Fenix P1 or Inova X0 (new)?

rollee

Newly Enlightened
P1 fantastic size, 3W. uses only 1 123A.

X0 1W perfect to hold, much longer lasting, comparable to 3W.

but
which is brighter?
i mean longer throw?
more usable beam pattern?
whiter?

Luxeon I vs Luxeon III.
dont really care about burn time, over an hour is more than enough.

pilou

Enlightened
It's pretty hard to compare the two. Perhaps you are trying to decide between these two types of lights rather than these particular models?

rollee

Newly Enlightened
True they are different type of lights, perhaps i should rephrase my question.
I need a small superbright light to put in my briefcase. General purpose, like walking in a dark parking lot at night, in case if i need to see the inside of my car (through the window) or dropping the keys etc.

i am leaning towards the P1 cause of size and its 'wow' factor, i am using the X0 as a reference point of brightness.
if its brighter than the P1 within 10 feet / 3 m?

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
Well, i think the P1 would be more convenient if it is used as a keychain light. You wouldnt have to open your briefcase and fumble around and put it back in your bag once you are done using it.

The P1 would be ready whenever you need it. Another plus is that you can use rechargeable li-on batteries for the P1. I don't know if the X0 can use those.

For the purposes you stated, both lights are MORE than adequate to fill the objectives.

JML

Enlightened
I have both. The one you choose may depend more on your briefcase than anything else.

The beam patterns are extremely similar, but the X0 has a slightly brighter spill around the hotspot, while the P1 is whiter (the X0 is easier on your eyes, while the P1 seems bluish by comparison). The X0 has a larger bezel, of course, and is twice as long. The workmanship on the X0 is far superior to the Fenix P1. They are really both twisties, I find, because the Inova's push button is incredibly hard to push (the spring inside is larger and longer than it ought to be, IMHO). As far as light goes, they're pretty much the same, but the Fenix gets hotter, faster. It has less metal to act as a heat sink. And, as noted, the Inova will run far longer; if this is for emergency use, that's important.

As I said earlier, your decision may rest more on where you can fit -- and find -- the lights than on anything else, because if you're putting the light inside or attached to your briefcase, you want to be able to find it -- in the dark!

I have a small Fenix L0P with a spring clip attached to one of the shoulder strap D-rings on my Brenthaven computer bag, for exactly the purpose you're talking about. Inside, where it fits in a section of the bag made for pens, etc., I have an Inova T1 just in case I need something with throw. If you have a shoulder strap outside of the case, use the P1. I have my office keys, ID, cell phone, sunglasses case, and a whistle attached to my briefcase's D-rings with spring clips, with other stuff stashed inside. I'm not going to open my case outside my car, or go fishing around inside it when I need light. If you drop your keys in the dark, are you going to be able to open your case and find a light? And if you drop your keys and can't see them without a flashlight, having a flashlight on your key ring is silly...

Of course, inside the car are three lights (Inovas for flood or spot) and 6 spare CR123 batteries.

But on my desk at home is a SureFire U2, an Inova T3, an Inova X0 (reflector), and an Inova X5 (newest version), while the Fenix P1 and a Jil CR2 near my keys, with spring clips to attach them to things. The one I seem to reach for when going outside the house for something is the new X0 (but as I do so I curse that spring).

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
I have the Inova X5 (new and old), XO, XO3, and the P1, and the XO does not match the P1 in either throw or flood ouput; this maybe due to XO's Luxeon I LED (P1 uses Luxeon 3?), but the XO has been out for a while now, so it may employ older tech than the P1.

rollee

Newly Enlightened
JML thank you for your reply. i have the same idea on how to carry my lights, the P1 will be on a d-ring outside my messanger bag. i really like the claw and nylon sheath which comes with it. i always have a SF P6 in my glove box.

I read somewhere here that the new X0 (reflector) is very close in brightness to the X03, i might throw one of those in my other bag, but i just found out about the L4.... :drool:

JML

Enlightened
I was talking about the NEW X0, which has a Luxeon I in a reflector. NOT the old one, with the optic. The new one is a flood, not a spot. And it has 5 hours of regulated bright flat output.

IMHO, the way to carry the P1 is to replace that cheapo claw with a good split ring and a stainless steel Suncor clip.

Last edited:

X Racer

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
Just wondering...but what part of the new XO is comparable to a 3 watter?:huh2:

Actually, the light from the two is VERY comparable, at least in mine. I have a couple P1s, and the new Inova XO with reflector. Brightness is about the same on both. You can see in my sig how many lights I own, and I would say that the P1 is more similar to the new XO than any other light I have. They really are VERY close.

I love the new XO and use it all the time. It is as white as my P1s and has a much nicer beam. A little less throw, but the spot is much smoother. The spot on the P1 is very defined, the XO is very smooth with more spill and a smooth transition from the spot to the spill area.

Build quality easily goes to the Inova, except I think we all agree that the momentary switch needs a redesign. If the size and shape isn't an issue, I'd get the Inova XO. If the small size really appeals to you get the P1.

You really can't go wrong either way, both cool lights.

Dave

Last edited: