• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler for metal boot retaining ring for Macs tri-edc

gonefishing

Enlightened
I think that will be ok with my brass knurly and brass EDC-XML ;)

I'm sure it won't look too bad with my Ti P60 host either.

When are these going to be available?

I was hoping they would be done already, but the shop is not ready to start building them. And unfortunately I'm at their mercy for production, so I don't have a good timeline anymore.

These will happen, it's just taking much longer than anticipated!

easilyled

Flashaholic
I was hoping they would be done already, but the shop is not ready to start building them. And unfortunately I'm at their mercy for production, so I don't have a good timeline anymore.

These will happen, it's just taking much longer than anticipated!

Well, as the saying goes, "good things are worth waiting for".

hawkmoon69

Newly Enlightened
put me down for one as well.

Once question, I know certain metals attack each other if touching...no issues with brass/titanium?

hawkmoon69

Newly Enlightened
done my own research. the term, as I now recall from ninth grade, is galvanic corrosion. Wikipedia says you've got to see how dissimilar the anodic index of each metal is -- the wider, the more the corrosion. titanium is -.3, brass is -.4. which tells me nothing, really, except that copper is -.35 and I know that that is commonly used as a heat sink in titanium lights with no problem...

IsaacL

Enlightened
done my own research. the term, as I now recall from ninth grade, is galvanic corrosion. Wikipedia says you've got to see how dissimilar the anodic index of each metal is -- the wider, the more the corrosion. titanium is -.3, brass is -.4. which tells me nothing, really, except that copper is -.35 and I know that that is commonly used as a heat sink in titanium lights with no problem...

Brass is .35 to .45 depending on grade... For harsh environments the recommended difference is .15V on the Anodic Index so this is a non-issue. Great question and I hadn't checked the numbers until you asked. I needed to know copper/titanium for another project anyway so thanks for bringing this up. The knowledge of CPF members never ceases to amaze me!

We both had a similar idea but this has been Nick's project since the beginning. I'm not prepared to financially back a production run but I've done what I can to help get this off the ground. I really appreciate the work he has put into this. Machine shop delays of small orders is a fairly regular occurrence. They have to prioritize to stay in business.

@Gonefishing
While there are a number of benefits to working with Kara's Kustoms, have you considered other shops who specialize in small batch production and may be able to fabricate the product in titanium? You might just be able to bring unit price down even with the material "upgrade". If you need anything else don't hesitate to contact me.

Last edited:

gonefishing

Enlightened
Brass is .35 to .45 depending on grade... For harsh environments the recommended difference is .15V on the Anodic Index so this is a non-issue. Great question and I hadn't checked the numbers until you asked. I needed to know copper/titanium for another project anyway so thanks for bringing this up. The knowledge of CPF members never ceases to amaze me!

We both had a similar idea but this has been Nick's project since the beginning. I'm not prepared to financially back a production run but I've done what I can to help get this off the ground. I really appreciate the work he has put into this. Machine shop delays of small orders is a fairly regular occurrence. They have to prioritize to stay in business.

@Gonefishing
While there are a number of benefits to working with Kara's Kustoms, have you considered other shops who specialize in small batch production and may be able to fabricate the product in titanium? You might just be able to bring unit price down even with the material "upgrade". If you need anything else don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for all of your help on this. I think it might be time to look at other machine shops. Kara's Kustoms is local and I like being able to have a shop close by.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thank you for all of your help on this. I think it might be time to look at other machine shops. Kara's Kustoms is local and I like being able to have a shop close by.

We appreciate the trouble that you are taking in order to carry this out. Its easy for the rest of us to become impatient, but we're not the ones dealing with the machine shops and carrying the can should anything go wrong.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an order for some retaining rings for Mac's Tri EDC and while I was doing that job, I was able to make a few extra. These are Titanium retaining rings, 11/16" x 20 TPI and fit my Tri EDC just fine. The height of the rings is 2.90mm about the same as the plastic retaining ring that came as original equipment. I also have one that is 4.90mm tall and would come almost to the top of the rubber boot. E-mail or PM if you are interested in one of these.

IMG_7877_zpsq0fensl9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: