Fenix disapointment

err0r

Newly Enlightened
I recently ordered a L2T v2.0 (rebel 80) and P3D premium (rebel 100) from torchworld.com.au, which appears to be the (or one of two) official Fenix dealer in Australia. Neither light has any flickering problems, in use or upon changing modes. In my samples the L2T has a slight (nasty) green tint and the emitter is not perfectly centred, whilst the P3D has a creamy (ie, very slightly warm white) tint and is centred exactly. The actual tints are not noticible in isolation, only when compared with each other on a white wall - in reality all the tints are neutral to the eye in use.

The following image compares the hotspots of the two lights along with an Elektro Lumens Alumibronze Lucidux-XR2 (Cree XRE, bin P4, Cree optics, ~500mA). Top to bottom is Lucidus-XR2, Fenix L2T v2.0, Fenix P3D premium. Left to right is 1/40, 1/8, 1s.

6-Combined.jpg

All lights on maximum and on fresh lithium (1.5V Energizer Lithium AAs and Titanium CR123s) batteries.

FOOTNOTE: I don't personally see the point of the P2D, considering that the head and tailswitch contribute over half of the length of a P3D. If one wanted a single cell CR123 light there are plenty of smaller options out there. P1D from Fenix if one doesn't mind twisty operation, 100 different Arc-LS clones if one needs tailcap clickies.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Looks like we're right back to the Luxeon lottery again! With Cree lights I have noticed very little tint variation in between LEDs, but it sounds like the Rebels bring along Lumiled's well-known tint inconsistencies.

chakrawal

Enlightened
Your disappointment is nothing compared to mine. I pre-ordered 2 fenix P3D rebel100 and 2 P2D rebel100 last August 11. They told me that they shipped the orders on August 20. Since I was too excited to get the lights, I even paid extra for a priority mail international instead of relying on the free international shipping. To this date, I still havent received my orders. USPS tracking indicates that it has received the electronic notification from fenix-store that a package is to be shipped but not the goods. I emailed Gary and David but they always manage to reply late. They insist that the lights have been sent when clearly it wasn't. I am so mad to the point that I completely lost interest of the lights. I have been asking for a refund but they still haven't done it.
I think you package might be lost. I got my about 10days from David with a free shipping. Also usually first class mail international only take less than 10 days from USA to Thailand, sometime only took 5days.

sizzling7s

Newly Enlightened
I'm right there with you!

I recently purchased an L0D Rebel 80 from Fenix-Store to replace my original L0D. I was VERY disappointed with the Rebel. The Rebel was the same brightness (to my eyes) as the original L0D. A surprise considering one is rated at 30 lumens and one at 60 lumens. They both used the same fresh batteries. A friend of mine has an L0D Cree, and it blows away my Rebel.

Sadly, it sits in it's package waiting to be returned. I've attempted to contact Fenix about a return, but I haven't heard back yet. This is my fourth Fenix from David within the last year...and my first real disappointment.

It appears they have a pretty good return policy, "Returns are allowed within 30 days of receipt." I just need to hear back from them and get a return authorization.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like we're right back to the Luxeon lottery again! With Cree lights I have noticed very little tint variation in between LEDs, but it sounds like the Rebels bring along Lumiled's well-known tint inconsistencies.

Aw man... :sick2: Say it ain't so. Hope it's not Fenix (the manufacturer) just buying every and any working Rebel to save money... :thumbsdow

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I'll be returning my P2D as well iStormy. The bright flash when turning on and switching mode to mode just is too annoying. The more I try the light the more it bugs me. I could live with tint variations. I hope there won't be a problem returning it to the Fenix Store. I am hoping the concerns I have read in this thread are only due to the move that they just made. I bought from them because they have a good rep on CPF and they posts I've read from David, he seems like a pretty good guy. I'll let you know.

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I have the L2D Rebel 100, so this may not apply to the PxDs. My L2D only flashes in normal mode when turning on. It does not flash when going from mode to mode while on.

My P3D-R100 is the exact opposite, while scrolling through the modes I get the flashing. If I turn the light off and let it reset....No flashes.

?????

tlmzdac

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix P2D Rebel 100 came in the mail today. It seems to operate with just one output level that will flash if I lightly press the tail switch.

I gather this is what can happen with freshly charged rechargable batteries, but mine's doing it with two different bands of non-rechargables.

Anybody heard of this before? (Apologies in advance if I missed the answer. "Search" is being unhelpful today.)

Dave

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I'm returning my two P2D R100's. On the natural one the anodizing is mismatched from head to body, and the LED tint is greenish. The other one has a good tint, slightly lavender.

But both have the blinding flash when you turn them on low/medium, and that's why I'm returning them. A $60 flashlight shouldn't do that.

:mecry: :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

It's a non issue.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. One question for those people who have tint and flashing issues with the Rebels - are you all using RCR123's in there? I've been reading a lot of posts where the 'wrong' type of rechargables, or 3.6-3.7v rechargeable 123's, cause flashing and other issues with the Rebel 100 lights. For tint, I can only say that it's got great tint... and most of the reviews I've been reading also indicate this is the case, along with the beamshots.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading a lot of posts where the 'wrong' type of rechargables, or 3.6-3.7v rechargeable 123's, cause flashing and other issues with the Rebel 100 lights.

I get the Low mode turn on flash with a single duracell AA alkaline on my L1Tv2rb80. Does it with a LSD RayOVac Hybrid Nimh too.

L2D100 does the same with 2xAA same brands.

edit: I was playing with the L2D100 and did notice the flash switching between Low Medium High SOS. The worst is the initial turn on in Low mode. The others aren't so bad because of the relative light levels.

Last edited:

makincheez

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a P2D rb100 and it too flashes when turning it on but only with the head turned out about 1/2 turn. I haven't seen any flashing when switching modes. I pretty much stick to turbo mode 80% of the time or more so it hasn't been a problem for me. But oh, that turbo mode.........gotta love it!

FIFO

Newly Enlightened
It seems that not only me that has the tint issue. My new L1T v2.0 also gives a noticeable green beam. I have sent it back and now waiting for a replacement. Just hope that it won't take forever...

Dr.Glock27

Newly Enlightened
With everything I have ordered from Fenix-Store, the USPS tracking site says "Electronic shipping info received" until the day it arrives and is scanned at my local post office days later.

The USPS tracking is notoriously bad, and that message does not indicate that the package was not sent.

:shrug:

How many days did it take before it arrived? And why is it that I never experienced this with PTS? The fact remains that when I asked fenix-store about it, they failed to reply. The second they knew that I wanted to cancel the orders, they replied to my e-mail 5 days later. Ive asked them to try to reconcile this issue with USPS and they still havent replied to me for over a week now.:thumbsdow

Problem solved: The lights arrived and there was a fast response regarding my concern. Case Closed. By the way, Bravo 4sevens...;)

Last edited: