Fa&Mi Lights & M6 Comparisons..... Pictures too!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Kenshiro, thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to come up a cooling system for the 2001 out of water..but a minute may be plenty of time anyway.
The 5 degree reflector makes it even better! When I hit the link for the 'catalogue' I get a page of 16 hard-to-see rectangular boxes with 3 resolution choices next to each one -- is the description of the 'solar 30 and 66' in there somewhere? Which box? I am eager to see the solars you are talking about!

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Ted the LED,
Why didn't you check them all out?
Do you have a slow connection?
Anyway, the two best pages to see are pages 3 and 5. I would also check out 6 and 9. But again, I would really check all the pages starting from page two.
Don't worry about the resolution. The smallest resolution is still good enought to see. If you have DSL or something, I would recommend the medium resolution. Don't bother with the high.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

yes, earthweaklink is getting worser and slower and worser, lately I've been getting cut off a few seconds after logging on
mad.gif
and sometimes the whole catalog page doesn't want to seem to load...well I'll close this window now and see what I can see there,
thanks..
..when do the night pics of the 2001 with the 100 watt bulb appear???
wink.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I saw it! So the 'solar' is like the 2002 'cable' but with those larger-looking HID heads...so far I'm thinking; 2002-cable with 100watt xenon/halogen bulb and 5 degree reflector!
Could attach a 'solar66' to the 2002 cable later? I think it is possible - -
(edit)-ok, I have confused the 7.2 volt 2002 with the 12 volt 2001 (go figure) in the above post, but I'll leave it as is so the following responses make sense
tongue.gif
)

JB

Enlightened
kenshiro...

Thanks for the answers. Boy, I'm *that* close to ordering the Ray. I must ask Bruno if he also carries the 35W bulb (I doubt if I can find it here in Malaysia).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It comes with the 15 degree reflector.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The specs on Scubamarket says 10°. Has there been a change? Boy, a 5° reflector would be great for long range... too bad it's not available for the Ray.
frown.gif

The price for the Ray on Bruno's site is attractive (216 euros). Also, new customers can register and take 40 euros off! One more tip: ask about VAT back for exports outside of Europe and save some more!

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Ted the Led,
What are you talking about?
I already posted the pictures with the 2001 and the 100W bulb!
I guess it's that slow connection.
If you read my reviews for the 2001 vs. the M6, it's all there.
The 50W vs. the MN20, the 50W vs. the MN21, AND the 100W vs. the MN21.
Also, I answered about the models in some detail earlier.
You will find it in this thread.
The 2002 is a 7.2V light. It is simply a RAY that you can take apart.
The solar is quite different; it is a 12V light. More like the 2000.
Again, I explained the models and their descriptions earlier.
If you read that post, it will help clarify things.

JB, You might want to check your local Osram supplier.
The part number is the 64275. However, it is not a Xenophot model, so it does not contain xenon gas. This means that the color temp. is a bit more yellowish.
Another point is, sure the 35W will be brighter, but you will lose a lot of run time. I don't know what you will use the light for, but the longer run time is almost always better. Plus, the 20W Xenophot bulb is plenty bright. I never put the 35W bulb in my RAY, and I only put the 100W bulb in my 2001 only for "comparison" purposes. I normally always keep my 50W in the 2001.
About the reflector.....
Yes, the site says 10°, but the new site says 15°. Mine said 10° also when I bought it, but it's more realistically 15°. That's why I think they updated the site to have the correct angle -- 15°.
About the 40 euros off..... you won't get it with the Fa&Mi lights. If you read the terms, the 40 euro discount does not apply to "special price" models. Which the Fa&Mi's are. But they're still a great price.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kenshiro:
Ted the Led,
What are you talking about?
I already posted the pictures with the 2001 and the 100W bulb!
I guess it's that slow connection.
If you read my reviews for the 2001 vs. the M6, it's all there.
The 50W vs. the MN20, the 50W vs. the MN21, AND the 100W vs. the MN21.
Also, I answered about the models in some detail earlier.
You will find it in this thread.
The 2002 is a 7.2V light. It is simply a RAY that you can take apart.
The solar is quite differentit is a 12V light. More like the 2000.
Again, I explained the models and their descriptions earlier.
If you read that post, it will help clarify
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
well let me try to clarify myself. I did see the 2001 with the 100watt bulb, but only in
doors, shining at a wall a few feet away -- can't tell much about it other than it's relative brightness to the MN-21 in the Surefire..I meant "...let's see a photo of it with the 5 degree reflector and 100 watt bulb shining outside reaching into the darkness..."
I did confuse the 2001 with the 2002 -- not too difficult with similar non-descriptive nomenclature of dissimilar flashlights...and it's difficult to make a quick check back to that slow-loading catalog what with my slow non-dsl dial-up modem type connection...sorry, hope this clears up any confusing questions I may have posed...
smile.gif

recercare

Enlightened
If you decide for the 2001 battery and a solar head....would it be possible to mount them together like a flashlight (like the regular 2001), or do you have to use a cable between the head and battery?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
If you decide for the 2001 battery and a solar head....would it be possible to mount them together like a flashlight (like the regular 2001), or do you have to use a cable between the head and battery?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
..that's what I'm trying to figure out. I emailed Bruno with the question, try looking at pp.4 of the catalog; http://www.fa-mi.com/catalogo/low\page4.jpg --it pictures the 2001 in one-piece configuration, but don't the tiny little pictures in the right hand column show the solar heads on cables?..does this mean they're for the 2001? When the bodies and heads are detachable, they are held together by cable or in one piece by a piece they call a 'joint' -- but I saw no mention of that for the 2001's..yet. Let me know what you find...
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

(edit) I guess what we're hoping is that the 2001 can be configured in two ways like the 2004 (which is 24volts and weighs twice as much) -- 2004; http://www.fa-mi.com/catalogo/medium\page7.jpg
(selecting 'medium resolution' takes several minutes to load here..not enough time..low res. is faster for me, but can't see as much
confused.gif
)

Kenshiro

Enlightened
recercare and Ted the Led,
Sorry to say, but the 2001 is a one-piece only unit.

To answer recercare's question first,
Yes, you MUST use it with a seperate head and battery connected by a cable.
You cannot join them together.
The only "joinable" lights are the 2002 and the 2004 (If you look at these pages, they have a small diagram that says "complete modularity").
But the 2002 is a 7.2V light, the 2004 is a 24V light.
The solar heads are only for use with 12V lights.

Ted, the tiny pictures in the right hand collumn mean that you can use the 12W HID bulb, and the 4100K HL halogen bulb.
Unfortunately for the 2001, this does NOT mean that it is modular.
It simply means that you can get the 2001 with the aformentioned bulbs installed.
Hence the 3 different models for the 2001 -- The Halogen, the HL, and the HID.
Notice that the HL head is longer than the other two.
Also notice that the Halogen and HL can use the 5°, 15°, and 110° reflector, but the HID model only has the option for the 13° and 90°.
Remember, the 12W HID only has those two reflectors available.
The 30 and 66 W HIDs however, have all three of the normal reflectors.

About your request using the 2001 100W to shoot outdoors.....
As I mentioned before, I don't have the 5° reflector. I only have the 15° and 110°.
The shots you saw on my posts were using the 15°.
I can't promise anything, but maybe I will try to do something like that and post the pics at a later date.

Hope this helps.

BTW, does anyone know where Kogatana is? He was waiting for this review as well, and still hasn't commented at anything at all.
Kogatana?
Are you out there?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the additional info Kenshiro, sorry if some of the question was redundant...now my idea is to get the 66 solar head only (with 5 degree reflector of course), and supply my own battery pack...aren't you interested in getting a 5 degree for yourself?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kenshiro:
... But the 2002 is a 7.2V light, ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange. According to http://www.scubamarket.com/eng/tofa0003.php

"FA&MI 2002 - Technical details - Power source: set of nickel metal hydride hydrogen accumulators with high efficiency: 6 elements - 12V 3,8Ah."

What can that mean ?

lightlover

D

**DONOTDELETE**

confused.gif
no wonder I got confused back there...
...it's that "non-descriptive nomenclature..."
they should rename the 2001 'the fat 12volt with a handle' and the 2002 'the slim one-piece7.2 volter without a handle'...
tongue.gif

(if that's what they are?)

