Fenix LD12 2017 Edition

redtruck

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today. Does your tail cap come off? Mine seems to be stuck or glued on. Strange that the button is a bit lower in profile than the previous gen yet it cannot tailstand.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
theBelgian-my bad you are correct about the emitter. As for color temp I do not have any measuring equipment but having as many lights as I do I am going by the seat of my eyeballs. I would put it at 4500ishK. NOTE-do NOT try to change the low profile switch boot as I mentioned I was going to do so I could put in a lower profile Armytek V3 switch boot! The 2017 LD12 is an IP68 rated light and boy does Fenix mean it. I have wound up destroying the tail switch of my new 2017 LD12. Turns out the low profile switch boot it comes with is glued into place with a waterproof substance. Glad the 2017 LD12 is as cheap as it is as I ordered another one. Yes the 2017 LD12 is in my opinion so good that I just ordered up another one after ruining the first one I ordered the day I got it. When I get the new one on Monday or Tuesday I will post up some white wall beam shots...

Also-it is brighter than my 340 lumen PD32. No-the tail cap does NOT come off. I do not know what Fenix used to glue it in place but whatever they used is waterproof.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your impressions and sucks you messed up the first one. I was hoping and praying that it would tail stand but not to be. If you tell me the head is potted I will forget about the tail standing and order one right now though. :naughty:

QUOTE=CelticCross74;5009119]theBelgian-my bad you are correct about the emitter. As for color temp I do not have any measuring equipment but having as many lights as I do I am going by the seat of my eyeballs. I would put it at 4500ishK. NOTE-do NOT try to change the low profile switch boot as I mentioned I was going to do so I could put in a lower profile Armytek V3 switch boot! The 2017 LD12 is an IP68 rated light and boy does Fenix mean it. I have wound up destroying the tail switch of my new 2017 LD12. Turns out the low profile switch boot it comes with is glued into place with a waterproof substance. Glad the 2017 LD12 is as cheap as it is as I ordered another one. Yes the 2017 LD12 is in my opinion so good that I just ordered up another one after ruining the first one I ordered the day I got it. When I get the new one on Monday or Tuesday I will post up some white wall beam shots...

Also-it is brighter than my 340 lumen PD32. No-the tail cap does NOT come off. I do not know what Fenix used to glue it in place but whatever they used is waterproof.[/QUOTE]

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know if the head is potted or not. I am going to assume that it is. I have examined the underside of the head of the 2017 LD12 I wasted the switch on and there is no visible way to access the electronics in the head. This is going to be interesting. I am going to have a new 2017 LD12 on Monday and at the same time have a new 2017 LD12 head to use as maybe a spare or maybe there will be a tint difference oh so slightly? Also gotta note that the 800mah Fenix 14500 cells are some of the highest quality 14500's I have ever seen. The positive button top on them is huge.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
theBelgian-my bad you are correct about the emitter. As for color temp I do not have any measuring equipment but having as many lights as I do I am going by the seat of my eyeballs. I would put it at 4500ishK. NOTE-do NOT try to change the low profile switch boot as I mentioned I was going to do so I could put in a lower profile Armytek V3 switch boot! The 2017 LD12 is an IP68 rated light and boy does Fenix mean it. I have wound up destroying the tail switch of my new 2017 LD12. Turns out the low profile switch boot it comes with is glued into place with a waterproof substance. Glad the 2017 LD12 is as cheap as it is as I ordered another one. Yes the 2017 LD12 is in my opinion so good that I just ordered up another one after ruining the first one I ordered the day I got it. When I get the new one on Monday or Tuesday I will post up some white wall beam shots...

Also-it is brighter than my 340 lumen PD32. No-the tail cap does NOT come off. I do not know what Fenix used to glue it in place but whatever they used is waterproof.

Ruined? Why didn't you just re-glue the boot rim back on? It is likely just silicone they used. Plus, it would likely only be slightly less water resistant anyway without the sealant.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
and there is no visible way to access the electronics in the head.

Meaning individuals won't be able to modify these lights???

