Emisar D4S

markr6

Flashaholic
The text about non-magnetic caps is down in the specifications section and the non-magnetic caps are already available from Mtn.

Thanks! I found it. Definitely worth the $3.99 to me.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you have any thread lube on, that might be making the connection bad, wipe it clean. You shouldn't have to twist it so tight to make a connection. Thread lube is notorious for interfering with the path. Great news though!

No thread lube unless intl-outdoor shipped it that way. Probably inherent to the way that the battery tube engages the ground contact on the PCB.

Mtn Electronics said they would sell the caps without magnets separately. Now I see that's gone away. Too bad, because I hate the magnet. It pulls the batter out when removing, makes it easy to drop.

I simply make a habit of securing the cell before the magnet can extract it. As an added bonus, the magnet does a great job of keeping an 18650 centered for casual use without a spacer.

However, I can appreciate that it's not universally wanted. Looks like intl-outdoor can supply it without the battery.

markr6

Flashaholic
I got my magnet-less cap from mtnelectronics. I love it!! You wouldn't it would be much lighter, but it's very noticable. No more pulling my keys, paperclips, cords, etc. around the counter either.

low

Enlightened
I just got my D4S with the S4 3D, grey with amber aux, along with the D1S today. And it does feel a lot lighter, like a 1/2 oz at the tail cap.

Out of all the tints I like the S4 3D the best. It really shows up colors good and the moonlight mode is twice as bright as any of the others. If it will run that for 100 days I will be one happy camper. And I might add that the spot is more defined than the XP-L HI 3A and that helped to see stuff better.

I think the HI will out throw it but it is rainy/foggy and all I can see is bright foglight shining back at me. But the cute little D1S cut right through it. It lite up stuff 300 yds away, easy. Nice tint too.

Oh, and I am digging those amber aux lights.

low

Enlightened
I just got my D4S with the S4 3D, grey with amber aux, along with the D1S today. And it does feel a lot lighter, like a 1/2 oz at the tail cap.

It is 22.2 grams or 0.783082 oz. lighter without the magnet.

Nokoff

Enlightened
I was doing a comparison of the hybrid D4S I picked up at the Skylumen Thanksgiving sale to my 5000k XPL D4S. The Hybrid vn light is very green all the way through.

On an outdoor comparison the stock XPL actually has better reach, not to mention flood, despite how Skylumen rates theirs at ~30kcd higher. It may be the ugly green beam or their numbers are wrong, or both, but stock is much nicer all around.

Skylumen hybrid: looks very green in person:
cc53d2c104bf0cc637f3221caa66f5cc.jpg

The stock XPL:
9d61aac6f56f2257619db435cb85b0ce.jpg

Both on the ceiling: Stock on the left:
07e7c2e8d36764f5fc0c39ae69869604.jpg

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless his XPG2 dedomes are being heavily underdriven, I highly doubt stock XPL HI can out-throw dedomed XPG2s. Only Black Flat can outthrow the dedomed XPG2.

Yes, dedoming emitters-- especially Crees, gives very green tint. Look at the original Olight Javelots for example.

Nokoff

Enlightened
Unless his XPG2 dedomes are being heavily underdriven, I highly doubt stock XPL HI can out-throw dedomed XPG2s. Only Black Flat can outthrow the dedomed XPG2.

Yes, dedoming emitters-- especially Crees, gives very green tint. Look at the original Olight Javelots for example.

I'm going to have to disagree with you . You don't have the relative data to make that statement. I did a 1 to 1 comparison using the D4S quad emitter torch, not one to one emitter as it sounds like your quoting standard data.

Skylumen uses 2 PDT XPG2 and 2 XPL-HI, presumably stock emitters, in the hybrid. No info given on the color temps, power bins, tint, CRI, etc, as usual a lack of details, so real world is where you'll get this data. The only thing keeping the output from being entirely grass green are the 2 XPL-HI emitters.

The luminance at the source has nothing to do with my comparison outside. My comparison has everything to do with the efficacy of the objects I observed 1 to 1. I like to see what I'm looking at.

XPL-Hi gets more lumens than XPG2 and four emitters is no different. XPG2 is even less efficient over 3000 lumens than XPL-Hi, which is where I did my comparison.

In short, Skylumen's hybrid D4S is an ineffective combination from my REAL WORLD TEST, you may disagree if you like.

markr6

Flashaholic
I was originally excited about the Nichia, but I'm not really getting anything out of it. I really wish I went with the 5000K XPL HI or HD instead. It's not really worth selling ($10 ship and $5 here) for the price. Maybe I won't care after I get my Zebralight SC700d...we'll see.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was originally excited about the Nichia, but I'm not really getting anything out of it. I really wish I went with the 5000K XPL HI or HD instead. It's not really worth selling ($10 ship and $5 here) for the price. Maybe I won't care after I get my Zebralight SC700d...we'll see.
Could always reflow new emitters. I personally would drop some Samsung 351Ds into it.

Connor

Enlightened
SST-20 6500K: 4200lm / 58,000cd
SST-20 5000K: 4000lm / 55,000cd
SST-20 4000K 95CRI: 3000lm / 41,000cd

Aaaargh .. Hank really needs to stop doing that! :broke:

Uuh .. could we get a blue D4S with amber AUX LEDs and Samsung LH351D 5000k High CRIs, please?

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
Anyone knows if they going to make a Titanium or Copper version?

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
Any reason to pay the extra for XPL-HI anymore if the SST-20 have about the same lumens and more throw?