Fenix LD01 Stainless - Garbage Quality at Premium Prices ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix LD01 Stainless - Garbage Chinese Quality at Premium Prices

Sorry, silly me, I foolishly thought that not having to deal with 'bad apples' was what I was paying Fenix's premium prices for. :broke:

I think I get it now, I'm supposed ignore the 'bad apples' and be really impressed that virtually 100% of the lights that Fenix doesn't screw up - are not screwed up. :thinking:

Its a manufacturing process. In a large production population, there bound to have some defects that pass through. IMHO Fenix is one of the better flashlight manufacturers, but still defects can still escape. In the manufacturing environment 100% inspection is only ~95% effective. I think the biggest part of your $50 goes into product service, warranty replacement and establishing an AD network, so that 1 defect out of 100 can be resolved via warranty.

I really do think you are making too much of this... just RMA it or ask for a refund from your AD.

I also think you should not rule out Fenix entirely as a company, based on your one incident. IMHO their lights are just too good at their price point to rule out entirely. But thats just my opinion

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened

I picked up my LD01 SS about a month ago... threads were fine - I cleaned them anyway and applied some nyogel and it's smooth as butter - the LED was centred, all 3 modes worked as expected. It's been my favourite EDC and I didn't even like AAA lights before I got it. Sounds like the OP got a lemon...

In my experience, Fenix has been pretty topnotch these days. All of my Fenix lights have worked and I have never had an issues. As always, YMMV. The OP should definitely send a note to the site / store he purchased it at and get a replacement / refund. Lemons happen everyday... just ask any cpf'ers about clicky switches failing, bad threads, fried LED's and lights that were DOA.... and, lest we all forget, all of these issues have been experienced by cpf'ers even with high-end / expensive lights!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, silly me, I foolishly thought that not having to deal with 'bad apples' was what I was paying Fenix's premium prices for. :broke:

I think I get it now, I'm supposed ignore the 'bad apples' and be really impressed that virtually 100% of the lights that Fenix doesn't screw up - are not screwed up. :thinking:

well if you are that determined to hate fenix, please go ahead, and dont bother about what we have to say

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, how about the people who spent $379 or more on something like a Surefire U2 only to get one with a donut hole in the beam, or a non-working tail cap out of the box? If it can happen to Surefire, it can happen to any brand.

If you bought from a reputable dealer just send it back for another one. It sounds like it has obvious QC problems and it shouldn't be a problem to exchange it.

It's a flashlight, not a pace maker. It's not the end of the world if you get a bad one, just exchange it.

My LD01 SS has been fine and the treads are some of the smoothest of any flashlight I own. The tint happens to be great on mine. The beam quality is fair, but with an XR-E and a very small smooth reflector the beam will only ever be so good. You may want to look into a XP-E based AAA light that would offer a cleaner beam.

Hoping to see Fenix use the XP-E in more of their lights, especially in the LD01 series.

jahxman

Enlightened

Well, you can't argue with logic like that. :crazy:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assess that you're between the ages of 12 and 14.

I'm sure you will protest you're much older, but my assessment stands, based on the irrefutable evidence presented in this thread. In fact, based on my single experience reading a thread started by you, I can factually state that you are a childish boy with entitlement issues and crybaby tendencies. :grin2: It's surprising, with a name like Luminescent I expected so much more, but from now on I know all I need to know about you. Yes, that's correct, from my single experience of you I am prepared to make such conclusions. I'm just that smart. :nana:

I mean seriously, grow up. Life happens. You deal with it. Some complain and complain - and life hands them what they expect. Others get on with solving the problems at hand, moving on and enjoying life.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LD01 is probably my least favorite flashlight out of my collection. I just do not like the fact that I have to be careful with the 10440 and having the chance for it to blow up. It gets really hot way too fast. But I cannot complain about beam quality and of Fenix in general. Nothing but quality products from them. And I can also understand about the 10440 situation since it is made to use AAA cells... sorry to hear about your situation. :(

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Moderators, why has this not been moved to the Jeers sub forum of the marketplace?

Because it does not deserve to be in the Jeers forum. The OP has not been working with the dealer or Fenix people to resolve his issue. If he had done that and still did not feel satisfied, then he could open a Jeers thread. The OP instead prefers to do a flaming, baiting type thread.

Bill

iandh

Newly Enlightened
I just got my stainless LD01 from ebay last week and it is SUPERB.

Threads are like butter, finish is very uniform with little to no machining marks, and beam is a perfect disc with soft edges and no hot/cold spots. There isn't a single trace of machining remnants anywhere in the threads or inside the battery tube.

I couldn't be happier with the quality of mine, and I've been a machinist by trade for over a decade, so I am seriously picky when it comes to finish quality.

Also, I won mine for $46 shipped, the next best alternative was the Maratec for $36 shipped, a $10 difference. I wouldn't consider either of those prices "premium".

I am highly confident in saying you got a dud. :)

Norm

Retired Administrator

QC will never be 100% on any product, that's a good reason for buying from a dealer you trust to look after you with a replacement light.
My SSLD01 is one of my favorite small lights, I carry it with me everyday on my keyring.
Norm

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

I mean seriously, grow up. Life happens. You deal with it. Some complain and complain - and life hands them what they expect. Others get on with solving the problems at hand, moving on and enjoying life.
+1, though I see a flaw in your plan..

why would a 12, 14 year old's parents allow him to buy such an expensive light? :devil:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see, I've purchased a Fenix E01, 2 L2T (V1, V2), LM LXG200 (L1T v 2.0) and a LD10. Both the L2T and the LD10 were purchased second hand and have been fine to this day (1 L2T was sold and the new owner never told me about receiving broken light either).

All and all, nice sensationalist post but like most things that are massed produced, there will be gems and there will be lemons. That's a part of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts