Fenix or Surefire?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You guys are horrible flashaholics!

Everyone knows the answer is..... BOTH!!! :party:

tarpon6

Newly Enlightened
While some of the regulars bemoan this type of Chevy vs. Ford, Coke vs. Pepsi, or on the boards I come from Canon vs. Nikon thread; as a new guy this post is both entertaining and informative. :twothumbs

xiaowenzu

Banned
While some of the regulars bemoan this type of Chevy vs. Ford, Coke vs. Pepsi, or on the boards I come from Canon vs. Nikon thread; as a new guy this post is both entertaining and informative. :twothumbs
Actually Fenix vs Surefire, is like Hamburger vs Steaks. :whistle:I tend to skip Hamburgers everytime because I know the money saved is going to be spent on big fat juicy steaks. Steaks being Surefires of course. :nana:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Hamburger vs. steaks for "quality" maybe. Not too long ago the tables were reversed for "performance". Now that Surefire's performance is good, What about SWITCH RELIABILITY?? To me, this is extremely important, though you can use a paper clip or other maliable metal object to substitute in an emergency, I would expect a reliable switch from BOTH. BOTH 50 bucks and 300 can be significant purchases with the latter being of course more so. With the name Surefire, I would think reliability would be a BIG DEAL. :( I've seen many reports of U2 switches failing. Both my U2 and all my L / P xD CE have functioned perfectly so far for quite awhile, but still, I feel pretty bad for the people who got bad switches on the Surefires. On the other hand, I have only seen around 2-3 reports of the Fenix switches failing. I want one of those new forward tactical XxD CE clickies.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a Surefire is "the best" flashlight, then an armored Humvee is "the best" car, and an AR-15 is "the best" rifle. I think what is "best" depends on the task at hand.

lucio

Newly Enlightened
ehehe burning question! :).

well, I like them both, and how couldn't I, being a flashaolic?

but I think that Fenix is more dynamic lately, and definitely the next flashlights I'm going to buy are from Fenix, and it's not just a question of price, even if they were in the same price-range I'd buy Fenix today.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the original poster is even bothering to read this thread anymore?

His mistake was to title the thread "Fenix vs Surefire", it is a well known BB phenomenon that posters don't actually read the thread just the title. :tsk:

My suggestion is for the OP is to read the reviews on the two lights he is considering and make his own decision. You people have proven to be mostly useless. :(

PS Disclosure: I have a P1DCE with a nekomane body. Cost as much as a E1L. Three levels, two useless modes, and an awesome forward McClicky. Small and very bright. I'd take that combo any day over a E1L. Two years from now I'll give it away for the 200 lumen model.

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the original poster is even bothering to read this thread anymore?

His mistake was to title the thread "Fenix vs Surefire", it is a well known BB phenomenon that posters don't actually read the thread just the title. :tsk:

ohhh...I'm still reading... but I'm gonna refrain from posting on the subject anymore. I didn't realize that this topic is napalm for flashaholics.

If anybody is still interested. I'm gonna get the P1-CE with the Q5 and maybe the new Rebel L1T. And If my wife doesn't find the credit card statement :sssh: maybe I'll look into Surefire next time around.

My thanks to Cave Dave, he wins "the most helpful and on topic post" award (post #15) :thumbsup:

katx

Newly Enlightened
I strongly disagree with your comparison. Comparing Fenix to SF is more like comparing cheap boxed wine to a bottle of fine aged German wine.

Fenix is not bad (I have a bunch of their models), but the quality and engineering that goes into a SF is far beyond whatever Fenix can offer (I have several SF's too).

Copier - given the information you've shared, I'd choose the SF, hands down and eyes closed.

I do not have a Surefire but I do have a Fenix L2D and I agree with the above comment regarding Fenix.

I have several other metal body flashlights: RR 2AA, Sam's Element, Coast. When comparing the thread of the tail cap on these with the one on Fenix, they all are couple notches better than the Fenix.

My sense is that Fenix is overpriced for the quality of lights that they offer.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I wouldn't mind seeing the general thickness of the Fenix lights increased, and it shouldn't make THAT much of an increase in the general price, just a little more raw aluminum, as the machining is already decent. My friend's P2D CE has some slight bending damage from having dropped about 8 feet onto rocks. If it were a little beefier, it would probably be only scratched a little with no serious structural damage (ie bending) at all. Only very slight damage though, if you spin the light slowly and look at the reflection of ambient light on the surface of the P2D, you can see a slight misalignment now between the head and the body...

xiaowenzu

Banned
When comparing the thread of the tail cap on these with the one on Fenix, they all are couple notches better than the Fenix.

1+. And don't forget the Maglites too.. even though they aren't the brightest LED lights... the construction, fit and finish of the Mags are still pretty hard to beat, even in today's crowded market. I've got a 6D and I must say the attention to detail is exemplary, second only to the Surefires, INOVA, Novatac and possibly the Gatlight. :grin2:

The fit and finish of Maglites are subperb, and the very narrow tolerances between body, head and tail are proof of a well engineered product. It's has thick Metal for a very low price.
With Chinese made lights in general, there seems to be rough metal edges, parts which are half anodised when they should be fully anodized, threads are roughly made means poor machining job, and parts don't fit together as neatly as one would hope for that high price :shakehead

carrot

Flashaholic
Too bad the Maglites don't perform like they're built. That's why Mags are such popular hosts for hotwires.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Mags have awesome construction especially considering only 9 bucks average. They work great with well-heatsinked LED pills. My real gripe with Mag is the new Magled 2AA / 3AA. HORRIBLE switch reliability. It's too bad they didn't use the same simple switch as an original Mag, but noo, they don't want someone to get ahold of thier revolutionary new LED circuitry technology (yeah right), so they had to seal it all in the lip of that batt compartment.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've owned a couple of Maglites that literally fell apart on me. And one that never should have made it past Q.C.

Still, the rest of my Mags work well. No problems so far.

Warp

Enlightened
Hamburger vs. steaks for "quality" maybe. Not too long ago the tables were reversed for "performance". Now that Surefire's performance is good, What about SWITCH RELIABILITY?? To me, this is extremely important, though you can use a paper clip or other maliable metal object to substitute in an emergency, I would expect a reliable switch from BOTH. BOTH 50 bucks and 300 can be significant purchases with the latter being of course more so. With the name Surefire, I would think reliability would be a BIG DEAL. :( I've seen many reports of U2 switches failing. Both my U2 and all my L / P xD CE have functioned perfectly so far for quite awhile, but still, I feel pretty bad for the people who got bad switches on the Surefires. On the other hand, I have only seen around 2-3 reports of the Fenix switches failing. I want one of those new forward tactical XxD CE clickies.

Funny you mention that.

The switch on my G2 failed...making my Surefires 0 for 1 on reliability.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire may have had some large (but rare) problems with tail caps and the L1, but it's hardly fair to say Surefire is "hamburger". The L4, for example, is still unmatched.

Draz

Newly Enlightened
I say Surefire if you want unmatched quality and of course made in the USA and I say Fenix if you want cutting edge technology, but being made in china does persuade me to stay away. I have one fenix and 4 surefires...go figure.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Surefire may have had some large (but rare) problems with tail caps and the L1, but it's hardly fair to say Surefire is "hamburger". The L4, for example, is still unmatched.

If I could keep only one of my Surefire lights, it'd be my L4.

Latest posts