Fenix LD01 - LOD-Q4 replacement

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
That survey is for UI preference, not which mode/lumen output is used the most. Sorry if this disappoints you. At this point we can't change it.
If it doesn't suit your needs then please don't purchase it :)

jag-engr

Enlightened
So, we have incremental improvements.

But I would prefer a lower low, and low-med-high for mode order, and full 10440 support. Oh well, no reason for me to upgrade at this point.

Agreed. On an EDC flashlight, it should start on the lowest mode and work up. I think an ideal lumen sequence would be 3 > 15 > 80, with each step being 5X as bright as the previous increment. A lumen sequence of 5 > 20 > 80 (each step being 4X as bright) would also work. The increments that Fenix continues to choose do not represent significant steps up in perceived brightness. I don't much care about the 10440 support if it would be considerably longer like the LiteFlux AAA.

youreacrab

Enlightened
Agreed. On an EDC flashlight, it should start on the lowest mode and work up. I think an ideal lumen sequence would be 3 > 15 > 80, with each step being 5X as bright as the previous increment. A lumen sequence of 5 > 20 > 80 (each step being 4X as bright) would also work. The increments that Fenix continues to choose do not represent significant steps up in perceived brightness. I don't much care about the 10440 support if it would be considerably longer like the LiteFlux AAA.

note: a lumen measures power not brightness, and for the sake of accuracy your 5x model should be 3 > 15 > 75.

Ble

Newly Enlightened
That survey is for UI preference, not which mode/lumen output is used the most.
You are right, anyway I think that a lo-med-hi would sell as well as the current UI.

Sorry If I bother you, I prefer lo-med-hi and I just want you to know that many others too.

By the way, I have two L0D-CE, a P4 and a Q4. But I will follow your advice and I will pass on this one.

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I already have a Fenix LOD Q4. I love the strobe feature. With all the hype about the new Fenix LD01 not having a strobe mode, I ordered another Fenix LOD Q4 from 4sevens.com before they are completely gone.

metawaffle

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix on my keyring, but what I'd really, really like is a JetBeam AAA light of the same sort of size, with their IBS interface. I'd love to be able to program modes on my keyring light... :candle:

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
I really commend Fenix for their innovation and upgrading- they have a superb design-to-production turnaround. I feel bad about not wanting one of these but this is a keychain light. I rarely, if ever, leave my house without my keys. I have my keys on my person nearly all the time I'm outside my house and often within. Something this important, to me, really, really, needs to look good. I don't want junk, or something that looks bad, on my keychain. I'm forced to carry my L0D on my keychain because it is the best of what is being offered, presently. While it performs flawlessly, it looks like S**T. Let me emphasize that: "It looks like S**T". I really don't want to have to carry something around that looks like crap every time I leave the house. I really don't care if this offers a 1000 lumen output for 97 hours on an AAA alkaline battery, if it has the same, black, scratch magnet body of the other L0D lights, it will soon look like S**T after a very short time of carry on a keychain.
What is the problem with a nice, knurled, silver or natural colored keychain light with one or two brightness modes of moderate output?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I pretty dearly LOVE general mode on the L1/P2 D CE Q5 of L, M, H (and not so much SOS)

LOD Q4 on Microstream body is good enough at M, L, H, Strobe (and not so much SOS).

I do believe I could live with M. L, H period with faster PWM and slightly brighter.

Gonna have to see some reviews!

I couldn't do a great one but volunteer to take one for the team!

1dash1

Enlightened
4sevens:

The L0D Q4 is a great flashlight.

Building on that platform, the LD01 demonstrates a very conservative marketing approach. I suppose I expected to see a revolutionary new product, rather than an evolutionary one. But then again, that's easy for me to say - it's not my dollar being risked on a new product launch.

My two cents worth on making this a distinctly different product:

+1 on more color options. Not sure about Olive. However, I think Silver might be a good seller?

+1 additional knurling along the body and close to the tail, for better grip and to establish a more distinct (more attractive) identity when compared with the previous model.

+1 for a smoother beam with a warmer tint. Perhaps a stock OP reflector and/or stock lens optics combined with a Golden Dragon emitter could do the trick. (I'm not asking for R&D to design a new reflector or a new lens optic. After all, there's only so much that can be done with the AAA form factor.) Basically, we're talking about sacrificing throw for a more aesthetic beam.

+1 on greater differentiating modes. 3/15/75 sounds good to me. (Although personally, I'd prefer 4 modes: 2/10/30/80 to maximize utility and runtimes. :))

2 to 3 lumens is plenty of light to negotiate around the house in the dark, provided the light has a nice, smooth beam.

Note: Although I understand the logic of having the flashlight turn on in the most commonly used mode, I'd suggest that the more natural user interface is from low-to-high. People would cycle through from low to the desired mode without a second thought. And since they start low, there's a greater chance of them utilizing the lowest output level to accomplish the task - a practice that would conserve batteries in the long run.

phatalbert

Enlightened
The LD01 looks like a winner! Way to go dropping the s.o.s. and stobe! I am continually impressed with Fenix's design, price and distributor (4sevens)!

I would, however, also like to add that I am still hoping that the LD01 functionality could someday be combined with the E01 olive color and knurling.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
That survey is for UI preference, not which mode/lumen output is used the most. Sorry if this disappoints you. At this point we can't change it.

Coming on in the middle mode makes good since to me. Especially for the reasons you mentioned earlier. The Q5 is also the next logical progression with this excellent key chain / pocket light. I look forward to its release.

Bill