Fenix P3D Rebel 100 - Quality issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucio

Newly Enlightened
I just use needle-nose pliers on mine. Insert the tips of the pliers into the two small indentations on the screw-in ring inside the tailcap and unscrew.

oh yeah, those two little holes! I hadn't even thought they could be used to unscrew the tailcap!

and... yes, the problem was there, the whole block was just a little too lose, I only screwed it in with a couple of spins and now it works perfectly.

well, Face, you just made my day!! :D:thumbsup:. THANK YOU!
I doubt it, but who knows after all, if we'd ever meet you have a couple of drinks paid ;)

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
(is it just me)
the first thing i noticed was the big GAPING hole at the bottom of the reflector?
then why are they using a "diffused" reflector with the rebel? i though that was FOR the cree?
i donno, but the first 2 flaws i see are it looks like a quick mod , not a designed FOR rebel.
look like were getting what we want, rebel NOW!

If you think that reflector wasn't made for a Rebel, try putting a Fenix Cree reflector in and see what you get.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh yeah, those two little holes! I hadn't even thought they could be used to unscrew the tailcap!

and... yes, the problem was there, the whole block was just a little too lose, I only screwed it in with a couple of spins and now it works perfectly.

I doubt it, but who knows after all, if we'd ever meet you have a couple of drinks paid ;)

use some blue thread locker to prevent it from backing out

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think that reflector wasn't made for a Rebel, try putting a Fenix Cree reflector in and see what you get.

if it was designed for a rebel, then why is there a huge gap? i have many reflectors, for many different things, and i would never choose one that didnt literally wrap around the item that outputs the light.
is there a good reason to do this? mabey so sombody doesnt whine about the rings that now go into a black hole?
is there a reason why they are using a orange peel diffuse reflector which can have various losses too?

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
if it was designed for a cree, then why is there a huge gap? i have many reflectors, for many different things, and i would never choose one that didnt literally wrap around the item that outputs the light.
is there a good reason to do this? mabey so sombody doesnt whine about the rings that now go into a black hole?

You're misunderstanding me. I'm saying it was designed for a Rebel. If you try one of the Fenix Cree reflectors, smooth or OP, the beam is total crap.

edit; I've read that in the future the big hole will be closed up.

Luminescent

Enlightened
Good to see, not that I was worried about it though. I don't know why people are so worried about the heatsinking of the Rebel. Something tells me that Lumileds knows a tad more about LEDs than most CPFers and I'm pretty sure they've done a tiny bit of research before releasing the Rebel in its current configuration...

I think you are giving the Lumiled morons way too much credit.

First they take the time to push the state of the art up to new highs in lumens/watt then package the Rebel in this CRAPPY little poorly designed asymmetric package.

The heat pad, that everyone is so worried about is not only TINY, it doesn't even cover the area that it could on the bottom of the package! Gee, that seems pretty stupid, doesn't it?

The electrical connection pads are also quite TINY considering the 700mA to 1A of current that you could be pushing through them. This is made worse by the fact that surface mount devices somtimes get placed a little off center, which would further reduce the contact area. Also, they are all the way over at the end of their cockeyed asymmetric package, with only these skinny little conductor tracks along the top of the package to connect to the die. At a time when others are adding additional bond wires to lower Vf, why increase the package resistance unnecessarily in this way? STUPID AGAIN!

I can't think of a single reason for cockeyed little asymetric package (other than the fact that it's cheap to produce), unless the Lumiled folks, aware that CREE, and Soeul will be hot on their heels with higher output chips, figured that they would get clever and come up with this tiny little package that can be 'clustered' (so even if you can't push any more lumens out of the poor little rebel chip, you can just buy three or four and jam them together in a kind of Lumiled Cluster-F...).

A square or only slightly rectangular package with about 20% more width than the current rebel's narrowest dimension, and with the emitter CENTERED and contacts at the ends would be at least as good thermally, and MUCH better for most LED flashlight applications, which use a SINGLE LED and where you have to fit the emitter up inside existing reflector designs.

For those who do need to 'cluster' the rebel chips, or who already have automated production set up for the current design, Lumiled should obviously continue to offer them, but with many IC's and other semiconductor devices already available in multiple package types, I look forward to seeing the Rebel LED die offered in a more intelligently designed package.

So, for the record; I have worked with the Rebels; Love the performance, HATE the packageing.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're misunderstanding me. I'm saying it was designed for a Rebel. If you try one of the Fenix Cree reflectors, smooth or OP, the beam is total crap.

edit; I've read that in the future the big hole will be closed up.

right, and the cree itself had a completly different output that reflectors had to be designed TO to get perfected.

but orange peeling up the reflectors instead of doing all that hard optical math junk, fixes anything :) cept the output, just seems like there is more losses here than the old junk.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't think of a single reason for cockeyed little asymetric package (other than the fact that it's cheap to produce), unless the Lumiled folks, aware that CREE, and Soeul will be hot on their heels with higher output chips, figured that they would get clever and come up with this tiny little package that can be 'clustered' (so even if you can't push any more lumens out of the poor little rebel chip, you can just buy three or four and jam them together in a kind of Lumiled Cluster-F...).

So, for the record; I have worked with the Rebels; Love the performance, HATE the packageing.

i can think of a reason, because its not designed for a flashlight, it has a higher purpose in mind, one that doesnt use 1 light PER unit ?
that fits behind LCD screens and takes 100+ of them? that gets adopted into some manufactured products ? that can go into $4000 overpriced HDTVs? and it takes 400 of them? that goes into some goverment project, that breaks down after 4 uses.? would you believe jumbotrons?

Last edited:

Luminescent

Enlightened
i can think of a reason, because its not designed for a flashlight, it has a higher purpose in mind, one that doesnt use 1 light PER unit ?
that fits behind LCD screens and takes 100+ of them? that gets adopted into some manufactured products ? that can go into $4000 overpriced HDTVs? and it takes 400 of them? that goes into some goverment project, that breaks down after 4 uses.? would you believe jumbotrons?

A LCD screen that uses 100 plus - 100 Lumen LED's . . .

I want one!

Of course you might have to view this 10,000 lumen monster using welding goggles, but that's a small price to pay to be on the cutting edge.

Seriously, I think you have hit on something.

I guess the single ended power pad placement would probably accomadate easier interface to plastic light pipes for some backlight applications, and the apperently stupid gap where the thermal pad is smaller than it should be, may be intended to allow gap in the PC board copper layer to allow control traces to be routed in devices which use complex clusters of LEDs.

The current Rebel packaging still SUCKS for most LED flashlight applications tho. :thumbsdow

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, well i am putting 100 in mine :D because they surely couldnt run at 3W each. what takes the 40Watts now to run a simple square LCD monitor? say about 13-20 watts of highly efficent cool large spectrum florescent type stuff. so mabey 24 rebels :) is that better?

Luminescent

Enlightened
Got a little off topic on the Rebel LED's stupid packaging, and forgot to append my comments about the Fenix light.

As far as I can see, the photo does look square and 'straight on', and YES the emitter does look about a millimeter off center.

YES, I do think this is totally unacceptable.

As I said above, I agree that the clowns who designed the Rebel made it a total PITA to align in flashlight applications (CREE LEDs have a solid metal ring which can nestle right into the back of the reflector for perfect alignment), so I can sympathize with the Fenix-Store's custom shop, but as Yoda said "Do, or Do not, there is no try!"

In other words, if you buy into using the Rebel LED, you buy into it's stupidly engineered package, and just have to deal with it's idiosyncrasies, and get it right anyway. Don't 'try' to get it right, don't get it 'close', get it right! (or don't do it at all)

The spots, dust and other gunk on the inside of the reflector don't look very nice either.

I just got a Kaidomain light that would put out 80 plus lumens for 15 bucks. I added a 10$ CREE Q5 emitter and now have a nice 100 plus lumen screamer for a total investment of about 25 bucks. I mention this because, the inexpensive Kaidomain lights original CREE P4 emitter was a little off center (though the beam shots were PERFECT), and the head was a little loose, and needed to be snugged down, which reminded me of the above Fenix issues.

I guess my point is, for 15 bucks I expected a few minor issues.

[FONT=&quot]
For what these custom Fenix lights cost, I don't.

[/FONT]

Face

Enlightened

You're welcome. Just glad I could be of help.

Enjoy your light!

Face

xiaowenzu

Banned
I have bought about 10 Fenix lights in the past 6 months. I must say I got disappointed twice with its quality control.
I'm saddened to hear that, but it's not suprising because there seems to many issues with the Fenix lights -:whistle: my friend bought a Fenix light not long ago, I think it was the L2D CE, and the it died a week later.. it also become very hot if he left it on for more than a few minutes... most likely due to bad heatsinking. :(Anyways, if you do a search on Fenix issues/problems you will see every possible problem you can think of come up, and they're not cheap either, these Chinese lights. I convinced him to get a Novatac 120T, which he did, and now he's convinced that you get what you pay for.. it's the best light he's ever owned. :D

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I'm saddened to hear that, but it's not suprising because there seems to many issues with the Fenix lights -:whistle: my friend bought a Fenix light not long ago, I think it was the L2D CE, and the it died a week later.. it also become very hot if he left it on for more than a few minutes... most likely due to bad heatsinking. :(Anyways, if you do a search on Fenix issues/problems you will see every possible problem you can think of come up, and they're not cheap either, these Chinese lights. I convinced him to get a Novatac 120T, which he did, and now he's convinced that you get what you pay for.. it's the best light he's ever owned. :D

Bumped a month old thread just to do your typical Fenix bash eh... Were you on holiday?

fenixbash.gif
fenixbash.gif
fenixbash.gif

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

The light becoming hot within a few minutes is NOT a sign of bad heatsinking! In fact, it shows the light makes the heat escape from the LED quite well... I also never had any problem with a Fenix light and I bought a lot (over 10)... By the way STOP this {censored} Fenix bashing! It's like if I was reading another CPF member, that has been banned for at least a month for saying false and uninformed things like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
are you guys again on this?? xiaowenzu has the right to give his/her opinion as he/she 's not employment any disfamatory or bad terms.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
are you guys again on this?? xiaowenzu has the right to give his/her opinion as he/she 's not employment any disfamatory or bad terms.

Sure, an opinion.. Fine. But this moron uses every single post mentioning Fenix as an opportunity to bash Fenix. It's stupid, it's useless, and it's annoying.

Maybe I should reply to every single Surefire post that if you search for Surefire you'll find lots of problems with bulbs blowing and switches that are crap.

It would be just as narrow minded and pointless, but I'll have a go if you like?

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I should reply to every single Surefire post that if you search for Surefire you'll find lots of problems with bulbs blowing and switches that are crap.
yep i've seen many of those SF threads , it's a bit more delicate if you think at the price of these lamps
It would be just as narrow minded and pointless, but I'll have a go if you like?
as you like :candle:, I just think it should be an admin job , threads go nowhere with many people reitiring the same, maybe just ignore...:whistle:, :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.