Fenix L0D

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
skip the Avenger, get the L0D CE Q4 then get the Streamlight Microstream for about $15 and combine the end cap switch with the Fenix for the Ultimate AAA or 10440 light!:thumbsup:
+1 This has to be the best AAA light available. Too bad it takes two lights to construct it though. I actually put together three of these. Two of the single AAA body type and one with 2 AAA's. Having a bright multi-mode AAA clicky with momentary is nice!

tophery

Newly Enlightened
I would wait i allready have the lod rebel its pretty dam good but i know from an inside source that the LOD IS getting the R2 in about 2 months 120 lumens thats the one im getting!:thumbsup:

Hmm. i guess i can wait for an L0D R2 with 45 more lumens. I just hope that if i wait, the due date wont be postponed or anything. Thanks for all the info guys. And, I will probably just use the eneloops once i get the L0D since most of you guys suggest that its safer and is still produces a great amount of light.:grin2:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hmm. i guess i can wait for an L0D R2 with 45 more lumens. I just hope that if i wait, the due date wont be postponed or anything. Thanks for all the info guys. And, I will probably just use the eneloops once i get the L0D since most of you guys suggest that its safer and is still produces a great amount of light.:grin2:

I don't know if I would believe the rumors. Even if they did upgrade to an R2, it would only be a jump of about 12 more lumens to about 87ish, not 120. Such a small jump is almost imperceptible to the human eye. Even side by side you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

EV_007

Enlightened
The LOD series of lights are my favorite in the AAA category. You get a really nice wide floody beam.

The amount of useful light that comes out of the little tube is amazing. The Rebel version is my favorite.

With a 10440 it really shines, but as mentioned above, care must be taken.

I just a beamshot of it along with other lights in my beamshot gallery.

Illum

Flashaholic
I've tried L0D-CE Q4 with 10440 for only around 10 seconds....personally I wouldn't justify the risk for purely experimental reasons.

I use L92 lithium AAA from energizer in mine. Since it isn't my primary light...its useful as a backup:grin2:

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
I've tried L0D-CE Q4 with 10440 for only around 10 seconds....personally I wouldn't justify the risk for purely experimental reasons.

I use L92 lithium AAA from energizer in mine. Since it isn't my primary light...its useful as a backup:grin2:

Great point. This light, on any battery at all, puts out an amazing ammount of light. No need to risk safety / product "death" for the excitement of more light. It seems too small to handle the heat from overpowering it, anyway. (At least for any significant length of time.) As others have said, if you need "extreme" brightness, other lights are made to use 10440's. I don't own any of them, but I doubt that if they are as small as the Fenix, they are able to handle the heat either. This is a great light right out of the box!

Luminescent

Enlightened
+1 Another vote for the L0D :twothumbs

I own about 2 dozen high quality lights, but the L0D is one of my abslolute favorites. It's a nice simple, practical, light that has a great combination of raw performance and features without becoming overly complicated like some of the LF series lights.

The L0D is like that reliable car you take for nice drives in the country, and which always get's you there. Some of the other options mentioned, are more like one of those twitchy sportscars that you spend 3 hours working on for every hour you spend driving it. In the first case, you don't think much about the car, you just enjoy the scenery. In the second case you really gain an appreciation for all the mechanical details while you spend hours tinkering. The L0D works so well, it just seems to disapear most of the time, and all you notice is that you are NOT haveing problems seeing whatever it is you are looking at. Some folks want that fancy light they can tinker with. Me - I just want one that works so well I don't even notice that it's there.

Recently, I needed a work light to do some involved rewireing work in a dark attic space, and after considering several other lights in my collection, the light I chose was the L0D.

This little featherweight light weighs almost nothing, and throws a nice bright even floody beam that is perfectly suited to filling the full area of interest for close up work. Even on a single standard NiMH rechargable battery, there is plenty of light for close up work, even in the default MEDIUM power mode, and in this mode the little L0D will provide bright perfectly regulated light FOR HOURS AND HOURS.

I attached the little L0D to one side of the eyeglass frame of my work glasses with a rubberband. You can also use the supplied pocket clip 'wrong-way-round' (at the head of the light), to clip the L0D to the brim of a baseball cap. I loosened the grip of my pocket clip a little by spreading it a little, then wrapped it with a layer of super tough kapton tape so it can be quickly put on and off the L0D without scratching. Either the baseball cap or eyeglass frame trick works incredibly well as a quick dirty headlamp replacement (in fact, works BETTER than most purpose-built headlamps).

After working in the attic for a couple hours, I came back down and was walking around for about 15 minutes before a friend pointed out that I had not turned off my light. I had gotten so used to that clean white circle of light that followed whatever I was looking at, that I didn't even notice it.

It was only after my friend mentioned it, that I turned off the L0D, and paused to consider that, in a pitch black attic, I had had so little trouble seeing anything that I needed to look at, that I had completely forgotten that I was even useing a light at all.

That's what I meant when I said that the L0D does it's job so well that it just seems to disapear. If you want to tinker, and appreciate the latest technology, there's no doubt that the LF series lights are really cool gizmos. On the other hand, if you want something that just works so well that you don't have to even think about it at all, then go with the L0D.

I also agree with those who have stated that the L0D-Q4 is more than bright enough with standard NiMH cells or L92 lithium cells, so there is really no reason to risk messing around with 10440's.

In fact, for the first time in recent memory, I have noticed that the majority of users posting in this L0D thread are NOT on the 10440 bandwagon.

I think the reason for this is two fold; first the recent crop of L0D's using Rebel and Q4's, tend to have lower Vf emitters which can have more problems with 10440's; and second; the Q4 version L0D is one hell of a bright little light even with a standard NiMH cell. For a little extra brightness (and an unbelivably lightweight package) you can also try the L92 lithiums from energizer.

The L92 lithium cells are legal in the L0D because they use a Lithium/Iron Disulfide (Li/FeS2) chemistry that keeps the voltage within the specified range for the L0D.

10440's are indeed very bright, but in EVERY OTHER WAY, they are a NIGHTMARE in the L0D (flaky operation, shorter run times, high heat, danger of destroying the light, etc.) If you want more performance, the L92 cells are a real dream in almost every respect (ultra light weight, highest legal output, and the longest runtimes possible in the L0D). The only downside to L92 is the cost of a couple bucks per cell.

Here is a quick summary of the battery options for the L0D -

10440 -
Flaming bright output (sometimes litterally). **** poor on maximum runtimes compared to NiMH, but great for short blasts to impress your Geek friends (if you don't mind the minor issue that there is a small chance you could destroy the light in the process). 10440 batteries are rechargable, but require a special charger, and the L0D doesn't have a low voltage cutout to protect these cells (because it's NOT supposed to be used with them) so if you forget and let the battery run down too far it will be destroyed (which will pretty much cancel out the advantages of having a rechargable cell). If you are looking for the best overall option, you problably will want to consider something else.

Energizer L92 AAA lithium -
A bit pricy, and not rechargable, but otherwise the PERFECT power source for the L0D. Half the weight of NiMH cells, with the highest output possible short of the non-approved 10440 option. L92 cells also have best-in-class runtimes that blow away every other type of battery by a substantial margin. If you absolutly need cutting edge runtimes (or low temprature performance for outdoor use), or if you will use the light infrequenly (shelf life for L92 cells is more than 15 YEARS), then L92 lithium cells are your best bet.

Low self discharge NiMH (Sanyo Eneloop, Rayovac Hybrid, etc.) -
These cells offer 15 to 20 percent lower ultimate capacity than high capacity NiMH cells, but will hold their charge better, so if you don't use the light for a month or more between charge cycles, then they will actually give better overall performance. Many consider them the best compromise between shelf life and performance, but that will depend on how you use your L0D.

Standard high capacity NiMH (Duracell 1000mAh etc.) -

Great performance, with runtimes better than anything else except L92 lithium. With all the buzz about Eneloops's, many folks forget that these batteries are your best bet if you use your L0D every single day and will recharge them within a few weeks. 1000mAh cells start out with more usable capacity, and maintain thier advantage for a few weeks. Of course, after that, without recharging, they will have less capacity than the equivelent AAA Low Self Discharge NiMH cell, so if you don't use your L0D very often, you will want to think about another option.

Plain Alkaline AAA -
For occasional intermittent use, Alkalines are probably fine, but if you use the L0D frequently, you will probably want to limit the use of Alkaline batteries to when another better option is not available. When useing Alkaline batteries in HIGH and MEDIUM modes, you will see somewhat poorer output regulation, and much shorter runtimes, compared to NiMH or L92 cells. Alkaline cells do have fairly high ultimate capacity, but don't like high loads, so they will give the best bang for the buck in the L0D when used in LOW mode. In LOW mode, Alkalines work almost as well as NiMH cells, delivering many hours of well regulated light (Remember even in LOW mode, the L0D will still outperform most of the ARC and Fenix E0 class lights). Even with their lackluster performance, Alkalines will work better in the L0D than almost any other high power LED light, and MUCH better than ANY incandescent light. Even if you routinely select another battery option, it's really nice to have a light that can use good old Alkalines (or even carbon-zinc) batteries as an alternative in an emergency (as opposed to CR123 lights).

