Fenix E05, small single level AAA light with build in diffuser

bodhran

Enlightened
Nice review Sir. We have a local store that sells the full line of Fenix lights, so just got back from picking one of these up. For this type of light, the single mode is fine for me.

yowzer

Enlightened
What kind of LED does it have? The dealers I usually buy from that sell Fenix say it's XP-E in their ad copy, but the pictures (And packaging) in this review look like an XP-G...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like this light. I always thought the E01 was the perfect chuck-it-around and use it till it dies light. This one does all that at a similar price, but with more light.

Crenshaw

robostudent5000

Enlightened
What kind of LED does it have? The dealers I usually buy from that sell Fenix say it's XP-E in their ad copy, but the pictures (And packaging) in this review look like an XP-G...

2 versions are available. xp-e r2 and xp-g r4. xp-g versions are less common.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a R4, you can still find them on Amazon as of today when I checked.

Mine was fulfilled by Ace Camera and was truly a XP-G R4 in sealed packaging.

Richub

Enlightened
This review actually made me order an E05. The small size, simple 1-mode interface and the lack of a hotspot did it for me.

Looking forward to get it. :)

Besides that, I seem to have lost my LD01 lately... Hopefully it will show up somewhere though.

Edit:
Found my LD01 again, in one of my winter shoes... I guess it dropped out of my pocket without notice, and it ended up in my left shoe.
I found it putting the shoe on: WTF is that thing in the nose of my shoe? :)

Edit 2, Monday 06-20:
Picked up my E05 today, it's the XP-E R2 version, which doesn't matter to me really.

I like it a LOT. :)
It has a nice white beam without hotspot that will be perfect for those close up tasks you need a light for.
The lack of a hotspot makes the beam easier on the eyes than the LD01s beam on medium. The tint is a slight bit warmer as the LD01.
It's perfect for indoor use, or outdoors up to say 5 meters or so.

Last edited:

Vince_88

Newly Enlightened
Great review man!!!

I have the E01 and loved it so much I even bought one for my Dad, Mom and Sister!! They all love the little bugger as well! I keep mine clipped to my key ring which is always attached to whatever pair of pants I'm wearing at the moment. I saw the E05 a week or so ago and decided to order one on Friday. Can't wait to see how it functions! :D

iron potato

Enlightened
Detailed & so much info, great review.

Soooooo tempted to get one of these on my keychain now :naughty:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I just found this lovely little light availible in purple and blue also.
Perfect gifts!

radu1976

Enlightened
The E05 is clearly more efficient than a STR. MICROSTREAM of 20 lumens .
The MICRO puts less lumens and the runtime is also shorter with Ni-MH ! Obviously the XP-G R4 is much more efficient than the SSC P9 used in MICROSTREAM , the FENIX also wins as build construction and compact size , however MICRO takes the advantage when it's about throw and 'tactical format' :)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam on this light reminds me of that of my old Inova X5...in a much smaller package. I have this light and love it. Thanks for the review.

DaveG

Enlightened
Where did you guys find the color version? I have a black one, if I get another diffrent color choice would be nice.

Batang Regla

Newly Enlightened
I have an itp a3 r5. Is the eo5 more floodier for car use and looking for drop things on the ground outside the car?

Xacto

Enlightened
I have an itp a3 r5. Is the eo5 more floodier for car use and looking for drop things on the ground outside the car?
I would say yes. I too have an iTP A3. Although the three modes are nice, I never really use it. My Fenix E05 on the other hand gets pretty much use around the house and I intend to get a second one (for the collection) so I can EDC my first one. Only when I need even less light, I grab my Fenix E01.

Cheers
Thorsten

HKJ

Flashaholic

The E05 has much more flood, but because the high setting on A3 is brighter, the actual lighted area is not that different. With the A3 you have a bright hotspoot and spill around it, the E05 does not have the bright hotspot.

Batang Regla

Newly Enlightened
^
That's what i want to use in my car. A light that is floody and not too bright or no hotspot at all.

Too bright of a hotspot usually will ceiling bounce.

TK41

Newly Enlightened
Are Lithium (non-rechargeable) batteries safe to use with this little light? I thought lithium batteries over-work most LED lights to the point of burning them out. I can't find the documentation on the E05 R2 online, but I know the Fenix tk41 manual says lithium non rechargeables are "Acceptable." Can somebody with the E05 manual confirm anything please? thanks!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Are Lithium (non-rechargeable) batteries safe to use with this little light? I thought lithium batteries over-work most LED lights to the point of burning them out. I can't find the documentation on the E05 R2 online, but I know the Fenix tk41 manual says lithium non rechargeables are "Acceptable." Can somebody with the E05 manual confirm anything please? thanks!

1.5 volt (1.7 volt) lithium are safe to use with this light. The brightness is the same with lithium as with alkaline and NiMH batteries.