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Ted, the answer to your question is YES I want the 5° reflector.
As to making your own battery pack, that's a good idea, but just remember the packs from Fa&Mi are really good, with the intelligent charger and stuff.
Also, their use of a gold plated RCA cable is a excellent idea!

Kogatana!
Finally! It's great to hear from you. I was talking to Ted Bear about you as well, seeing that you haven't posted anything for a while. He even posted something on the "Cafe" column to see how you were doing. Nice to know all is well.

*something ridiculous,
Yep, you found the strange spec that didn't make sense to me either. I researched it last year.
You know, every "element" is 1.2V. So 6 was 7.2V. The 2002 also used a 6V lamp. And such.....
Anyway, everything told me that the 2002 was a 7.2V light, but that darn spec on the web site.....
Then I looked at the specs in the other languages.
Guess what? They say 7.2V!
When I got my printed catalog with my lights, guess what? Even the english says 7.2V!
So, I got my conclusion..... Somebody drank too much when he was typing the specs in for the web site!
Maybe that's why this year they decided to simply scan the actual pages of the printed catalog and post them. If you check the 2002 catalog, they have it corrected to 7.2V.

Ted, now you're getting it!
However, if you call the 2001 "fat", what would you call the 2004?
I think I'll say "slim" for the 2002, RAY, and Spitlight.
"Medium" for the 2001, and "fat" for the 2004.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackBart:
Hi all,
Could anybody please tell me the difference between the Firefly and the Spitlight besides the name and color ?
Thanks.
Bart
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd tell you, but first tell me what a 'Firefly' is. I assume you're not referring to the toad food.
By the way last night on TV I saw a firefly fed to a toad. Then they tuned out the lights and you could see the light of the firefly blinking in the toad's stomach! Now that's one enlightened toad.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

now I'm confused again. Bruno said "go here for more 2001 info, --is it more clear now?" http://www.scubamarket.com/eng/tofa0002.php
...the text now contains this sentence: "Compatible with FA&MI Solar 12/30/66 head-lights and with 200HL-T" --what do they mean by 'compatible' - I already emailed Bruno asking if this means the head comes off -- Kenshiro?
I'll get to the bottom of this some day...
is that a diving pun?
tongue.gif

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Ted,
It's another typo.
You can even see on Bruno's site, that there are only three types of 2001:
The Halogen, the HL, and the 12W HID.
This is consistant with the catalog.

I think the typo (or misunderstanding) came from the tiny picture on the right of the catalog page.
If you look at page 4 of the new catalog, it has the "compatible with HID" mark, and the "compatible with 2000HL-T" mark as well.
Then, if you check out page 2 of the catalog (the Legend page), #13 and #14 describe each of those marks.
#13 says "compatibilty of the head-lights SOLAR 12/30/66 (6000K - 5500K)"
#14 says "compatibilty of the head-lights 2000HL-T 60W efficiency 90W (4100K)"
The person typing it into the web site probably typed it in without giving it too much thought.
He even typed "200HL-T", instead of "2000HL-T", which it should have been.
Anyway, let me assure again, that the 2001 is NOT modular.
This makes it impossible for it to use the Solar 30 and 66 head lamps.
It can use the Solar 12, because of the small size of the bulb.

So don't be confused Ted.
I think you understand Fa&Mi models and their names pretty well by now.
I know sometimes it can be confusing, and you would probably name the models in a different way, but that's just how it is.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks Kenshiro. now I see why Italians yell at each other so much
wink.gif
btw guess what the Solar66 head costs?-- Solar 66 HID (66W - efficency 260W) 5600 °K, with 5° reflector is Euro 1239 + 50 Euro for shipping.
shocked.gif
frown.gif

...so looks like I'm back to the 2001 with the HL60W bulb, for $248.31+110 euro(about $100?) extra for the HL60W option,--so $398.31 with the shipping.
Do I understand that although each bulb/lamp is 18 euro, each bulb requires it's own unique housing, which is why the HL60W is 110 euro more than the 50 watt 2001 --? Or would the 50watt bulb fit the 60watt bulb housing??