Fenix LD01 - LOD-Q4 replacement

Illum

Flashaholic
Interesting trivia fact for the day. It was not until 2006 that colored underwear outsold plain old white underwear for the first time in history.

People like plain....

:crackup:

lets not go there lest this thread goes all the way to stating a consensus of colored manties [:caution:]

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nope. We are way over-stock of olive L0D Q4's. I also checked the total
number sold. Compared to black it doesn't even come close to 1/3. I know
before we had the olive L0D Q4, there was almost a riot demanding them.
When we rolled them out, they trickled out like a wounded cactus in the
blistering sun. Well... not like that exactly, but you get the point.
Don't worry, I'm not anti-olive or anti-colors - just saying that olive is not as
in demand as it looks like from threads on CPF :p

Is there any possibility that it has something to do with market saturation of the other color first? I personally would have preferred olive over my red snowflake light but it wasn't available at the time.

If black is so strong why not offer it last and get a few repeat buyers?

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
Fenix finally answered most of our wishes. No PWM on low modes. It is quite dangerous to use a light that has noticeable PWM (low frequency) on places where there are lots of moving machines. It will tend to make propeller blades appear slow or even stop. I have experienced that the hard way.

Thanks Fenix.

geek4christ

Enlightened
Case in point. We see the ACTUAL sales of colored e01's. Black sells by far
more than any other color. Olive is about 1/3 of blacks and each of the colors
are about 1/2 of olive. The ACTUAL demand is tiny. For some reason people
just like black. Of course colors are attractive and nice in advertising,
eventually people just settle with black. Go figure. :shrug:

Notices how most cars on the street are white, black or silver? Actually
tons of silver cars... Also, despite all the choices in potato chip flavors, the
best selling kind are the plane jane classic chips and plain corn tortillas.
Hmm.....

Ah, those stats are a bit of a bummer. I definitely like the colors, but we finicky folk seem to be in the minority. Here's hoping flashlights are like underwear someday :laughing:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't care about the colors. Yea the Olive is nicer in my view but at heart we are talking about a tool. Also I don't care if the Olive head does not match the body or tail 100% on any light. Maybe if I spent a few hundred bucks the light then goes beyond a tool but this is not that case here. I like the twisty as it will not fail. Like the reduced settings. No SOS etc. Going to use this on my Jakstrap for a backup headlamp. The Med setting should work good for trails etc. I do wonder about the regulation of the new light? Going to use LSD NiMH. Like the idea that the LD01 will use the same AAA as my headlamp. If the headlamp breaks I can rob 3 cells just incase I forget backup cells. I have done this in the past. My E01/Jackstrap combo works great for a camp light but for less used trails I would want more. Guessing the E01 will be used more for EDC and the LD01 goes into the daypack as a backup. Not that I don't have a bunch of headlamps but I must find a way to justify spending more money on this stuff. :grin2:

Patriot

Flashaholic
The more I think about it, the body is the only thing that didn't change.

We've got:

A) a new emitter
B) a new reflector
C) an upgraded circuit
D) a new IU
E) a new name

That's a pretty nice "mix-up" considering these are the most significant changes to the light since it went to a Cree.

Like Woods Walker stated, it is just a tool....it's just that I'd rather not have another black one. Natural HA, Fenix natural, Fenix Silver (like the limited run of P1D's a while back) would all be preferable to black.

Bonky

Banned
I agree, but that's like saying you want a cell phone that doesn't have a camera. Pretty hard to come by these days.

Back in the day of the plastic Eveready flashlight with the big white switch on the side and the two D-cells that came with it, you could get pretty much any color EXCEPT black.

A black flashlight? Why would anyone want a black flashlight? ;)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the perfect key chain light.

But I would really like to see a comparison with the LF2X.

rayman

easilyled

Flashaholic
Hey 4 7s, can't you persuade Fenix to do a run of Ti LD01s for us CPFers?

Then there'll be no worries about the finish in 6 months time. :naughty:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice upgrades. nice enough for a new buyer but not a current owner. i doubt the different lumens are noticeable.

i'm in the same boat with the modes. i hated the med low high setup. i like a simple low high. anyway, on the other hand if one were to drop a 10440 in it, the med->high output , the low-> med output and then show off mode. so essentially high, low, burst. :shrug:

Zot

Enlightened
+1
I find strobe useful too. When walking in a parking lot at/near dark or along a roadside, strobe really helps you stand and get noticed by drivers much more that a constant on beam.
I for one still wish it had strobe. SOS I could live without, but I find strobe useful.

Zot

Enlightened
How about a new fenixstore coupon code "wounded cactus" to help move out all the olive L0D Q4's
:crackup:
Nope. We are way over-stock of olive L0D Q4's. I also checked the total
number sold. Compared to black it doesn't even come close to 1/3. I know
before we had the olive L0D Q4, there was almost a riot demanding them.
When we rolled them out, they trickled out like a wounded cactus in the
blistering sun.