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would wait i allready have the lod rebel its pretty dam good but i know from an inside source that the LOD IS getting the R2 in about 2 months 120 lumens thats the one im getting!:thumbsup:

update not R2 BUT R4
What? You're saying in 2 months the L0D will get a R4 LED emitter?

How is that possible, when even the R2s are so rare?

What is your inside source? Sounds very questionable to me.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really, that soon. I just ordered the Q4 version and it hasn't arrived yet and I'm already hearing about an R4 version :(
Like I stated above I seriously doubt the validity of that claim.

R2s are barely available, how could any R4 be available for a mass produced light like the L0D? I have yet to hear of a single light using R4, most lights are still using Q5.

So don't fall for this just yet. It's just a rumor, and a very flimsy one at that.

thebigjim

Newly Enlightened
What? You're saying in 2 months the L0D will get a R4 LED emitter?

How is that possible, when even the R2s are so rare?

What is your inside source? Sounds very questionable to me.

If the R2 is so rare, how come E-Bay is flooded with R2 P60 Drop Ins? Has anyone confirmed the ones sold are R2's?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you just answered your own question ;)

No, they haven't been confirmed. And chances are, they never will be. An IS is pretty tricky to get hold of, and anyone who does have an IS probably has better things to do with it than calibrate cheap ebay fakes.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just sold my L0D, ive had the LF2X on my keys since its second week of being here, havent looked back.

Although, to be fair, i sold the L0D in anticipation of what is to come....hopefully we will have an R4 before the year is out, or early next year..

Crenshaw

Illum

Flashaholic
It seems too small to handle the heat from overpowering it, anyway. (At least for any significant length of time.) As others have said, if you need "extreme" brightness, other lights are made to use 10440's.

Oh don't be silly, theres sufficient heatsink on the body as long as your holding it. :nana:
What I fear is the voltage input is exceeding the overhead of the boost circuit, which may kill the circuitry way before it kills the LED. Since the L0D was optimized to be powered with ~1.5V or single cell voltage replacing the designed power supply with something like a 10440 [nominal 3.6V, peak 4.2V] just sounds stupid. If 4sevens have confirmed the L0Dhas bucking capability it will work marvelously, but since 4seevens stated EXPLICITLY that the L0D should NOT be used with 10440s I find it irresponsible to recommend others to use the configuration in question:shakehead
Lets just keep the discussion to experiences only :)
This is a good thread, no reason to risk a closure:poke:

thebigjim, believe nothing that you read on ebay, especially from usernames you don't recognize.

As for the L0D upgrades, don't mingle with rumors. any updates with tangible evidence can easily be attained by PMing 4sevens, hes the US representative for the fenix company IIRC.

Higher Bin LEDs sometimes require higher voltage drops. As far as efficiency goes, some voltages cannot be attained when using a single AAA as power. I was reluctant to believe that Fenix managed to sandwich a Q4 into the light. Even though a Q5 came out way before the release of the L0D-CE Q4 the Vin was too high for the converter board to handle so fenix decided not to use it.

Either way the matter is irrelevant, since the source of this has not been verified there isn't much substance to discuss and continuing a thread from pure speculation won't get us anywhere.:whistle:

As of the moment I am convinced even with the new R bins coming out the current Q4 version is still the brightest light in its class while being very affordable [compared to the extremeIII]:)

Flintstone

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering this as a EDC replacement or addition to my E01 as this seems a lot more reliable and smaller than the E10 (which I was disappointed with) and a bit more flexible than the E01. A few questions:

Is the twisty just as tight as the E01 to turn on/off? I have the KD Buckle v4 and had to drop it as it turned on by itself all the time...

Any pictures of how the MicroStream+L0D combo looks and info about the benefits? Tried to search but I got nowhere...

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Pics.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2489499

You might want to flip through the entire thread, I think there are more in there. The benefit is it gives you a forward clicky LOD, so you don't have to twist anymore. Drawback is slightly increased size/length, and it doesn't match well in style (although black LOD with MS is decent)

And yes, the twisty of the LOD is sufficiently tight. I have never had mine come on accidentally. FWIW, I keep the head twisted about 60 degrees (two of the side flats) away from ON.

smg

Newly Enlightened
...Drawback is slightly increased size/length, and it doesn't match well in style (although black LOD with MS is decent)...
I just thought I'd add to the "drawbacks section"... if it's not obvious, you will lose the ability to tailstand the light when you add the Microstream tail (it is a FORWARD clickie :thumbsup:). Water-resistance is lost (for any submersion) and I would bet that the reliability of the tail-clickie is much lower than the original twist-interface. However, if you dislike twisting, this setup is a great combination!