Enjoying a couple of (not so old but classic) Surefires

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are y'all doing? I haven't missed a day of work during this COVID craziness. Before anyone jumps on me, we have a small office and we have practiced common sense techniques to keep everyone well.

BUT - I have had more time at my desk and have found myself surfing CPF more than normal. I've been on for 11 years, and during the peak of my obsession the collection really got out of hand. Having time to surf and remember caused me to remember some classics.

Still, it all started with an Olight M20T Warrior. Good little light. Then I "moved up" to a Surefire C2, 6P, L1, A2, LX2, E2E, E1B, E1E, E2D LED Defender, blah blah blah. Those were good lights. Had a number of Milkyspit mods of some classic Surefires.

Malkoff to this day still has amazing, bullet proof lights and world class customer service.

Time marched on and I became infatuated with McGizmos (which I still am), Mac's, Cool Fall, etc....anything that was that purdy, shiny titanium. Timeless.

Oveready came along and innovated (and still innovates) and upped the lumen game in modded and original lights. BOSS anyone?

Then came the wave of lights from the east. I've had my share of those.

Then Jeff Sapp came along with Okluma and changed the game...took the concept of the Mac's customs and created a series of bulletproof lights and coupled the product with unparalleled customer service.

Surely I've left some out. So I've found what I like - a classic Spy 007, a couple of Haikus with Tana Triple mods, a couple of Okluma DC1s and the exquisite DC0 (first run), and a couple of modern HDS. Oh, yeah, a handful of Surefires that I just never sold - 6P, E2E, G2 Nitrolon and a couple of those little AAA lights.

But one day I ran across a WTS for a classic old (not that old) L1 and LX2. Bought the L1. "What? A 'measly' 65 rated lumen 2 level light? What is sexy about that?" It came. I remembered. I loved it. White tint, long throw, bulletproof operation, battery miser. So I reached back out to the seller and acquired the LX2. It reminds me of a slightly longer, slightly brighter, slightly longer throwing L1.

And I realized just how good those lights were and still are.

So with a few idle minutes at my desk, I'm showing some love for a couple of amazing, but discontinued Surefire lights.

This is the L1. I go out for early morning runs and normally carry one of my flame thrower triples. This is 50-75 feet or so - I didn't measure and i'm terrible at eye balling distances.

Here's a couple of shots from just this morning with the LX2. The first shot is the sidewalk 15 yards or so away. The second is of a bush that has to be 75 feet.

Just thought I'd share. That is all. (Thanks again, Tim!)

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Classics from the tail end of the heyday of great Surefires, Dan. They're not making them like those anymore. Thanks for the beamshots!

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
The Surefire 2 stage tailcap (I refuse to call it Gas Pedal) is, in my opinion, the best UI I've ever used. I love it so much that I'm basically at a point with new Surefire lights as to where the only models I show any remote interest in is one's with the 2 Stage tailcap. And sadly those are few and far between.

The LX2 is a classic. An old girlfriend I had gifted me one once for my birthday. Beautiful white creamy tint, perfect low mode for tasks. Interestingly, It disappeared right around the time we broke up :shrug:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The Surefire 2 stage tailcap (I refuse to call it Gas Pedal) is, in my opinion, the best UI I've ever used. I love it so much that I'm basically at a point with new Surefire lights as to where the only models I show any remote interest in is one's with the 2 Stage tailcap. And sadly those are few and far between.

The LX2 is a classic. An old girlfriend I had gifted me one once for my birthday. Beautiful white creamy tint, perfect low mode for tasks. Interestingly, It disappeared right around the time we broke up :shrug:
Concur with all of the above, including how my rather nice modded L2 went to the ex- (am cool with that, she needed one or two good lights and goodness knows I have enough good ones already, lol.

R4JC, a number of years I posted a 'Using the SF L1' thread; I think you might find some of its contents still of interst;
Three years of using the ** SureFire L1 ** – A short history

Best regards,

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Classics from the tail end of the heyday of great Surefires, Dan. They're not making them like those anymore. Thanks for the beamshots!

Concur with all of the above, including how my rather nice modded L2 went to the ex- (am cool with that, she needed one or two good lights and goodness knows I have enough good ones already, lol.

R4JC, a number of years I posted a 'Using the SF L1' thread; I think you might find some of its contents still of interst;
Three years of using the ** SureFire L1 ** – A short history

Best regards,

Thanks, all. Scout and Kestrel have been around for a long time and have seen lots of changes. I enjoyed Kestrel's thread from back in 2010....wow. I'll keep some quality custom triples around and they'll find use, but lately an HDS NB4 Nichia Rotary, the L1 and the LX2 have been my go to lights. Granted, the HDS isn't 'old', but HDS and Surefire can both trace their roots to reliable, moderate output lights. I just sold off around a dozen inexpensive Chinese lights - don't know why I bought them. Just the 'feel' of these quality lights tells a compelling story. It ain't all about the lumens....it's about stuff that works and that you can rely on. Surefire, HDS, Okluma, McGizmo, Cool Fall, just to name a few.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The L1-RD was one of my earliest ever "CPF-worthy" flashlights. Haven't used it in a while now ... need to go dig it out :grin2:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Surefire L1's make my head spin whenever I try and dedicate the time to learn about each different generation, when each was released, the different body styles, led changes, different colors :confused:

I guess it's one of the more storied Surefire's when it comes to different models.