably be more that enough to carry with you for most of the day, but I would definitely take the 1x18650 on the dog walk at night, and not just for fun. There have been plenty of incidents reported here on CPF where a powerful flashlight has kept both charging dogs and hostile people at bay. There's also a distinct advantage to being able to light something up at a distance; for instance, you may choose to take a detour back home if you see someone who looks like they're up to no good.

Strictly speaking, most of the time you probably won't need a flashlight at all walking your dog on well lit streets, but why not bring a 1x18650 light anyway since you already have one. ;)

GunnarGG

Enlightened
@GunnarGG:

Strictly speaking, most of the time you probably won't need a flashlight at all walking your dog on well lit streets, but why not bring a 1x18650 light anyway since you already have one. ;)

Hi Stream!
Well, I do bring an 18650 light or similar. The lights for today is: LD01 in jeans pocket, E2DL in jacket pocket and SC30w in the other jacket pocket.

The thing is that I don't try to justify to myself or to anybody else that I need these lights.
I bring them because I have a flashlight interest and like the differences in UI, tint, beam, throw or whatever.
For me and, I'll guess, most CPFers, this makes perfectly sence.
It is when exaggerating the importance of carrying these lights to other people that it starts to get silly and maybe embarrassing.

About chasing away dogs with a flashlight I think that if I really was that concerned about attacking dogs I should also carry a bat or large knife whenever leaving the house.

And then we are back to what moozooh said, if it really is that important to be prepared/safe there are so many other things to carry, like medications.

My cellphone is more fragile than my flashlights and maybe more of a lifesaver in case of an emergency.
I need to carry 2 or 3 cellphones then.

Traffic hurts and kills more people than dogs and violent people.
I need to use my bike helmet also when I'm out walking

Well, flashlights are fun and useful, lets enjoy them!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, I'd rather have a bunch of unprepared "normies" looking at me as if I'm a bit weird, then actually not being able to save the day with a bit of flashlight overkill. My tolerance level of those who choose to go unprepared on a daily basis is currently running on fumes. So if something happens and they need a light, unless it's literally Life or Death, they can fumble around in the dark like blind mice.

Stream

Enlightened
About chasing away dogs with a flashlight I think that if I really was that concerned about attacking dogs I should also carry a bat or large knife whenever leaving the house.

But then you would get in trouble ;). I don't think anyone has gotten in trouble for carrying a small flashlight in their pocket.

And then we are back to what moozooh said, if it really is that important to be prepared/safe there are so many other things to carry, like medications.

You know, carrying a small container of common emergency medications is actually not a bad idea. As moozah said, it would take up roughly the same space as a 1x18650 light. I've witnessed people having bad allergic reactions before, and it's scary. Knowing first aide is also very useful. I believe in being prepared, but within reason. Your examples of carrying a large knife or bat, 3 cellphones and a bike helmet just to walk the dog would be good examples of going too far. :D

A flashlight is an essential part of any emergency preparedness kit. Here in Sweden (and I believe in most countries), the authorities recommend that you have at least one flashlight with spare batteries along with other essentials in your car. And carrying at least one small keychain light with you at all times is just a sensible precaution. Especially with all the easy to carry, small high output lights that are available. But there is of course no hiding that our interest in flashlights goes beyond the mere practical; it is (as you say) a fun hobby. No one needs to carry three different lights on them. And if not for the constant hunger for more and more lumens, in new and interesting packages, I doubt this forum would be as active as it currently is.

moozooh

Enlightened
A flashlight is an essential part of any emergency preparedness kit. Here in Sweden (and I believe in most countries), the authorities recommend that you have at least one flashlight with spare batteries along with other essentials in your car.

Indeed, a car is a completely different thing from EDC. There's more danger associated with it due to potential speed and distance (so extra stuff is warranted), and it has lots more spare room than an average urban bag or cloth pockets. Some gear, such as a medkit, a spare tyre, and hoisting jack, are even enforced in many countries. It's no problem carrying virtually everything you might need in a car*, and you can leave everything in the trunk—you don't have to specifically choose what to carry on yourself.

* — I remember stumbling upon EarthRoamer's website a couple years ago. Man, that is some efficient interior planning.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should be mad that that I look like a woman, but instead I'm disappointed they didn't get the lights right.

Fantastic post. I know what my work colleagues think of me as when the post arrives, they say "Another flashlight!? Or is it a knife of something for a gun?" I can imaging the caricature they would get done for me.

But I would be more disappointed if I ended up looking like a woman ;-)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be, not anymore. Now my limiting factor is how much gear do I want to carry. I have usually an Arc AAA or Aeon in my pocket. My backpack has a hand held, currently an EB1 and a Minimus headlamp with 4 spare cells. Plus an extra battery for the Arc AAA/Aeon. If I'm traveling my luggage will have a G2 with a full SC1 and a half dozen glow sticks.

langham

Enlightened
My cellphone is more fragile than my flashlights and maybe more of a lifesaver in case of an emergency.
I need to carry 2 or 3 cellphones then.
What you could do is just buy one Sonim phone and then your phone would be just as rugged as your flashlight.
I agree on the justification issue, there are other threads about this. I simply am not embarrassed because it is a hobby and I get more out of the modification process than the actual use. I have a couple flashlights that I haven't used in a couple years that I play around with on a weekly basis at minimum to modify them. I recently received a TN31 for Christmas and decided to take it around with me just for one day and that didn't go over too well considering the size of it and that I carried the case with me.
Bottom line this thread has brought to surface a few things that I didn't realize one being that the same people that like to be over prepared are the same people that have a lot of flashlights, and of course if a guy has a utility belt on he is not scared of the social implications of carrying a flashlight with him.

Inline6Silvia

Newly Enlightened
I'm fairly new to EDCing a flashlight. But twice now I see two coworkers break out their phone to use their flashlight app. One had to look for something in a really dark corner of our department. And the other had to try and hold his phone while trying to work on the back of his PC under his desk. I bust out my Microstream (w/ 10440 battery) and surprised both of them. One coworker used one Gander gift card to buy a Microstream a couple days later. He is on the fence about going with with a 10440 cell though.

ico

Enlightened
The only time I was embarrassed was when we went out of town last dec in a pinch. I never knew I was coming as well so I wasn't prepared. I only managed to bring 1 light. An E05. I was embarrassed to have only brought one instead of at least 2 which I normally do.