Fenix LD12 2017 Edition

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix is the brand my flashaholism started with; as I learned and gained experience with lights the brand just couldn't cut it for me anymore as I grew unwilling to pay for cool tints.

For me to purchase a non-lithium light I want neutral or warm tint, tailstanding, and a 1- or sub-lumen low.

This LD12 is almost my perfect single-AA light! I really like the LiIon compatibility, too.

I would order one today - if it had a single-/sub-lumen mode. (So close!!!)

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question, why is the reported NiMH runtime so much higher than for Alkaline? I thought Alkalines were capable of a higher capacity than their NiMH (rechargeable) counterparts - although I could be mistaken...

Better voltage sag curves probably.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neutral white LD12. Interesting!

But I wonder why Fenix is so stubborn to keep XP-G2(or XP-E2) with their single AA lights. Why not XM-L2? Yes; the throw will be better with XP-G2 but I still find it strange because the single CR123 lights use XM-L2. And why still not a ~1lm low mode? Anyway I find this light interesting.

Last edited:

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a great light, at least it was for its time, NW is a nice edition but i don't think its something special like Fenix lights used to be.

colight

Enlightened
I see all of this in the light(pun intended) not of a flashaholic, but from a manufacturer's POV. Should they cater for a few hundred, or few thousand flashlight fanatics and/or enthusiasts, or should they cater for the millions of consumers who buy illumination tools for what they are designed for - lighting the world around them? I love a flashlight that can throw up to a 1000 m away with an LED the intensity of which can outshine the sun, but if you were manufacturers, what would you do? (I know I am going to be stoned for this comment, but it is okay, I can take it! ;)) No, I think they do consider the comments from many flashlight enthusiasts, hence this LD12 (didn't you all ask for NW, inter alia?) but they have to look at what the masses want also, hence all the other products. I'm glad I'm not a manufacturer having to face these choices of who to please!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see all of this in the light(pun intended) not of a flashaholic, but from a manufacturer's POV. Should they cater for a few hundred, or few thousand flashlight fanatics and/or enthusiasts, or should they cater for the millions of consumers who buy illumination tools for what they are designed for - lighting the world around them? I love a flashlight that can throw up to a 1000 m away with an LED the intensity of which can outshine the sun, but if you were manufacturers, what would you do? (I know I am going to be stoned for this comment, but it is okay, I can take it! ;)) No, I think they do consider the comments from many flashlight enthusiasts, hence this LD12 (didn't you all ask for NW, inter alia?) but they have to look at what the masses want also, hence all the other products. I'm glad I'm not a manufacturer having to face these choices of who to please!

Make a flashlight that is competitive with other manufactures(the competition) models in output, features, efficiency, and emitter choice. This flashlight is not competitive in any of those areas unfortunately.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this light isn't really all that impressive when compared with simialr lights on the market but it is still at the top of my to buy list. I love Fenix (no they aren't as innovative as other manufacturers) because they offer solid lights with realistic outputs and runtimes at reasonable prices. I know when I grab one of my Fenixs it's going to work and not leave me without light. The main reason I don't own more of their lights is the lack of NW offerings and moonlight modes. I have asked and asked for these options and they have at least finally listened to one of our requests so I've got to give this one a try.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you Tac Gunner,

Nothing spectacular with this new model. But if I am right it's Fenix first 1AA flashlight(headlamp not included) in neutral white. The brightness levels are well spaced and it has no extreme output. At least with AA NiMh and lithium cell all brightness levels, including the highest, should be flat regulated for a decent time without step down after a short while. Let see if anyone reviewing it.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the name is wrong.
Should be 2016 edition.
Because Fenix should be able to source an S2 or S3 bin 'neutral-white' [Fenix usually does 5000K]

magicstone12

Banned
I feel that this new model can even surpass the awesomeness of the older models. I really like the new 14500 li-ion support too, making the light even more flexible.

dbld49

Newly Enlightened
I placed an order for the ld12 last night. I didn't have a light in 14500 format, nor a neutral white LED. I don't even need this light, but think it would be a great pocket light for work, or whatever. It's a Fenix, so I really have no doubt this will be a solid performer. I only own Fenix lights, so I don't care there's no moonlight mode.

natez92

Newly Enlightened
Question, why is the reported NiMH runtime so much higher than for Alkaline? I thought Alkalines were capable of a higher capacity than their NiMH (rechargeable) counterparts - although I could be mistaken...

I wonder what the beam profile will be like for this light. The older LD12 had a smallish and extremely well defined hotspot (which I wasn't a fan of, but it made for good throw). I do really like the weight & feel of the light in my hand - seems like it has a good build quality. I had someone from the forum modify my LD12 with a Nichia 219c and apply some diffusor film to the lens for a floody beam profile... I do like the improved sideswitch on this updated model. Maybe I will buy it and also have someone modify it for me (this time with a 219b emitter)....

Who was it that modded your LD12? (If you don't mind me asking) I was wanting someone to do the exact same thing to mine.

ecallahan

Enlightened
I have 2 on the way, supposed to arrive Saturday. There isn't many single AA neutral white lights on the market right now that are in stock. I will know more first hand in a few days. First thing I'll do after making sure they work is put diffusion film if they have a tight beam profile.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well alright! Got my 2017 LD12 today along with 4 800mah Fenix 14500's. This thing is awesome!! The tint is very neutral but does have a very very slight hint of green against some surfaces. Aside from that I am very satisfied. To my eyes the 2017 LD12 is putting way more than 320 lumens out the front. My copy is flawless in build quality I love it!!!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea but do you like it?! Just kidding, sounds good! How's the beam look, hotspot and flood transition wise?
Well alright! Got my 2017 LD12 today along with 4 800mah Fenix 14500's. This thing is awesome!! The tint is very neutral but does have a very very slight hint of green against some surfaces. Aside from that I am very satisfied. To my eyes the 2017 LD12 is putting way more than 320 lumens out the front. My copy is flawless in build quality I love it!!!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is awesome! It HAS to be putting more than 320 OTF it easily hangs with my 340 lumen PD32. What does the profile look like? It is an XPG emitter thus the profile is very well defined. Nice crisp hot spot but not TO sharply defined. A very slight corona and awesome spill that is just as bright at the outer edge as it is where it starts outside the corona. The transitions from spot to corona to spill are how do I put this umm just about perfect in usual XPG fashion. There is no oversize or dramatic transition from one to another. Lastly I gotta say this little light is incredibly well built it is IP68 rated! It has the same low profile tail switch as found on the 2016 PD32. It can almost tail stand...almost. The low profile switch is the same height as the raised edges of the tail. So...I will be installing an Armytek V3 switch boot so it can tail stand just like I did with my 2016 PD32. Comes with a much better holster than older Fenix models. Clip is nice and tight and black to match the light. The strobe is awesome. I have full confidence I could turn it on and throw it into a creek and it would keep on running. This light is a screaming value...

Last edited:

colight

Enlightened
With all these positive remarks I may just have to convince my personal minister of finance that I need this light. I'm not particularly fond of the NW, but maybe I may even start to like it....

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
It uses the XPG2 R5 emitter it is much more recent than the original XPG2 it is supposedly more efficient. Beam profile should be very good I am thinking a more well defined original PD32 beam profile. Guess I will find out when mine shows up.

Actually, the R5 bin suggests its the same efficiency as the xp-g2 R5 oof old. There are more efficient xp-g2's, but they would be s2, s3 or s4, the highest being 20% more efficient.
I do hope they later release a version with the s4 bin, which by now is also available in NW.

Can you tell anything about the Colourtemp? Is it 5000k, 4500k or 4000k?