Emisar D18

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
D4S has stepped UI - default 7 steps with the option of quite a few more (I've not experimented with this as I find the step/thermal setup modes confusing). I find the spacing to be satisfactory and use it instead of the ramping UI, which for its ability to hit something close to the precisely correct brightness is distracting and also seems to encourage needless fidgeting with it. But I still like my D4's.

It is even usually possible to figure out discrete steps that land exactly on the ramp channels. Toykeeper has a python script she keeps on her site for calculating the steps, although I found it more convenient to copy the same calculation into Excel.

On the D4S, if you want 7 levels, and you leave the ramp ceiling at the default of step 120, you can set the ramp minimum to 9, 10, or 11 (default is 20), and step 5 will be the 100% 3x7135 channel.

If you want the lowest possible moonlight, you can choose 7 levels, discrete ramp floor of 1, and discrete ramp ceiling of 124 or 125.

I have my ROT66 similarly configured with a step exactly at 100% 1x7135 and another at 100% 7x7135.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Every afternoon I get home from work. Desperately hoping for a parcel to have arrived.
Hate waiting for new lights!
Anyone got theirs yet? I'll be doing a YouTube "review" once I get mine. I say review. More just my humble opinions. This light is far to advanced for me to properly detail.

Nichia!

Banned
Yes please we need pictures or video review or both:)

I want to buy it but am not sure about the SST-20 4000-3000k Hi CRI..

It seems some people like it and others don't and I am really tired of buying lights for just to see the color temp/tint this cost me a lot of money..

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Yes please we need pictures or video review or both:)

I want to buy it but am not sure about the SST-20 4000-3000k Hi CRI..

It seems some people like it and others don't and I am really tired of buying lights for just to see the color temp/tint this cost me a lot of money..

I'll give it a bash mate. I wasn't totally sold on the d4s 3000k so gone for the 4000k for the d18. Hopefully that'll be a sweet spot. Hoping for pwm on low modes to keep green tint at bay

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll give it a bash mate. I wasn't totally sold on the d4s 3000k so gone for the 4000k for the d18. Hopefully that'll be a sweet spot. Hoping for pwm on low modes to keep green tint at bay
My understanding is D18 has PWM on low modes as follows: 1x7135, 13x7135 and FET.

Very low modes PWM, but because they are only running off one 7135 chip (usually 350 mAh) for 18 LEDs, current to each LED will be quite low and I'd expect greenish tint shift. Same for the intermediate channel which uses the 13x7135 + the 1x7135. That's still less than 350 mAh per emitter so probably quite green.

My plan is to install Lee minus-green filter if I can't stand the green. I did that in in my SST-20 4000K 95 CRI Emisar D4 and was quite pleased with the result. I think it's worth a 14% reduction in output from the filter in exchange for no-green.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
My plan is to install Lee minus-green filter if I can't stand the green. I did that in in my SST-20 4000K 95 CRI Emisar D4 and was quite pleased with the result. I think it's worth a 14% reduction in output from the filter in exchange for no-green.

I had considered Lee filters. But how will it affect the tint on high outputs when the green tint naturally diminishes. Will it just make the tint slightly rosy?

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Some notes on the D18:
- The light uses 18 individual separately mounted optics in their own mounts instead of a one-piece optic. With the individual optics and mounts there doesn't appear to be room for a bezel LED board. However, I'm sure Lexel will give it a shot when he gets his D18 and let us know whether such is possible.
- Compared to the Noctigon Meteor M43, the D18 is considerably smaller and about twice as bright. It should also have a better UI than the M43.
- Based on Toykeeper's output and temp sensor chart on BLF I expect turbo output to start at 14,000 lumens then very rapidly ramp down to approximately 3,000 lumens where the temp stabilizes.
- Supposedly the first D18s have already shipped. One guy in Asia claims to have already received his. And at least one other person on BLF claims to have received his shipping notice today.

the upcoming astrolux mf01s will have aux leds and also it will have same like d18, 18 sst20 emitters so its a shame emisar didnt make a way with aux leds, i think its a nice feature.

Diomedes

Newly Enlightened
I really like the look of the D18 and Hank's lights are generally very good quality. The only thing holding me back from purchasing one is the use of SST-20's which tend to be a bit too green for my liking (would prefer XP-L HI's or even XP-G2's) and the fact that it will probably be a bit too floody for my preferences. I liked how the Meteor M43 used Carclo optics which could be swapped out the have a hotspot or to be pure flood. Only downfall of the M43 is the UI. The D18's UI (being Anduril) is excellent.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be possible to swap in different optics in the D18.

It uses 18 individual optics rather than a single-piece custom optic. If you can find optics of similar size, it should be possible to swap.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Light arrived today :)Very pleased with the quality and the finish. It's flawless as far as I can see.No idea on the UI yet. Need to study lol!Tint as expected is a little green at low-mid outputs but I don't think I'm too bothered. I could always put a filter on if I decide to. Max output is blinding. At 10000 lumens it's the brightest light I've owned by a decent margin. Tried it in the garden, love the colour temp and tint when on high/max. Just looks beautiful.Just very pleased. Great light. New favourite.I've done a first thoughts video, It's uploading now. Not detailed, just a bit of waffle and a look At The light.Edit and update- my laptop updated overnight and interrupted upload, I will try again tonight.Still need to buy a meteor again though, its a classic.

Last edited:

NPL

Enlightened
Do you happen to have an M43? Would love to hear your feedback between the two lights especially around beam profile.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one with XP-L Hi 4000k V2 5D. Hoping it is a winning combo and tint below the BBL

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Do you happen to have an M43? Would love to hear your feedback between the two lights especially around beam profile.

I don't currently have an m43 sorry. I have to keep selling my lights on to fund more to keep reviews fresh. Downside is I struggle to do comparison videos

Latest posts