Fenix retaining ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashatron

Banned
All I really wanted was to buy a quality switch. Like it or not, any switch with a non locking retaining ring is cheap, unreliable inferior crap. It is the weakest link, most likely to cause a failure.

This is what I got out of this thread:

People like to buy cheap unreliable crap.
People enjoy tightening crap.
Some people carry twigs to tighten crap in the field in a pinch (that was my favorite)
People don't care if they own crap.
A fool and their money are soon parted.
If you manufacture inferior crap. People will buy it

What I don't understand is why people on a flashlight forum will own unreliable, poorly designed crap? I am honestly shocked people would defend this crap switch. I am shocked and embarrassed to be on this forum at this point.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I really wanted was to buy a quality switch. Like it or not, any switch with a non locking retaining ring is cheap, unreliable inferior crap. It is the weakest link, most likely to cause a failure.

This is what I got out of this thread:

People like to buy cheap unreliable crap.
People enjoy tightening crap.
Some people carry twigs to tighten crap in the field in a pinch (that was my favorite)
People don't care if they own crap.
A fool and their money are soon parted.
If you manufacture inferior crap. People will buy it

What I don't understand is why people on a flashlight forum will own unreliable, poorly designed crap? I am honestly shocked people would defend this crap switch. I am shocked and embarrassed to be on this forum at this point.

I'm sure I probably speak for the majority here, go take a hike if that is going to be your attitude towards us.

People have tried to give honest answers and you just want to keep trolling. You implied in your other thread Fenix owners are slums when you said "for me to buy a Fenix is slumming it", then now you call us fools because we buy lights with retaining rings, you have made a broad statement that every single flashlight manufacture who uses a retaining ring is junk, and you have no respect for people trying to help you. You have 14 posts and all of those are hating on manufacturers (that you seem to have no experience with) or hating on members.

I recommend you go climb back into whatever Surefire fan club you came from if you have don't want to take honest advice. You are making a way bigger deal than needs be over this. You say you are shocked and embarrassed to be here? I would be too if I came to a forum as the new guy and treated everyone the way you have. If you don't like us, then don't bother visitng anymore.

Now on the other hand if you want to be a little more open minded, stop the hating on every manufacturer, and stop down grading us because of the lights we own, I'm sure we can all put this behind us, start fresh, and continue to have a nice time here, heck we may even be able to help you accomplish what you are looking for. In order to do that though there needs to be an attitude adjustment. So, what do you prefer?

Mods if this post is inappropriate or may cause issue feel free to delete it and if im out of line please pm in.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
A retaining ring is nothing more than a screw-type mechanism that allows a mechanical product to be serviced rather than discarded when it fails. We've been using them for a long time. Cars, airplanes, bicycles, firearms all have serviceable parts held together with screw-type mechanisms designed to stay tight until you need to service the part. The retaining ring in a flashlight tailcap is actually quite elegant. A steel retaining ring reverse-threaded into an aluminum tailcap impinges upon a thrust washer that presses against an elastomer (the flange on the button itself). This allows the static friction (when properly tightened) to be greater than the static friction of the retaining ring against the body of the flashlight. Now if there is a small burr on the ring itself or the mating surface of the body of the flashlight it might tend to overcome the static friction holding the retaining ring in place when you remove the tailcap. If so, just file off the burr. I probably have 50 flashlights with retaining rings. One came from the factory with a loose ring. The others only come loose when I am servicing the tailcap (replacing a worn switch). I've never had a problem with any of my Fenix lights. Lights with switches permanently sealed together require the entire tailcap be replaced when the switch fails. All switches eventually fail. Ideally this happens at or beyond the end of the life of the entire assembly. Sometimes it doesn't. I like to be able to service my lights. The OP has a different set of preferences. I don't know that a resolution is likely given the tone of this thread. To answer the original question, "No I know of no third party tailcaps for Fenix lights". Apparently there isn't much interest in such a product.

nbp

Flashaholic
Based on the fact that the OP has no interest in any of the comments of the other posters nor even in showing basic respect in this thread we're going to shut this one down.

I'd like to thank all of the commenters for remaining very civil and helpful despite the generally bad attitude demonstrated by the OP. You all make this forum great. :)

Flashatron - check your attitude or you will quickly find yourself off this forum. We do not tolerate continued flaming and baiting posts around here. If you can figure out how to play nice with others you will undoubtedly find this an excellent forum. Otherwise go be "shocked and embarrassed" somewhere else.

Empath

Flashaholic
Flashatron has been banned (not particularly for his behavior in this thread} for improper registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts