"Fenix Thumb"...am I alone?

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
i have PD30 and LD20. IMHO fenix switches are a bit uncomfy. my suggestion is that Fenix in their next models should put additional knurling so that i or we can get a better body grip on their flashlights.

bob4apple

Enlightened
I gotta say I wish all lights had the same switch and placement
as the C and D mags. There's no need to move your thumb to the
back of the light, which I find to always be awkward.

Yup, switch on top of the tube is more ergonomic for me, and I'm certain it
must be for others.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Not sure I agree with that - it depends a lot on how you are using the light.

The issue here is with the stiffness / recessed nature of the Fenix switch, rather than its placement, as evidenced by the various comments from those who don't have the same problem with other lights like the D10.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta say I wish all lights had the same switch and placement
as the C and D mags. There's no need to move your thumb to the
back of the light, which I find to always be awkward.

Yup, switch on top of the tube is more ergonomic for me, and I'm certain it
must be for others.

While I agree we need more lights with a up-front switch like M@G and millions of lights before them it is not always the best. I do love having the Proton-Pro though with it's forward switch.

Many highpowered lights were primarily used by military and lawe enforcement. These customers "need" the tactical switch, on many of their lights.

Many light light physical designs also work better with the tail switch, while this is a engineering issue, it's also a cosmetic issue for the customer so the tail switch has its astetic benefits for some as well.

You may have noticed the recent wave of twist-ring lights. These are putting the control up front, although many still include the tail switch as well so as not to lose the tactical customers, or for engineering reasons.

I love the new Eagletac M2XC4 with no tail-switch.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the P2D and P3D original styles were just a little hard to hang on to if I was in a hurry because of how smooth they are. It's one reason the Novatac style or HDS/Ra lights took over as primary EDC since they are both knurled and have a reduced diameter 'waist' making it much easier to grip as well as a much lighter push button with shorter travel. Also the Liteflux LF3XT which IMO is a P2D better in every way has a bit more grip and lighter tail switch action. I wouldn't use a light a lot if it was that much trouble to turn on or grip.

Latest posts