Energizer Ultimate and Advanced Lithium AA

MorePower

Enlightened
So what is standard ANSI testing?

For AA cells, there are 8 (soon to be 9) ANSI tests. The following PDF lists a subset of the ANSI tests for AAA through 9V cell sizes.

http://batmon.emporia.edu/BatteryConditions.pdf

In addition to the 6 listed for AA cells, there is a photoflash test (1A 10 sec/min, 1 hr/day) and a digital camera test (1500mW for 2 sec, 650mW for 28 seconds, run 5 min/hr).

As you can see, most of these tests are intermittent. This more closely matches the usage patterns of a typical consumer.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You keep the ultimate, and give away the advance.

Ultimate for L1D, Advance for L2D

Last edited:

Power Me Up

Enlightened
I did the integration by printing the graph and cutting out and weighing the curves on a scale sensitive to 0.01 gram. I got 1.07 gram for the Ultimate Lithium curve and 0.82 gram for the Advanced Lithium. So according to this the Advanced Lithium delivered 77% as much power as the Ultimate Lithium (0.82/1.07 = 0.77).

Did you take into account the fact that the voltage scale is starting at 1.0 volts and not 0?

My estimate would be about an 8 to 10% difference for a device with a 1.0 volt cut off. For devices with a higher voltage cutoff, the difference would be much higher - e.g. for a 1.2V cutoff, I'd estimate a difference of about 25%

Bones

Enlightened
Interesting how Energizer has used a twist on Rayovac's "More Power" marketing phrase for the Advanced Lithium cells.

I wonder how a judge would view Energizer's encroachment, especially considering Rayovac has trade marked the phrase 'More Power for Your Money'.

Energizer must be trying to repeat the success it's enjoyed with the Bunny that they stole from Duracel.

The following is quoted from an article entited the 'Top 25 Ads We Can't Get out Of Our Heads' published by USA Today in 2007:

5. Energizer: Energizer Bunny (1989)

Energizer stole Duracell's drum-beating bunny, put it in motion and never looked back. For this campaign, Energizer can beat its own drum. And it's still going and going and going.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be part of Energizer's game plan against ROV.

Energizer is suing Rayovac over Rayovac's attempt to bring lithium AA/AAA cells to market in North America (and break the Energizer monopoly).
Apparently Energizer's patent has expired or something along those lines. The info is buried in a thread here somewhere.

Brlux

Enlightened
I imported the graph data into Excel and calculated watt/hours for each battery.

The Ultimate cell came to 4.257 Wh
The Advanced cell came to 3.815 Wh

So the Advanced cell has 89.6% of the Ultimates power down to 1V with a .5A discharge.

Take this for what it is worth from a guy who couldn't calculate the correct expiration date for the cells. :whistle:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brlux,
Thanks for the thread and your work. Cool pic too! I have a survival pack with a Fenix TK20 and 22 e2 lithiums (ultimate) in a waterproof case. When I was a Sam's, I was very tempted by the lower priced Advanced 12 pack for $14 (I think) vs. the Ultimate 12 pack for $20 (still a great deal considering most stores sell 4 for $10).

I am not sure how much better the Ultamates will perform in the TK20, but at least with your graph I know I am getting SOME difference for the extra money.
thinking.gif

David_Campen

Enlightened
Did you take into account the fact that the voltage scale is starting at 1.0 volts and not 0?

My estimate would be about an 8 to 10% difference for a device with a 1.0 volt cut off

Whoops, no I didn't! That would make them much closer.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw lower priced AA Lithiums today at Target--New trend?

I noticed that Target had two different types of the Energizer lithium AAs. One type was the "ultimate" that was listed for the usual 10 dollar price.

The other type was "advanced" (I think), and it was only about 7 bucks. Both these prices were for the 4-packs.

The info on the packaging indicated that the "ultimate" was higher capacity than the "advanced", but even so I'd be willing to give up some capacity in exchange for the price break so long as the cells still perform with the same high output abilities.

Hopefully this is the start of a trend for decreasing AA lithium prices!! Just think of the possibilities! (For us poorer flashaholics anyway! lol)

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was only a preliminary injunction. Perhaps Rayovac may still win at the full hearing when all the facts are considered.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I saw lower priced AA Lithiums today at Target--New trend?

<Injuction comment deleted>

Move along nothing to see here. Beat to the punch by Mr Happy. Nothing to see.

Brlux

Enlightened
I used the Advanced Lithium in another balloon flight yesterday. They performed well while taking nearly 2000 pictures at very low temperatures and still have power to spare.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the Advanced Lithium in another balloon flight yesterday. They performed well while taking nearly 2000 pictures at very low temperatures and still have power to spare.

wicked cool balloon project! :D

Sounds like the Advanced is a good match for your needs since you are more interested in cold weather performance than squeezing out another 200 pictures.

Brlux

Enlightened
And I have never come close to depleting a set of batteries on a flight and I don't plan on re flying used batteries so any remaining capacity at the end of the flight is just power that will get burnt off in a flashlight around the house or some other non critical use.