Energizer Hard Case Professional Headlight 100 Lumens?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
"It has been said that the green light will not interfere with the hunt, that animals are 'blind' or indifferent to green light.
And deer (we are told in this country by those who sell blaze orange camo gear) can't see orange, so what can they see?

Thus, more and more military personnel, hunters, and other similar consumers are switching to green LED as their choice of personal as well as duty light. This is evident by the increasing orders for green LED flashlights of every kind."
Or it might possibly be just a fad. But that's OK.

Okay, now I'm imagining some guy running around inspecting the pipes of wild animals without disturbng them
:eek: :huh: :duh2: :eek:oo:

Cydonia

Enlightened
3AA alkaline in series = 4.5V = direct drive LED's. Or am I wrong? Isn't this headlamp just going to be like a Dorcy 3AAA direct drive junk - only on 3AA this time, and in a bit better made housing?

Nothing wrong with direct drive... I actually favor it for simplicity and real "reliability" but...

When is this thing going to be available - or is it "in stores now"? :ironic:

Marduke

Flashaholic
3AA alkaline in series = 4.5V = direct drive LED's. Or am I wrong? Isn't this headlamp just going to be like a Dorcy 3AAA direct drive junk - only on 3AA this time, and in a bit better made housing?

Nothing wrong with direct drive... I actually favor it for simplicity and real "reliability" but...

Could be, or maybe they are using a cheaper buck circuit over a more expensive and less efficient boost circuit. Also, their Hard Case Pro line is top notch for housing quality, I expect this light to follow suit.

When is this thing going to be available - or is it "in stores now"? :ironic:

Read post #16

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing, there seems to be only one switch on it, so I hope it's not hi-lo-red-green-off like their other headlights, totally defeat having red led to begin with.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The green LED is also a good night vision retention color..."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​

Pure marketing BS imo. Green is not a good night vision retention color, unless their definition of good is different from my definition of good.
The color green is what we're most sensitive to. Therefore using green we need the least amount of lumens to see something but because we're most sensitive to it it impacts us the most.

3 Alkilines don't hold 4.5v under load, especially when worn down a bit. It is hard to say what they're using, but they're going to have to buck the voltage down to use the red LEDs anyway so I assume they'll have something decent in there for the High power LED and the green as well.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Pure marketing BS imo. Green is not a good night vision retention color, unless their definition of good is different from my definition of good.
The color green is what we're most sensitive to. Therefore using green we need the least amount of lumens to see something but because we're most sensitive to it it impacts us the most.

3 Alkilines don't hold 4.5v under load, especially when worn down a bit. It is hard to say what they're using, but they're going to have to buck the voltage down to use the red LEDs anyway so I assume they'll have something decent in there for the High power LED and the green as well.

Ever notice that the 3 cell headlamps always use 2 red LED's? They can run them in series direct drive off 3 cells and get <2.25v for each LED

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever notice that the 3 cell headlamps always use 2 red LED's?
Why yes, back in post 9. :wave: (OK, so I didn't say they always have two.)

But tired alkalines would be putting out ~1V each, giving a total of 3V. Even red LEDs would be quite dim with only 1.5V to run on. I hope there's a bit more regulation than a glorified resistor.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
With regards to the color of the light and night vision it's good to remember that the amount of light is very important as well. Any color light that is too bright will over power night adapted vision.

There are several different colors used at different levels of brightness that suit different tasks. There is no one color that works for all situations. So while red, green, and even blue LED's are becoming more popular on headlamps and flashlights as well, they might be a fad but they also really can serve different purposes especially with adjustable levels.

For example, reading a map with a red LED can work great for preserving your night vision but is useless if the roads are marked in red. Green light works better in that case. Blue is used for finding blood trails while hunting as the blood shows up as dark and even black spots that really stand out. Green works well with maps as I said above, but adjusting a telescope or using a star chart is done better with red. There is no one best choice for all tasks combined. Practical usage tends to develope practical solutions, and demand drives the market.

I am more concerned about the amount of brightness for headlamps like this. Not all tasks require 100 lumens of white and other colors tend to function better at far lower levels for the tasks for which I need a headlamp.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That actually looks quite nice, but I think I'd prefer white LEDs to the red and green. What sort of switching does it have?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer has a pdf data sheet on this light.

Model number TUFHD31P.
Typical weight (with alkalines) 7.12 oz. (201.50 g.) (Yes, I would like to use lithiums!)
Cree XRE
Dimensions: Light 3.12 x 2.12 x 1.13
Battery Pack 3.00 x 2.75 x 1.13

Looks like it has a separate switch for the white LED (has a high and low) and for the green and red LED's. Switch is on top of the light.

Says it has a flip up diffuser but doesn't show it in the down position so you cannot tell if it is just for the white LED or for the colored LED's as well (which would be very nice for my use).

Top strap is removable.

tty5150

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for info. Do you have a link to this PDF?

If the case is not glued it looks like a nice base to mod.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Says it has a flip up diffuser but doesn't show it in the down position so you cannot tell if it is just for the white LED or for the colored LED's as well (which would be very nice for my use).
If you followed tty5150's link in post 33, the pic at botachtactical.com shows it to be over both.

Anyone know what the two switches operate (and how)?