Fenix TK22 vs TK16

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
These lights look really comparable. The TK22 seems to have a longer max distance and intensity as well as a little longer run time. I also see the TK22 has an even beam with really no hotspot. Other than this why would you choose one over the other?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a fan of both lights. As for beams what are you looking for? The 16 has a fatter hot spot and is designed for shorter range. The 22, despite what it looks like on Fenix TK22 page is more well defined than than what they show, has a hot spot close to half the size. The total beam pattern width out of the 22 is greater than that of the 16. Honestly the 22's profile diameter is VERY wide and quite useful. Use 2xCR123 in the 22 and you get 1000 lumens.

The TK16 has a double walled tube design which is extremely strong. The 16's new double switch tail takes getting used to and being a new design does not have all the kinks worked out of it. You may or may not get a 16 with a properly functioning double switch tail. There are reports here on the forum of the 16's double switch tail either malfunctioning or totally failing. On the other hand some get copies of the 16 and have no issues.

My opinion, get the TK22 2014 edition. It is reliable as a hammer, has roughly 20k CD throw a MASSIVE beam with zero artifacts, well spaced modes, excellent aluminum grip ring and is a design that has been around a few years and is proven. I want a TK16 but already have equivalent size/output/profile lights such as the Eagletac T25C2 XP-L HD. Am waiting to read about Fenix improving on the 16's double switch tail before I buy.

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
I am a fan of both lights. As for beams what are you looking for? The 16 has a fatter hot spot and is designed for shorter range. The 22, despite what it looks like on Fenix TK22 page is more well defined than than what they show, has a hot spot close to half the size. The total beam pattern width out of the 22 is greater than that of the 16. Honestly the 22's profile diameter is VERY wide and quite useful. Use 2xCR123 in the 22 and you get 1000 lumens.

The TK16 has a double walled tube design which is extremely strong. The 16's new double switch tail takes getting used to and being a new design does not have all the kinks worked out of it. You may or may not get a 16 with a properly functioning double switch tail. There are reports here on the forum of the 16's double switch tail either malfunctioning or totally failing. On the other hand some get copies of the 16 and have no issues.

My opinion, get the TK22 2014 edition. It is reliable as a hammer, has roughly 20k CD throw a MASSIVE beam with zero artifacts, well spaced modes, excellent aluminum grip ring and is a design that has been around a few years and is proven. I want a TK16 but already have equivalent size/output/profile lights such as the Eagletac T25C2 XP-L HD. Am waiting to read about Fenix improving on the 16's double switch tail before I buy.

Awesome Thanks Celtic! Primary use will be for a mountable canoe bow navigation light but secondary will be for hunting for purposes like tracking. The other purpose will be just an all around good flashlight for tasks around the farm.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
mountable conoe navigation light? Hunting and tracking? All around good light for the farm? That my friend actually sounds like a job for the TK32. As long as you can put up with the 32's wide reflector you get a dead on 40k CD, huge beam, far reaching tight and defined hot spot and red, blue and green secondary LED's for things like tracking blood trails. TK32 was also designed to be mounted on a long gun and has a pressure switch available for it. Unlike the TK16, the double switch tail on the 32 has had no reported issues. I suggest you go to the reviews section of the forum there are 2 or 3 out standing reviews on the TK32. Stone cold dead on 400 meter throw and underrated by Fenix at 900 lumens it actually kicks out 953 OTF. I use the TK32 as a standard by which to judge other smaller throwers. Only drawback on the 32 is its short timed step downs which have been judged unnecessary as the TK32's heat sinking is just that good the light just doesnt get hot.

The reviews section also has 2 TK16 reviews one good one bad. In the bad one the reviewers sample showed up with a switch that didnt even work. Since you have described needing a light for activities and situations that need a light with some range on it I would thus count out the 16. The TK22 and TK32 are 2 of the best high output LED lights I have ever bought but in your situation I would suggest the TK32. TK32 also comes with an unusually high quality belt sheath.

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
I did look at that one heavily...but the size and weight is the only thing holding me back on it.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright. It really sounds like you need something with 30k+ CD but the TK22 is a tank. Will throw this one out there as a pocketable high output thrower. Eagletac T25C2 XP-L HI. The beam diameter is only 3/4 the TK22 but it has nearly twice the throw of the 22. Its a head twisting mode changing system to go through outputs though.

You should be able to get a good deal on the 22,32 and 16 through Fenix Store.com. Heres a trick, when you go to Fenix Store.com create an account, choose whichever light you are trying to get, put it in your cart then log out. You should receive an email from them within a day offering 10% off if you go back to your cart and buy it.

For the longest runtimes get a pair of either Keeppower or Orbtronic 3500mah 18650s. Have a charger? These lights will run off CR123 primaries but only at 3/4 the run time on average as that of a high mAh 18650. Sounds like whenever youll be using whichever light you decide on you will be doing it for a good bit of the night. Take a charged spare with you. The high modes on all these lights are plenty bright on their own and should net you much longer time before you need to change cells. There are 3600mah 18650's but for some reason they havnt been sold in months. Good luck.

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
awesome thanks! I'm gonna go back to looking at the lights again lol. I will definitely have a spare battery. I'll try that with the Fenix site....I was looking at Mountain Electronics for the batteries and charger. I think I'm going to go with the Xtar VP2 and the Panasonic NCR 18650B Protected 3400mAh....I'm just not sure they will fit thought. The are a little bit bigger than the Fenix 3400mAh as well as the Orbtronic 3400mAh.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
not only will the 3400 fit both the 3500 and now suddenly vanished 3600 will fit dont worry about it. Xtar is a wise choice Ive got the VC4 and it is the best multi chem charger Ive had.

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
not only will the 3400 fit both the 3500 and now suddenly vanished 3600 will fit dont worry about it. Xtar is a wise choice Ive got the VC4 and it is the best multi chem charger Ive had.

I thought I had settled on the TK22, but looking again at the TK32, it's a really nice light and not even a full ounce heavier. One thing I'm in between on is the beam spread. The wider beam of the TK22 could be more helpful in tracking a deer since most of my terrain is thicker wooded, but the TK32 would be nice for a canoe mount light. Maybe I need to get both LOL...I'm still looking at headlamps too. I like everything about the HL55 but not sure how wide the beam is.

Who's a good person to buy the Keeppower's from? I see Orbtronic has the 3400 and 3500's in stock. Mountain Electronics has the Panasonic's for $9 something...for the price diff. does 100mAh make that much difference?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the USA, Illumn is a popular seller of KeepPower batteries.

I bought some protected KeepPower 3400 mAh batteries from them last May. They are based on the Panasonic NCR18650B.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the USA, Illumn is a popular seller of KeepPower batteries.

I bought some protected KeepPower 3400 mAh batteries from them last May. They are based on the Panasonic NCR18650B.
I bought ten of these batteries from Illumination Supply and was pleased with both batteries and service.