Fenix L0D CE runtimes

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
aceo07 said:
Did you cool it during the 10440 runtime?
I cooled the heck out of it with a large fan from just a few inches away. On high I still measured a peak of 102F with an IR thermometer. That's really quite warm. With the same cooling a lot of other lights don't even get above 85F.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer said:
Holy crap! Over 150 lumens out of a keychain light!!!!! That must completely amaze any and everyone you show it to.

Has it been proven to be safe to run this light with the 10440 cell?

I seriously wouldn't run it on high for more than a minute or two just to "wow" someone. Medium is a bit brighter with the 10440 than High is with a Ni-MH. That's plenty of light for most uses.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I to understand Fenix is actualy accurate with thier lumen est. with this light? Or even understating?

ruralott

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for the new graph. You rock :rock:

Max lumen of 156.43 lumens only last for seconds, but impressive nonetheless. Now I think LOCE can be used with 10440 if owners want high as the default (primary). I am still waiting to see what LF2 can do before I jump in. But it's really difficult to hold back :laughing:

Thanks again.

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
Awesome charts for the L0D, thanks. How are the L1D charts coming along?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
TenPin said:
Awesome charts for the L0D, thanks. How are the L1D charts coming along?

They're coming, though fairly slowly. My Duracell 2650mAh Ni-MH cells seem to be getting worn out though so I may have to buy some more :(

I'm also waiting on some lithium cells to be shipped to me to completely finish it. The L1D CE is mostly done except for a couple Ni-MH tests and a couple lithium tests.

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
Sweet! Thanks for your hard work. It really makes a difference for people choosing which light to buy.

Argon

Newly Enlightened
Great work with the graphs.

Hows the L2D-CE runtimes coming? Don't mean to be pushy just i'm intrested to see how they turn out.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks chev! I've been waiting for the 10440's!

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote Chevrofreak in post #1:
Here are the runtimes on the 10440 Li-Ion as promised.

Comparing the Li-ion curves against the alkaline curves it is clear that during these tests the Li-ion cells were discharged well below the generally recommended minimum of 2.5V, especially on the medium and low tests. I am curious if the same cell was used for all three tests or three different cells. Either way, I'm curious if these cells were tested for and/or showed later degradation.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S said:
Quote Chevrofreak in post #1:
Here are the runtimes on the 10440 Li-Ion as promised.

Comparing the Li-ion curves against the alkaline curves it is clear that during these tests the Li-ion cells were discharged well below the generally recommended minimum of 2.5V, especially on the medium and low tests. I am curious if the same cell was used for all three tests or three different cells. Either way, I'm curious if these cells were tested for and/or showed later degradation.

I didn't use the same cell for all tests, I alternated them. The test on Low did run a bit too long and the cell hit about 2v before I noticed. I'll test them against each other in another light to see if it may have damaged it.

I'm pretty sure that on medium it terminated at about 3.2v

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. My simple minded way of looking at this is that the Li-ion tested on medium was terminated at around 260 of your light output units. This happens to be the same value at which your Ni-Mh medium test started so I assumed that the loaded value of the Li-ion would have been down around that of a fully charged loaded Ni-Mh or around 1.3V. Similarly, the Li-ion tested on low was terminated at around 25 light units and the Ni-Mh test on low started at around 115 units so I thus concluded that the loaded voltage of the Li-ion at the end was much below that of a charged Ni-Mh.
I am sure that lots of folks appreciate you testing these Li-ion cells in these lights as I have noted the trend towards some folks using unprotected Li-ion cells in lights that are capable of overdischarging them. Unfortunately there are a couple of East Asian light manufacturers that actually condone, if not outright encourage, this. Fortunately for them they are likely beyond the reach of US tort lawyers. This whole business of using unprotected Li-ion cells in lights that are capable of overdischarging them has me on the verge of a foaming at the mouth tirade. I was hoping that at least you might be able to demonstrate that it is bad for their cells. That might actually be a deterrent for them. The prospect of simply burning down their apartment building and taking all the innocent victims with them seems insufficient.

chevrofreak said:
I didn't use the same cell for all tests, I alternated them. The test on Low did run a bit too long and the cell hit about 2v before I noticed. I'll test them against each other in another light to see if it may have damaged it.

I'm pretty sure that on medium it terminated at about 3.2v

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Has anyone done output on the Q4 models? I'm mainly curious about low, but in general it'd be interesting to see the Q4 output on all modes.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Good question . . . .

Was thinking the same thing about my Q2 model.

:candle:
_

HighLight

Enlightened
I know these tests were done a while ago but what emitter was in the L0D CE for these run graphs?

Also how would a Q4 be expected to stack up with whatever was used for the above tests?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I know these tests were done a while ago but what emitter was in the L0D CE for these run graphs?

Also how would a Q4 be expected to stack up with whatever was used for the above tests?

The older LOD CE uses a Cree P4. The newer Q4 should have the same shape, but be proportionally brighter in all modes and battery configurations.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Would the runtime the same between the LOD-CE P4 and Q4?

I should be very close, but of course, the Q4 is producing more light.

It's much brighter than the P4. Just like Marduke stated, it's the same shape beam too but with a nicer color.

Latest posts