Fake Ultrafire 18650 battery warning

HKJ

Flashaholic
Also if anyone could enlighten me as to how to check mAh on the multimeter it'd be great

The setup is easy, but requires some dedicated work.

Place a 1 ohm 20 watt resistor across the battery, then measure the voltage each 5 minutes (More often gives better precision) and put the time and voltage into a spreadsheet. This will take a about 1 hour for a 3100mAh battery.

When finished you can add columns for time (in hours) between measurements and current.

The you multiply time and current and sum it together.

A hobby charger will do all that automatic and only cost $25 for the cheap models.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trevtrain

Enlightened

We've probably lost them for a while due to the current shipping restrictions. But seriously if you're going to buy ****fire batteries what do you expect? Sorry guys but there is little to justify propping up the ****fire sellers in the face of so much evidence of their rubbish cells.

We all know that the capacity claims on these cells are overinflated cr*p - I'm just glad that they are honest enough to publish their testing results.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
their testing is not limited to batteries alone. I first found out when i was looking into powerbanks.
Where there is pracical no data
They even publish driver performance too.

chris_786

Newly Enlightened
I received these, I presume they are fake?
IMAG0256_zps9xozefr5.jpg

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread must be a sticky, everybody should know this to prevent the new batteries users buy this kind of batteries...

Avoid all the XXXXfire and rare brands, GTL, etc

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

Last edited:

weegidy

Newly Enlightened
Is UltraFire a real brand?

I have seen so many batteries and flashlights labeled "UltraFire" on eBay and amazon that I cant help but wonder if it is really even a brand, or just a label that lots of "counterfeiters" like to use. I have probably seen a dozen different types of shrink wrap that all say "UltraFire" on 18650 cells, alone... boasting anywhere from 3000mAh to 5000mAh.
Are these cells all packed in the same place, or is it just a common type of shrink wrap that lots of people like to put on their "own" batteries before selling them?
I guess another option is that UltraFire is a real brand, but there's lots of counterfeit UltraFire cells on the market...

Last edited by a moderator:

chris_786

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys after my fake "willblowupforsurefire" batteries I'm looking for genuine batteries and struggling to find reputable sites to buy off...

Looking for 18650's, running two together in an extension tube so guess i need protected cells.

I've found these but any other recommendations?
http://www.batterystation.co.uk/Xtar...Battery-2-Pack

Not limiting myself to UK sites as long as the postage is reasonable...

weegidy

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys after my fake "willblowupforsurefire" batteries I'm looking for genuine batteries and struggling to find reputable sites to buy off...

Looking for 18650's, running two together in an extension tube so guess i need protected cells.

I've found these but any other recommendations?
http://www.batterystation.co.uk/Xtar...Battery-2-Pack

Not limiting myself to UK sites as long as the postage is reasonable...

There's one eBay seller who sells legit Panasonic cells that are protected 3400mAh... 2cells/$20. I would only buy Panasonic cells from America, I don't trust them coming from China.
I don't know if I can post links to eBay... but if you search for "2 PANASONIC NCR18650B LI-ION BATTERY 3400mAh 3.7v 18650 NEW PROTECTION PCB JAPAN" you will find them. They would be shipping from American, so you will have to check with the seller to see if he's ok sending them overseas.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Back on topic guys "Fake Ultrafire 18650 battery warning" - Norm

chris_786 your post has been copied and moved into the relevant thread.

Last edited:

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
I thought they were all fake.. don' t they come from here..

Repackaged.jpg
Wow. I think this should have more attention. This is reason enough not to buy UltraFire cells.

Nothing much to be learned from this photo. Looks like a typical metals sorting/salvage operation to me. (Perhaps neater and better organized than most.)

The green sign reads "Useless Old Nickel Cadmium Batteries - Holding Area"

Last edited:

mojo-chan

Newly Enlightened
The problem is that people get them, try them once and then write a raving review of how wondering they are. A few weeks later they don't feel like updating their review using their remaining 7 fingers.

Latest posts