Espresso machine or flashlights? $1300 to spend

You choose:

• Total voters

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow a 12L tank! One thing I noticed with my (much less expensive :) ) espresso machine is that the water will go "stale" fairly quickly (especially during the warmer summer months). Now, I put fresh water in every time I use it - which is OK because it is usually only my wife and I drinking. Just some food for thought as you "tweak" your machine.

Paul

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
20 minutes isn't so long; I'd fire it up on demand, myself, and save the energy (not just the energy bill!). Anyway, I hunted up a picture of the Portofino and it looks cool. Enjoy the machine and the learning process of finding beans you like, getting the grind right, tamping, and all the rest that goes into making a perfect shot -- it's good fun. The serious dudes insist you should buy the beans green and roast them yourself. I haven't gone that far yet, but you're obviously crazier than me...

TPA

Enlightened
Flashlights -- easy choice! The Espresso machine won't work when the power goes out.

Ledean

Enlightened
1300 on an expresso machine ?. Sounds too expensive.
1300 for flashlights ? That sounds about right.
Even if you do spend money on the expresso you will still need money for the flashlights.
What are the resale value of the coffee machines I wonder.

PS I love coffee and have been addicted to it for ages.

Frangible

Enlightened
winny said:
In three days I will receive salary for nine weeks of hard work during the summer.

Option one:
A really nice espresso machine with a coffee grinder that will provide and my friends with wonderful cappuccinos and lattes for years to come.

Option two:
A bunch of flashlights, I would suspect a SF U2 and a A2 Aviator here, along with the outcome of some of my projects that are currently put on ice due to my lack of money.

Both options lead to deeper addiction, either caffeine or flashoholism. One option absorbs light, the other emits it.
I love coffee but the cheer fun when you ask someone if they need light, and you hand them the sun itself, isn't bad either.

What to do?

Drugs or toys, huh? Buy some vivarin and flashlights and get both :D

Flashlight Enthusiast
1300 will buy you 3 SF M6s, and you'll have over 100 to spend on batteries!

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:
As the machine was painted to look like white marble, it couldn't be considered sexy. Therefore, I have been airbrushing the machine and trying out different colors for the past week now.

First I tried cappuccino brown with at fade to beige. The light brown color ended up more like cardboard-box brown than cappuccino brown as intended and the beige one was more white than beige.

Second run, matte black with red front. The black turned out real nice but what I thought would look like deep red was more like Christmas red. Furthermore, the front had some scratches and dents that showed off though the layer of paint I applied.

Third run (current), all matte black. After eight hours of grinding and several meters of sandpaper, the front was clean down to the steel. :sweat:
This time I used a different paint and bought one whole liter for $20 instead of 10 14 ml cans, with the staggering price of $130 per liter. Painting large surfaces with an airbrush takes a lot of time and with me being on the roof for best ventilation and the time ticking, it soon became night. Although I had my Groovy! with me, I opted for a 500 W halogen light due to no battery cost and perfect color rendering. :)
Now it just needs clear coating and it will be done.
This project tuned out much more expensive than I intended from the beginning. :(