CC can you please describe the factory beam profile as far as the hotspot and spill are concerned? The older LD12 had a small and extremely well-defined hot spot... Wondering if the new version is much the same... Thanks....

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf if you scroll up to post #38 he gives a description of the beam profile.
Meaning individuals won't be able to modify these lights???

CC can you please describe the factory beam profile as far as the hotspot and spill are concerned? The older LD12 had a small and extremely well-defined hot spot... Wondering if the new version is much the same... Thanks....

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today. Does your tail cap come off? Mine seems to be stuck or glued on. Strange that the button is a bit lower in profile than the previous gen yet it cannot tailstand.
Got mine today and I'm still doing some tests on it. My tail cap does not come off either and suspicion is that its glued on. Diagram in the manual shows battery insertion via unscrewing the head. So maybe its not meant to come off. Of note is that mine did not come with holster which I was a bit bummed. I'm assuming that Fenix is not providing a holster for them?

Initial test shows that its 5-39-87-159 lumens with an Eneloop. The turbo mode is very susceptible to a fully charged Eneloop to maintain its stated turbo brightness of 150 lumens. I'm still waiting for a 14500 battery to get fully charged. Glad I ordered a couple of Fenix 14500 batteries as my Keeppower and my EagleTac batteries are too fat. But further investigation shows that Fenix narrowed down the tube. Those two batteries slide with ease in the LD11. I also got one of Fenix new 1.5v rechargeable lithium ion batteries and though I was a little skeptical of them (they actually have a micro USB port right on the battery to charge), I am anxious to see how well the compare to an Eneloop and 14500.

Tint is similar to the HL50 headlamp which is neutral but with maybe a hint of green. Not so much that its an issue and you'd only notice it if comparing to something that I would consider a perfect neutral tint such as the HL50......but it is very close. And I'm sure it varies a little from unit to unit. I say I like the tint. I'd estimate around 5000k. Beam definitely tighter and smaller than HL50. Beam pattern is similar to any other XP-G2 light. [Edit: If anyone is familiar with the LD11, the new LD12 beam pattern pretty much looks identical now that I've had some time to play around with them.......just the the LD12 is neutral vs the cool white LD11]. No real rings present. There is an abrupt end at the spill. Beam pattern is very good in my opinion. Total diameter is the same as the LD11.

Some run time tests coming if I can figure out how to post a picture on CPF now that the latest free hosting site (Imgur) that I was using requires a login now. I may have to consult you guys on what to do there.

Edit: I have now charged my 14500 and this is what I get:

5-40-96-400 lumens. It edges my PD32, XPG2 just barely. So call this a little mini PD32 light. I really like this new LD12. I had some bad luck with previous LD12's once Fenix went over to the XP-G2 LED, or the Gen2 LD12's. I had two that would not regulate very well and did not perform like they should. So I was anxious to see how these new ones did. I felt pretty confident that there would be no problem because by utilizing an 4.20v battery, I knew the driver was totally new. This new LD12 has rock solid regulation from my initial observation looking at the light meter. I really like the light and I'm usually pretty picky. It's passed the tint test for me. I'm grateful that there is not 5 modes. I wish there was a holster. The switch is still kind of stiff like the new 2016 PD32. The light is a keeper for me. The final test is efficiency compared to other single AA, XP-G2 lights such as the LD11, EagleTac D25A, Nitecore MT10A and Jetbeam MK-I which have shown to be leaders in efficiency. Sorry I have no Zebralights to compare.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks hiuintahs! I was hoping you would pick one up and give your impressions. :grin2:
Got mine today and I'm still doing some tests on it. My tail cap does not come off either and suspicion is that its glued on. Diagram in the manual shows battery insertion via unscrewing the head. So maybe its not meant to come off. Of note is that mine did not come with holster which I was a bit bummed. I'm assuming that Fenix is not providing a holster for them?

Initial test shows that its 5-39-87-159 lumens with an Eneloop. The turbo mode is very susceptible to a fully charged Eneloop to maintain its stated turbo brightness of 150 lumens. I'm still waiting for a 14500 battery to get fully charged. Glad I ordered a couple of Fenix 14500 batteries as my Keeppower and my EagleTac batteries are too fat. But further investigation shows that Fenix narrowed down the tube. Those two batteries slide with ease in the LD11. I also got one of Fenix new 1.5v rechargeable lithium ion batteries and though I was a little skeptical of them (they actually have a micro USB port right on the battery to charge), I am anxious to see how well the compare to an Eneloop and 14500.

Tint is similar to the HL50 headlamp which is neutral but with maybe a hint of green. Not so much that its an issue and you'd only notice it if comparing to something that I would consider a perfect neutral tint such as the HL50......but it is very close. And I'm sure it varies a little from unit to unit. I say I like the tint. I'd estimate around 5000k. Beam definitely tighter and smaller than HL50. Beam pattern is similar to any other XP-G2 light. Hot spot is slightly larger than that of the LD11 and perhaps a little more gradual going into the corona. No real rings present. There is an abrupt end at the spill. Beam pattern is very good in my opinion. Total diameter is about the same as the LD11.

Some run time tests coming if I can figure out how to post a picture on CPF now that the latest free hosting site (Imgur) that I was using requires a login now. I may have to consult you guys on what to do there.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thanks hiuintahs for the careful description of this light(thanks CelticCross74 as well). Regarding the brightness levels, do you have an integrated sphere? I should receive it next week and it will be very interesting!

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
.....Regarding the brightness levels, do you have an integrated sphere?
No I do not have an integrated sphere so these levels are approximate. I use a home made lightbox........so it does represent a constant environment from which all of my lights are tested. After testing dozens of lights and comparing to manufacturers specs, I have a formula that converts Lux to lumens. Not sure what the +/- error might be......maybe 5%?

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2017 LD12 came with a nice tiny little holster and a no name AA alkaline and a lanyard. Strange. I get my Fenix lights from Fenix Store here on CPF. 400 lumens? I knew this thing was cranking way above manufacturer spec! Even if your home made light box is off 10 or 15% this little 2017 LD12 is going to be a home run for Fenix and will likely be around a very long time. I will indeed post white wall beam shots of my incoming 2017 LD12. As mentioned I ruined the tail of the first one I got but the head is brand new and just fine. I will try the 1st head on the new incoming replacement to see if there is any noticeable tint or output difference. If so I will post white wall beam shots of that as well. Lastly I do not know what Fenix used to glue the switch boot into place but I am very confident it was no silicone. I literally had to rip it apart and tear it out which left behind a rubber ring in the aluminum well the boot sat in. Silicone is easy to remove. I even tried heating it up with a hair dryer but to no avail. The rest of the rubber stayed glued in place. I will attempt to post a pic of said destroyed tail piece and the inside of the head.

WIN_20161203_22_21_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20161203_22_24_35_Pro.jpg

dbld49

Newly Enlightened
Mine didn't come with a holster. There's no mention of one on the package of what's included. I wish it came with one though.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a pic of the 2017 LD12 that I destroyed the tail of in the holster it came with. I got it from Fenix Store. Will note if my replacement 2017 LD12 also ordered from Fenix Store comes with another holster or not.

WIN_20161204_01_12_57_Pro.jpg

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a pic of the 2017 LD12 that I destroyed the tail of in the holster it came with. I got it from Fenix Store. Will note if my replacement 2017 LD12 also ordered from Fenix Store comes with another holster or not.
I wonder if that is something extra the Fenix-Store is providing. Product description definitely DOES NOT indicate that one is included. The holster looks just like the one that comes with the LD11.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
No I do not have an integrated sphere so these levels are approximate. I use a home made lightbox........so it does represent a constant environment from which all of my lights are tested. After testing dozens of lights and comparing to manufacturers specs, I have a formula that converts Lux to lumens. Not sure what the +/- error might be......maybe 5%?

I have used ceiling bounce test for long time and found a conversion from lux to lumens based on a lot of flashlights with a known measured lumen output. In many cases it's spot on correct either to stated value or integrated sphere value. Some lights differ a lot from the specification and then I know that the specs are not correct. So I definitely think your measurement is very accurate.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
How is the build quality?

Any additional thoughts on whether or not this light can be modded?