Fenix LD15 XP-G R4 117 lumens officially released ..!

justin3

Newly Enlightened
I'm also doing a review. I've had mine for 2.5 weeks, and should have the review up this weekend. It probably won't be quite as detailed as most of the reviews on this forum, as I'm pretty much a newb, have none of the equipment to meter the light or test voltage etc....
It will be more of a layman's perspective.

The one thing I can tell you now is that if you like to run rechargeables, this light is not for you, unless Fenix changes specs on the production model.

justin3

Newly Enlightened
Why's that?

They don't fit. I've tried 3 varieties of NiMH cells, and none of them fit properly. I was only able to get it to turn on using one of them, and by doing so, slightly damaged part of the light.

Egsise

Banned
That's interesting, what rechargeables have you tried, any well known batteries like Eneloop, ReCyko, Hybrid etc?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Did I miss something??

Is Nitecore and Fenix now owned by the same parent company? :confused:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I reckon Fenix will always be the superior Chinese brand

Not in this case. The LD15 is a Nitecore EZ AA with "Fenix" printed on it.

Holy evil twin, Batman!

The only thing it's missing is the sinister goatee.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Might be same design but different emitter and the fact that it's a Fenix just makes it tops!

But . . . It's not a Fenix. It's the Nitecore EZ AA body with a different emitter and "Fenix" printed on it instead of "Nitecore."

Would you buy a KIA Rio for $60,000 if I put BMW badges on it and tweaked the engine just a tiny bit? :D

justin3

Newly Enlightened
That's interesting, what rechargeables have you tried, any well known batteries like Eneloop, ReCyko, Hybrid etc?

Rayovac Platinum LSD, Kodak, and Energizer.

So not necessarily the top names.

NightKids

Enlightened
But . . . It's not a Fenix. It's the Nitecore EZ AA body with a different emitter and "Fenix" printed on it instead of "Nitecore."

Would you buy a KIA Rio for $60,000 if I put BMW badges on it and tweaked the engine just a tiny bit? :D

As you said it's a Nitecore body, so it's more like putting a BMW engine in a Kia Rio! Hell I'd buy that!!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
They don't fit. I've tried 3 varieties of NiMH cells, and none of them fit properly. I was only able to get it to turn on using one of them, and by doing so, slightly damaged part of the light.

That's a big issue as I mostly use NiMH AAs.

Egsise

Banned
But . . . It's not a Fenix. It's the Nitecore EZ AA body with a different emitter and "Fenix" printed on it instead of "Nitecore.
Could you take some side by side pictures of them?

The LD15 UI is off-lo-off-hi-off, EZAA UI is off-lo-hi-lo-off.

Runtime on low LD15 39h, EZAA 20h.

The body may be the same, but that's about it?

Nice-Light

Newly Enlightened
Rayovac Platinum LSD, Kodak, and Energizer.

So not necessarily the top names.

Just tested: Eneloop, Tenergy, Energizer 2100 + 2500, and Dorcy NiMH they all fit just fine in my test sample and the retail production LD15 lights.
:)

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
The LD15 is a Nitecore EZ AA with "Fenix" printed on it.

Could you take some side by side pictures of them?

The LD15 UI is off-lo-off-hi-off, EZAA UI is off-lo-hi-lo-off.

Runtime on low LD15 39h, EZAA 20h.

The body may be the same, but that's about it?

Unfortunately there's no narration in it; but this youtube video (below) of the LD15 doesn't appear to support Monocrom's hypothesis and instead seems to demonstrate Egsise's contention that the UI is off-lo-off-hi-off

"lightake:Fenix LD15 Cree XP-G R4 2-Mode 117 Lumens LED Flashlight Black"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhFjKHzwvU4

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
w88dvr.jpg

LD15 has a nice beam with a wide hotspot and a pleasant tint. Pity it comes on at high level, no doubt about that.

And here's the comparison:

20u1p93.jpg

:cool:

justin3

Newly Enlightened
Just tested: Eneloop, Tenergy, Energizer 2100 + 2500, and Dorcy NiMH they all fit just fine in my test sample and the retail production LD15 lights.
:)

Hm. Odd.

I wonder if mine is just a fluke? It's too bad that Fenix didn't email me back about it, I will have to review it as not capable of running on NiMH, with the stated claim that it does.

Did you really have to wrench the head down to get it to function on the NiMH?