Favorite bright UV light?

lite brite

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any experience/reviews of the Streamlight Twin-Task 3C UV LED (375 NM) ?

I have the Streamlight, and I think it works well, I don't have anything to compare it to though lol, but it helped me find out where the nasty little mice were getting into my basement from before I refinished it!
Steve

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
I use the Streamlight TwinTask for this purpose (375 & 390 nM wavelengths, either 375 alone or together). I have found lots of bad-dog spots in my house with this light :hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull: Also has a white xenon beam.

See here. You want the black-bodied one, not the titanium-bodied one. And yes, the 375 seems to work better for finding those spots. Never used a 365 so I can't say about that.
Do you know how bright it is?

LEDite

Enlightened
Flash Crazy;

I have built over a hundred UV lights for pet urine detection.

I have found that the higher power of the Cree 3W 395nm does a better job than 1+ watt of 375nm.

If they are Chinese, I would not believe the "nm" specs.

Larry

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bolster and LEDite... thanks for the info! It's good to hear that the higher wavelengths will work if they're high powered.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Flash Crazy;

I have built over a hundred UV lights for pet urine detection.

I have found that the higher power of the Cree 3W 395nm does a better job than 1 watt of 375nm.

Larry

That's really good info.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of lights are you building your UV projects into?

Patriot

Flashaholic
This is mine.... Three 3 Watt Crees...
mx1.jpg

Larry

This thing has got to be very impressive during actual use. Is this one of your projects?

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened

Alero

Enlightened
Be careful with them. I looked into the reflector of a single 5mm UV emitter last year and though I'd done permenant damage to my eyes. I saw a huge yellow spot in one eye for almost 2 days. Scary stuff!

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
What would be the best UV wave length for finding blood tracks
like from traffic/hunting wounded animals ??

and how easy is it really to see the blood under UV light ??

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
What would be the best UV wave length for finding blood tracks
like from traffic/hunting wounded animals ??

and how easy is it really to see the blood under UV light ??

Blood by itself has no fluorescent particles in it, so it will look black under UV light. You're probably thinking of blood st ains that have been sprayed with Luminol, a common forensic procedure used for finding faint bloodstains. Luminol is sprayed around a crime scene and it reveals the blood under UV excitation. It's a very dramatic process and is often shown on TV crime shows. Unfortunately it's usually depicted poorly and leads everyone into thinking that blood fluoresces by itself.

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
LED Wholesalers has a lot of UV LED lights. Just type in UV in the seach box and you'll see all kinds of them for sale. They have a 9 LED UV light for less than $15 delivered to most places in the US that has a wavelength from 362 to 397 nanometers (peaks at 385 nm). The wide range should be useful for making more things fluoresce than a light whose LED's are 400+nm. Here's their store link...

http://stores.ebay.com/LEDwholesalers-Inc

I have some cheapie 12 LED UV lights that I bought from the following eBay store. I bought 6 of them for ~$20 delivered and they definitely fluoresce the cat pee-pee in my son's room and other things as well. One of my son's girlfriends was over a few nights ago and she just had her feet done the night before for their winter formal. I was goofing with the UV light at night while she was walking through our kitchen and her toe nails fluoresced really bright. Everybody including her was staring at her feet until the silence broke and then we couldn't stop laughing. As I said, these are really cheapo lights and there's plenty of purple coming from them, but they do the job good enough for me and they're cheap enough to pass out for fun.

http://stores.ebay.com/SCALEDISCOUNTERS-LLC

I'm putting together a more serious UV light, but I haven't had the time to get anywhere with it. It's based on one of the 128 LED heads that LED Wholesales sells and I'm planning to drive it with lithiums once I build the tube. My brother-in-law likes looking for scorpions where he lives in NV and needed something with a larger and more powerful beam than what he was using, so hopefully this works out for him if I ever finish it.

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
Blood by itself has no fluorescent particles in it, so it will look black under UV light. You're probably thinking of blood st ains that have been sprayed with Luminol, a common forensic procedure used for finding faint bloodstains. Luminol is sprayed around a crime scene and it reveals the blood under UV excitation. It's a very dramatic process and is often shown on TV crime shows. Unfortunately it's usually depicted poorly and leads everyone into thinking that blood fluoresces by itself.

Damn ,,thats what i thought
:shrug::sigh: would have been to easy

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
LED Wholesalers has a lot of UV LED lights. Just type in UV in the seach box and you'll see all kinds of them for sale. They have a 9 LED UV light for less than $15 delivered to most places in the US that has a wavelength from 362 to 397 nanometers (peaks at 385 nm). The wide range should be useful for making more things fluoresce than a light whose LED's are 400+nm. Here's their store link...

http://stores.ebay.com/LEDwholesalers-Inc

I have some cheapie 12 LED UV lights that I bought from the following eBay store. I bought 6 of them for ~$20 delivered and they definitely fluoresce the cat pee-pee in my son's room and other things as well. One of my son's girlfriends was over a few nights ago and she just had her feet done the night before for their winter formal. I was goofing with the UV light at night while she was walking through our kitchen and her toe nails fluoresced really bright. Everybody including her was staring at her feet until the silence broke and then we couldn't stop laughing. As I said, these are really cheapo lights and there's plenty of purple coming from them, but they do the job good enough for me and they're cheap enough to pass out for fun.

http://stores.ebay.com/SCALEDISCOUNTERS-LLC

I'm putting together a more serious UV light, but I haven't had the time to get anywhere with it. It's based on one of the 128 LED heads that LED Wholesales sells and I'm planning to drive it with lithiums once I build the tube. My brother-in-law likes looking for scorpions where he lives in NV and needed something with a larger and more powerful beam than what he was using, so hopefully this works out for him if I ever finish it.
Great post. I am looking forward to a 120 lumen UV. I hope to find various wavelength LEDs.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
i'm just wonderin...are there any UV cree/ssc yet? or is the brightest still the 5mm 1s?

Can someone post a picture of the aleph and the UV cree? Not even a beamshot, but what the actual light looks like. I'm totally unfamiliar with UV lights, but I want to acquire one that is nice the first time.

Thanks,
RC

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Can someone post a picture of the aleph and the UV cree? Not even a beamshot, but what the actual light looks like. I'm totally unfamiliar with UV lights, but I want to acquire one that is nice the first time.

Thanks,
RC

Funny thing about UV is pictures really don't look anything like what it looks like in real life. Or do you mean the physical flashlight itself?

I personally like my Terralux UV dropin, it's not scary strong, but it works fine.